Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #1

1971 27' Overlander
Windham , Ohio
Hi! Big project ahead.

Hello everyone! I'm so happy to have found your forum! We have had our 1971 Overlander for just three days, but have been waiting for our Airstream to "find us" for a long time. Right now we are still at the cleaning up stage. I'm looking forward to reading as many threads as I can here, and perhaps asking a few questions as we go (ok, maybe dozens of questions!).

Can anyone suggest a good cleaning solution and polish for the exterior? I've read about Nuvite and Rolite, but they are awfully expensive, and I'm unsure about what grade to start with, and how much I'll need. Thanks everyone! I look foreward to getting to know you.
Ovlndrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have been to a polishing demonstration and watched as Nuvite has done its job on a 1952 Airstream. Yes it is costly but you do not need to use as much of the product as you will of the cheaper products. I was sold. Contact Steve at Vintage Trailer and Supply and ask for a copy of his polishing pamphlet.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/
Old 07-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Glad to see another new member from Ohio who also happens to have a 71 Overlander. Just got ours the first week of July and it spent most of it's time at a dealer waiting to get in for wheel bearing service, etc.. Just move it to a lot where we can begin the clean up. We plan to do the exterior last - lots of things we want to do inside first. We have photos posted if you care to look.

So far the Forum has been great - tons of info. and very helpful members. Enjoy the new toy..!
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome!

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on finding just the right Airstream!

If you use the search button in the blue banner area you can type in a key word to find answers to many questions. Also look at the portal and go through the different forums listed to find a general area to surf. So much information here ! it is amazing! Questions, just ask and someone will post answers...

Be sure and attend a local rally as soon as possible! You won't regret it! Forum rallys are usually simply awesome! Check the rally calendar in the blue banner area and search for ones near you!

Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The best advice I could offer is to start slow, do not get sidetracked each time you see an item that might need attention.
Start low...the floor, and leaks, etc. Move up and thru inside and then start outside. This way you will have your interior ready for use, and the outside is the icing on the aluminum cake!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:43 AM   #6

1971 27' Overlander
Windham , Ohio
Thanks so much for your kind relpies! Chaplain Kent, I already bookmarked the vintage trailer supply sight, but didn't notice the pamphlet when I first looked at it. Thanks so much!

My husband and I have taken a divide and conquer approach so far, lol! I've been working on removing 40 pounds of mouse poo (I did say BIG project, didn't I?), and disinfecting every square inch of the interior, and he has been working on getting the outside presentable enough so that the neighbors don't form an angry mob . Once that is through we will rip up the carpet, chuck out the soft furnishings,and really see where to begin. One the outside it is solid as a rock. Inside the floor doesn't seem to have any soft spots, and there is no mold smell, so we're hopeful that not too much will have to be replaced structurally. The one thing I can say for sure is that the current potty is GOING...oh yes, it's going.
Ovlndrmom is offline   Reply With Quote