Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #81
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter
Hi Terry,

Thanks. I'm researching the years you suggest. I have a feeling it's going to take a while before I find the right one.

M.W.
If you want an Airstream with a grey water tank, you are limited to 1974 and newer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
If you want an Airstream with a grey water tank, you are limited to 1974 and newer.
Those can be added from what I understand?

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #83
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Not very easily. They were not designed for them. The time they are usually added is the shell off restoration.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #84
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Not very easily. They were not designed for them. The time they are usually added is the shell off restoration.
Our Argosy 20 had a 10 gallon grey tank retrofitted to it, cost to the PO was about $500. The black and grey tanks then were 10 gallons each. Some 73 models came with grey tanks also, that is something to check over before purchase.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #85
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Those can be added from what I understand?
About as easily as adding plumbing to a house without it! If you're planning on buying one and living in it, get one with the tanks already installed, be it vintage or later model. I used a blue tank with both my '61 Bambi and '70 Safari for grey water. It wasn't fun.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Okay. I'll add it to my list of considerations. I agree, i want a grey matter tank. - M.W.

"
Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Check the Forums Classifieds!

There are several VERY nice newer model Airstreams for sale there - 25 ft and less. There are also some 31 and 34 footers which always seem to be sold at bargain rates compared to their list prices when new. (And these are far more likely to be in "as advertised" condition than anything listed on e-bay).

If you're concerned about towing mileage, don't forget that you aren't moving your trailer every day, or most times even every week. I tend to move mine about once every month, then unhook for a week to a month. If you have a bicycle or scooter for short runs, and use your tow vehicle sparingly, the gas won't kill you even if you get a 34' Airstream. (If you go that big get a diesel for better torque and mileage when you DO tow.)

On the gray and black water tanks, most vintage and small units have very small tanks. Not good for fulltiming. I empty my gray tank about every 4-5 days, and it's a 34 gallon one. That's bathing and dishwashing water. (A man might use 9 gallons a week....) Unless you use paper plates, plastic silverware, paper towels and don't cook other than microwave, you're going to hate a small gray tank. You can carry water from your sink to your toilet and divert gray into your black tank, but you'll be happier as a fulltime with a bigger gray tank.

Take a look, one is just like mine, a 25 FB SE with the midnight sun interior (good if ever spill coffee).

Paula Ford
Old 04-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Really good point, Paula. And you're right, I don't want to move more than once a month. Maybe less than that at times even, so I can understand the importance of water tanks. Gosh, I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm going to take a break for a day or two. I've been spending hours and hours reading about trailers, tow vehicles, electrical systems, water pumps, camp sites, vintage trailers, history of airstreams and so on. I'm getting too obsessed. I better just take a deep breath.

M.W.

"
Old 04-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
hee hee

Aluminitis... it's incurable.

You got it gal.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aluminitis? Is it normal for the disease to come on so suddenly?

Something strange happened today. I was out today shopping with my mother, who knows nothing of all this. She mentioned I should get a new car, a Mini-Cooper. I said, "No, I'm getting a Ford F250 10-cylinder gas." She looked at me almost shocked and said, "What's that?" I said, "It's a monster of a truck, and I'm going to rule the road."

Now, where did those words come from? What's happened to me? I'm sick.

M.W.

"
Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Aluminum fever is a serious factor that cannot be taken lightly. It requires almost immediate gratification, and if left untended it can cause one to do all kinds of foolish things. Commensurate with aluminum fever is TV fever. The two do need to be addressed pretty much in tandem, and the only known cure is acquisition of both. No one truly knows where this delightful malady came from but we do know that an early and major carrier was a couple named Wally and Stella. They became patron saints to many around the globe also suffering from this malady, and they even came up with several solutions to assist people through their trials and tribulations.

Barry (now where the heck did THAT come from?)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:46 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Thumbs up Alum-i-nitus....

Myra -

The malady you have 'aquired' is easily identified as "Aluminitus", likely an early case. There is NO known 'Treatment' other than liberal AirStream interaction.... this is likely a life-long affliction.

Glad to have to tell you that...!!!

Recommended treatment:

#1. Get that big HONKIN TV you told your mom about....! It WILL mitigate the Aluminitus symptoms for a few hours...
#2. Get yourself a 34'er. They are the biggest "TUBE" of AS salve there is. Not to mention they are relatively the best value. They also have TONS of room - storage, living, cooking, lounging, bathroom, tanks, etc....

You'll be cured! and a card carrying member of the best group to be found on the Web or anywhere....!!!!!! AirStreamers!

That is a bankable statement.

Seriously, if all the info here (and elsewhere) is overwhelming, then take a break.... and come back tomorrow.... can you REALLY stay away LONGER????

Tomorrow is another day, there WILL be another AS that will come up, there are always options!

Another thought.... someday soon, ONE! AirStream WILL reach out and SPEAK to you.... might be in person, over the net, info from a friend...whatever.... It WILL "Speak" to you if you are listening! Even then, there are a myriad checks that will need to be done, but that is a GREAT starting off point.

You seem to have a terrific personality.... let that be your guide... YOUR AS is out there, and it WILL find you.

Axel
SilverToy

BTW, if you can't tell, I think that BIG IS BETTER!!!!! You'll never have to 'upgrade' with a 34'...! They are terrific units. Room for all you could EVER want to do in a TT, and then there is the "Cachet" and all the "envy" from every other camper in the place.... Not neccesary, but FUN! non-the-less.
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #93
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

I'm sick.

M.W.
Only in a good way...
Old 04-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Hillsboro , Texas
welcome kid
i am a single guy with a dog
i have a 22' 2003 int that i tow with a 2002 tundra
i love it
home base is NTAC [ north texas airstream comunity] and it is cheap here in texas. i just moved here from calif. would never go back. look me up if your ever out this way.
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hello Myra,New on Ebay theres a 79 airstream argosy 6.0 (19') minuet.The current bid was $1000.Item # 220107796535.Loooks to be in very good shape.A minuet is slightly narrower than a standard airstream.You may want to check it out. Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hi Brian,

I'm looking at it. It's not bad looking. I'd have to update the interior. Trouble is that I can't get to Missouri too easily to actually see it. I'm watching it on ebay.

eBay Motors: 1979 Argosy 6.0 Metre Minuet by Airstream (item 220107796535 end time May-06-07 18:50:50 PDT)

"
Old 04-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #97
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Hi Brian,

I'm looking at it. It's not bad looking. I'd have to update the interior. Trouble is that I can't get to Missouri too easily to actually see it. I'm watching it on ebay.

eBay Motors: 1979 Argosy 6.0 Metre Minuet by Airstream (item 220107796535 end time May-06-07 18:50:50 PDT)
It's also for sale here in the classifieds:http://www.airforums.com/classifieds...uct=3575&cat=6
Old 04-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Myra, Always check airforums.com classified and then other classified sites.

e bay less price...in my opinion more problems.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Trouble is that I can't get to Missouri too easily to actually see it.
If you are seriously interested, there is a list of volunteers at the ready to check out distant trailers...maybe someone from the list would be willing to look at this one (or others) for you.

If there isn't anybody near the trailer you are considering, ask for a volunteer...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The Argosy looks okay. My heart is not doing any leaps. Also, I'm not comfortable buying a trailer on ebay this far away. i need to see it with my own eyes. I'm too inexperienced at this point to know what I'm doing. My gut tells me to wait and get one out of the classifieds. i don't want to use up the volunteers' time running around the country. No hurry. I need to be sure of what I'm doing. If it takes another three months, so be it.

M.W.

"