Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
San Jose , California
New guy, '67 Overlander!

Hello all.... Starting a thread as an introduction, I think this is the (a?) right place to do that. It's my second post, so all feedback welcome but please be gentle.

I'm Erich, I live in San Jose, and have loved Airstreams for a long time. I pending bit of home remodel got me looking for a way for the cat, pup and I to camp in the backyard for a while, and while looking around I found a project Overlander in my area. Being a glutton for punishment, now I have a project before the project! I mean, I COULD have bought some 80's box on wheels in somewhat better shape, but what fun would THAT be?

So my plan is to do some work on my lovely new project in the near term, make it fully weatherproof and (roughly) liveable, then take a short hiatus while temporarily using it as housing. While my pets are pretty well-behaved, I'm allowing for a bit of mayhem, so do not intend to do a full restoration until we're moved back into the house.

The Overlander is, or seems to be, a typical neglected Craigslist buy. It was listed with leaks, one missing (39" driver side) window, a cracked (12x12) skylight, and a pretty beaten up and mostly destroyed Astradome, including the unique lifters being so rusted the will not move. On the drive from the coast near Santa Cruz where I acquired it back to my place, the trailer managed to shed one tail light housing, and the main door. So, I've got some work to do. Good thing I'm handy and optimistic. I've already made my first two orders at Vintage Trailer Supply.

Before I fully turn this into my project thread, some questions for the assembled wisdom:

1. Is this the right/ a good place to start this sort of blog/restoration thread? If not, where might be?

2. I'm always open to leads on compatible doors.

3. As I am gutting what was water damaged, I figure there are at least some cabinetry/components that are in good enough shape for someone looking for vintage restoration parts- most of my cabinet doors, for example, and the upper small cabinets. Is this thread better, or the general classifieds?

4. I always ask when I start new projects or talk to experts- what don't I know (that's setting me up for a lot, I'm sure.

Looking forward to the feedback.
Cheers,
Erich
1959 Triumph TR3a
1967 Airstream Overlander
elatchford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Your in the right place . I’m 10 months into a fix up of my own . May be Abel to hook you up with a few things . I’ve got the two vent out of mine and a few other parts . You can look thru my tread on my build ,
Going camping for two weeks starting on Wednesday. Have fun and good luck . We will be watching.

Blue
Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Welcome aboard ! I have a 68 Overlander International that is a survivor, but still needed a fair amount of tlc.....i.e. replace virtually everything....

Sorry about your door.....that is a tough one...there is another member here that had the exact same thing happen to them and they are now looking for a door......a salvage yard is the place for that.....if you see one don't hesitate.

You are in for a lot of work, cut fingers, scraping, painting, shopping, cutting, improvising, getting pissed off, and having fun...in the end you have something that everybody wants. Post some photos when you can .

Mike
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
oh...read joyflea 's renovation thread.....a wealth of information with good photos. He is a fabricator and machinist and his skills can be intimidating, but don't worry about that right now.....just learn from his experience, and glean what you need.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote