Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #1

1972 31' Excella 500
Los Angeles , California
72 31' excella 500

New to the board and I decided to say hello here after lurking around abit. I am a proud new owner of a 31' excella 500.

So far things seem to be in good shape for it age, with the exception of the carpet.
I just purchased this silver twinkie and towed it home to Oregon without any problems. It has a double bed in the back with the center bath. I was very happy to get the orginal sales litureture, owners manual, appliance paperwork and service manual. Everything seems to be in functional order. I haven't used the stove as I need different propane tanks to be filled up. Every night now you can find me on this forum reading and reading and reading. It seems at work all I can talk about is this airstream. Is there any cure for this, or am I cursed?
Hope you enjoy the pics
more to come soon!!!!

Ben
moparben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey, moparben...welcome aboard and congratulations on the AS! Isn't it a good feeling?? Sounds like she's in good shape! Keep us informed as you go... Thanks for this pics...we likes pics.

And, no, there's no cure. But as you know, you will find lots of folks here happy to be "enablers" to your illness!

Happy Trails and Tales...TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi Ben, and welcome on board!

sHE LOOKS LIKE A BEAUTY!

Those axles look a a bit low, you might want to read up on axles and height.

Search on axles, for some good informative reading!
Congrats!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Looks like you got a good one. I agree with Michael. The axles look mighty low to me, too. With a trailer that old, its long overdue for new axles.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #5

1972 31' Excella 500
Los Angeles , California
I was kinda thinking about that, but trying not see it. Thanks for the tip. There's a bunch of work yet to be done just like everyone else. I just can't decide to start tear it apart or just use it for a while.

Ben
moparben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Axles!!

Congrats on your purchase. I wholeheartedly agree with previous posts and strongly encourage you to consider axle replacement before much use.

Put me in the "true believer" category when it comes to axles. I never did replace them on my '72 Overlander before I sold it, but did replace them on my '73 Sovereign this spring. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It rides so much better! Here is a good Before/After comparison.

Not only does it restore the suspension your Airstream was designed to enjoy (protecting your investment (shell/floor/frame/interior) from excessive vibration), it also provides brand new brakes and bearings, and peace of mind knowing your 6000 lb is operationally safe to tow. New tires would definitely be on my list as well, unless they're less than 3 years old.

A wheel coming off or tire blowout will easily cause more damage to the skin/wheel well than the cost of new axles or tires.

Sounds excessive, I know, especially for a newbie. But your axles are SHOT (especially from the streetside pic) and are providing no cushion at all IMHO. New axles aren't necessary if you plan to keep it in your driveway, but if you plan to travel much, I'd suck it up and do it. You'll be glad you did.

A set of Dexters can most likely be ordered locally for less than $1000 with NeverLube hubs and shock mounts and installed with little more effort than OEM, at least according to my experience. PM me if you have any questions regarding details.

Good luck on restoration. It's lots of fun!
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote