Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Offer ....

hollybeth, Looking at the pictures it appears a little like all the original items are there. Do all the gas (propane) items work? The refrigerator should work on propane as well as electric. If the water heater and furnace, as well as refer and stove/oven are represented as known good and worked when last used you should still have them cleaned and checked for proper operation as soon as you can. Best to have all the appliances checked by a knowledgeable person trained to service RV appliances. Unless axles have been replaced recently you WILL have to replace them and purchase new tires. Any tire (no matter how good they look on the outside) that is over 5 years old from manufacture date on the tire should be replaced as the are basically a blow-out waiting to happen. If they hold air inflate them to pressure range on tire and pull trailer out of the field to where it is on solid ground so it will be easier to remove wheels and replace tires before you try to pull it at ANY road speeds. Make them an offer you are comfortable with ..... if all inspection list items check out okay. Remember that longer trailers suffer more issues with rear end separation and frame issues. I would start by asking the owner if they have a clear title! That would be a first priority! Then ask how long has it sat since it was last towed and for how far was it last towed. Also, ask if owner has any idea what amount they would like to get for the trailer. Or you could start at a low offer of your own and see what reaction you get from them. Make them aware of all the "Issues" you find with the trailer upon your inspection. Take loads of notes during your walk through. Which leads me to ask you to check here on the website to see if an inspector is available to go with you to do a thorough inspection before you make any offer. I was quoted a price for my '67 before I ever got a chance to really look at it. It was such a great deal for me that I agreed to go look at it at that price and after inspection I bought it for $1000.00 and pumped up the dry rotted tire with fix-a-flat and towed it off the property as soon as possible before he raised the price! Mine like yours looked in original condition on first look but still needed a lot of TLC. That was '04 and I have only camped in it in my driveway so far. I've invested about $3000.00 into it so far but am still very happy that I have it! That said the '80's trailers (Beatrice Years) have there own issues yet there are some great trailers to be found out there. Think diamond in the rough! Again, if the owner wants to know what you are willing to pay ask....What is it worth to you to have it off your land and know that someone who wants it and will get use out of it is willing to take it away. If they still want you to offer a dollar amount start low and if the have pause then ask if they now have a number in mind that the two of you can haggle over until you reach an amount that you both are happy with. Meeting in the middle from that perspective can be very rewarding for buyer and seller and in some cases can save you as the buyer from over spending to get the deal done! Hope this works out for you as this would appear as a good first Airstream for you to undertake. Also, remember to take the journey of ownership slow and do what needs to be done to make it safe first! You can always camp as you go and enjoy it more. Make note of repairs and upgrades you want to do as time and money allow. Best to make memories while you work on making it your own. Hope this helps a little. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote