Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Van Nuys , California
he he he

Dear All,

I am a new member, and I feel a little like I'm flying blind. But I know of no other place that would be better for me to be.

Some quick background: I just sold my Itasca 37 foot motor home, because my wife thought it was too big and was deathly afraid to see me trying to drive it (I'm partially handicapped, having had a stroke some 10 years ago). After it was sold, I was walking around bumping into trees and buildings and other people. And we determined that perhaps the sale was a bit hasty. So now I am looking for the coziness and, dare I say it, the beauty of an Airstream.

Here are some of my many questions concerning the airstream: how do the systems, water, electrical, heat, air conditioning compare with my Itasca? Does the airstream have shore hookups for electrical and TV and city water, etc.?

I think those questions are enough to start with, but fear not, I have MANY more.

It's a pleasure to be in your company.

The newbie,
Pilgrimsoul
Pilgrimsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, welcome to the forum. Pretty much all RVs have the same or similar hook ups. I wonder though, if going from a motorhome to a trailer, would be any more easier for you. Your motorhome was 37' long and my set-up is 44' long. Honestly, you might be better off with a much smaller motorhome. I don't know your abilities or what size trailer you are thinking about.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Even a small Airstream trailer with a tow vehicle is going to be longer, though not as tall, as your Itasca. Bob's (the poster above) truck and trailer are about average in size, so what you end up with will most likely be about the same length. My tow vehicle and trailer together are 49 feet long.
A plus will be you will be driving the tow vehicle daily (probably), and will be a lot more used to driving it.
Airstream Classic (aluminum) motor homes are also not as tall, and they only ever built 12 motor homes that were as long as your Itasca. It may not be a bad idea to look over the motor home option before plunging into trailer ownership.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Trailering isn't as simple as Class A. There is alot of manual labor into setting up and breaking down and driving is much different than an A. Try driving with one in tow if you can find a dealer willing to do that. Why not try a C class?
There are lots of options out there...any RV shows coming to your area soon?
Just some thoughts...
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Van Nuys , California
Dear All,

Thank You. Your replies are exactly what I was hoping for. Expertise that I do not have myself.

Many thanks,
Pilgrimsoul
Pilgrimsoul is offline   Reply With Quote