Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Tulsa , Oklahoma
New Airstreamer

We've just purchased a new Airstream (2008 International FB) in Arkansas and pulled it back home to Tulsa, OK. We spent the night at Lake Dardenelle State Park in Russellville, AR just to test out as much of the trailer as possible. Everything seem to work fine, and we found the unit to be very comfortable and enjoyable. We've rented Class A's & C's before, but this is our first experience with an Airstream. Needless to say, we've got lots to learn.

My question has to do with the tow vehicle. I have a 2002 Tundra with a the big V8 and towing package. I had Airstream of Arkansas (nice folks) install a weight-distribution hitch and electric breaks. Is the Tundra enough of a tow vehicle to pull the 25 footer? Has anyone had any experience pulling this size trailer with a Tundra? Any advice on making it as easy as possible?

While I have little towing experience, it seemed to do okay.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Ozzieboy...congrats on your new Airstream! I'll bet it's a beauty! And welcome to the forum...you'll find al lot of information here to get you going.

I'm not the one to answer you question definitively...but there are lots of folks here who can give you good opinions. In the meantime, check out this sub-forum on towing...you may find your answer there...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/

You've got some great times ahead of you in your new Aristream!

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Ozzieboy - Welcome to the Forums! All Airstreams have electric brakes. Do you mean disk brakes? If so, that's a nice move! The answer to your tow vehicle question is in your truck's owners manual and a good understanding of what that means.

First off -- the soon to be revised Airstream website doesn't have your model's tongue weight, but their old site says it is in the range of 750#. Aftermarket options? Did you get a spare tire? That would add additional tongue weight. Your weight distribution gear and full LP tanks add most of their small additional weights to the tongue weight. Start putting your personal gear inside the trailer and you could be at 900 pounds or more tongue weight before you know it.

There are other sources, but Airstream FAQs has a good starting explanation of loadings. Your manual will say for sure, but Edmunds shows a number of '02 Tundra models and gives specs -- for instance, a V8 4 door 4WD Extended Cab has a Maximum Payload (or payload capacity) of 1336#. Since 900# of this payload capacity is being used for tongue weight, that leaves very little margin for driver, passengers, truck cap, gear in the bed, etc.

Listed towing capacity and GCWR might suggest you are okay. But you should exceed no capacity numbers and maximum payload is as important as they get. Much is written here about not going higher than 80-85% of any capacity number -- and that is further than I wish to go tonight.

My take is that you can safely pull the trailer home and probably start some Fall camping trip planning -- if you keep other weights in your truck to a minimum. I faced the same issue and nearly the same payload capacity with a Nissan Titan 1/2-ton I had when I bought my '06 25' FB SE. I definitely believe you should start researching toward a heavier duty tow vehicle. 3/4-ton trucks, SUVs or passenger vans are considerations. Some higher capacity 1/2-ton models may have numbers to fit your situation (eg, GM/Chev have their HD models) -- but this will take looking closer at numbers -- something to research over the winter?

Ask away -- and I hope we can get a good assortment of suggestions.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

No matter how you slice it, the Tundra is a half ton truck. No half ton truck is a really capable tow vehicle for a trailer approaching 8000# with a 750# tongue weight. This combination would not be within my towing comfort zone.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The 2007 San Antonio Tundras with the 5.7L (click capacities) are a different breed of cat compared to earlier models. They're a strong 1/2-ton truck -- capacities similar to GM's HD (heavy duty) line? But compare before running with this unresearched observation!

New models need to be watched for a while. I haven't seen many posts by members who've towed a lot with this combo. Try keywords 2007 Tundra in the search function. Mountains & mileage while towing are the usual problem areas. The whole rear end & transmission durability is an unknown. Always have a tranny cooler! (good if part of tow package).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote