Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Abilene , Kansas
Finally Starting.

Hello.

I have been lurking on this site for a looooong time.

I bought this '66 Overlander International 5 years ago, and have had it sitting in the barn waiting for me to get it operational.

It is pretty beat up.

Missing front and back glass, and the small curved piece by the door.
Missing most of the access panels.
One dent/tear at the front left corner.
Tires are shot from sitting.
Systems are poor.
Water tank outlet broken.
No water pump.
No fridge
No stove
No furnace.
AC unit on roof unkown.
Blackwater tank unknown.
Power converter there but unkown
Hotwater heater unknown.
Floor has a hole by the door.
Tile has been removed.
Some water damage to divider to the left of the door.
Stone guard broken.

This weekend, after some discussions with a friend, I decided to do another inventory. I removed the guacho frame (where I found the hole in the floor) and did some vacuuming.

This is a HUGE project. I don't know that I am ready for it right now, but I am tired of looking at it just sit, when me and my girls (wife and 2 daughters) could be out enjoying it.

I am a very positive person usually, but this one is tough.

I keep having to look at restored/rejuvinated campers and constantly remind myself "wow! I have an Airstream!"

on to the pics.

floor hole:

vacuumed:

I am going to ask alot of (dumb) questions and need alot of help and support on this one. I hope you guys and gals are up for the task.
Nosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Nosurf, welcome to the forums. You will get lots of answers and opinions on these boards, but remember, the only dumb question is the question not asked.

From looking at your pictures and reading your list, she looks like a candidate for a full restoration. Before doing a custom interior, the frame, floor and shell should be repaired and redone as necessary to make sure you have a solid, water tight trailer. And of course while doing the frame and floor, you can upgrade your water and wastewater systems.

You have a lot of work ahead of you. Others have done it and many are willing to share their experience. Encouragement? Yes, you'll get lots of encouragement on these threads. Some from folks who purely love Airstream Trailers and some from the "misery loves company" set.

Keep us posted on your progress and by all means ask questions and post photos. Best of luck.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Welcome Nosurf as lew said your's is definitely a candidate for a "full Monte" or shell off restoration. It is not that hard to do just time consuming. Like lew said make sure you have a good solid frame and floor for the shell. That is the most important part in a proper restoration. There's no sense in doing cosmetic work to a unit unless the base is solid.
Here are a few links for parts and materials you will need.
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

RV Parts and Accessories for Sale

Aircraft supplies aluminum sheet 2024T3 4130 steel tubing Airparts inc - Aircraft construction supplies

RV Salvage Parts Airstream Trailer Interiors Restorations Collision Repairs

BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics

LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

https://sites.google.com/a/colinhyde...ions.com/home/

Buffing Polishing Supplies Buffing Wheels Compound Polishing Aluminum Polishing Kit - Caswell Inc.

Harbor Freight Tools

Flair-It PEX Plumbing and Radiant Heating Systems

Insulation for Less : Prodex : Reflective Insulation : Pole Barn Insulation : Metal Building Insulation : Bubble Insulation

McMaster-Carr
That should keep you busy for a while reading and researching. Good luck and be sure to post pictures as you go.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You do have quite a job ahead of you, but, on the up side, it's a blank canvas ready for your own personalization.

You've found the right place for all the Airstream information that you are going to need.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Do I spy a '64 Impala Convertible in the picture, and will that be your tow vehicle? If so, Too cool!
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Abilene , Kansas
Yes. That is my '64 Impala. That isn't the tow vehicle though. For that we will use my wife's '99 suburban.

Thanks for all the links and suggestions. It may be that this trailer is ripe for the "full monte", but there is no way I am going to go that deep into it. Time and money will not allow it. If it proves to be unable to benefit from what repairs I can do and pay for, then I'll either part it out or sell it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Nosurf Fist thing that should be done to make your decision is to drop the belly and inspect the frame for rusting out. If it's good and I doubt it then you can go ahead with your plan to repair what "you can do and pay for". From you list I can see you spending close to $10K to get it in safe working order. Are you prepared for this journey and the time involved, if not then by all means sell it to someone who will restore it and use the money to put towards another a/s that is in better condition so you and your family can use it now. What ever you do PLEASE don't part it out. I always hate to see a unit that can be salvaged torn up like that. If the shell suffered major damage then parting out would be the way to go but yours looks like a fairly good shell.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Nosurf, I'm with Chris on hoping you don't decide to part out your A/S. Also, many of the interior parts which are easily sold when parting out a trailer are already gone.

If it were me (which means IMHO) I would sell it as is and move on to a more useable A/S. Some days I even think I should do that with ours which is in much better condition than yours.. Either way, best of luck.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Abilene , Kansas
I don't like to butt heads. I appreciate your opinions and myriad airstream experience. 10k? I just have to laugh.

I realize you guys don't know me from Adam, and are probably being conservative. My plan is to minimize any monetary input in this piece. Structural inspection and repairs will be complete before any roadtrips, believe me. Plan is for it to habitable for a local weekend retreat lakeside. This will not be a 5 star restoration.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
Nosurf were not butting heads at all. Just look at your list.
Windows 2x$300 1x$200 = $800
The access panels I assume you are talking about compartment doors. I can't even begin to estimate as they would have to be sourced from salvaged units and would be very hard to find.
The tear/dent in the panel again without knowing exactly how much damage and where it is I can't estimate. If it's a striaght sheet of the skin it will be cheaper than one of the curved sections.
4 tires @$125 ea = $500
2 Axles freight incl. $1000
Water tank $300
Fridge $1500
Stove $500
Furnace $800
A/C $750
Waste Tanks $600
Converter $150
Water Heater $600
Battery $150
Floor $300
Stone Guard $300
Misc Seals, gaskets and sealants $500
Misc bolts screws and rivets for floor and shell repair $300
Drapes $200 for homemade
Carpet and Flooring $300
Upholstery $300
All that totals out at $9850. Most of the prices I listed are approximate and I estimated very low on several of them. What about propane tanks, lines and a regulator. What about wiring and lighting and running/taillights etc. Do you need or want new foam for the Gaucho and beds. What about a toilet, bath & kitchen faucet and all the plumbing. You can see how easily it adds up so $10K is not hard to reach in a heartbeat. None of these estimates are for a 5 star restoration just to get a functional camper with basic finishes and amenities that is safe and usable. All that is without any costing for frame repairs or belly replacement or repair. A new frame will run you $2k materials and labor, half that if you can weld yourself and a belly can be another $500 for material at the least.
So don't feel like you have offended anyone , we just want you to know what you are facing cost wise. Try costing out all these items yourself and see what your total comes to.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I agree with the smart guy.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
RANT about LIFE

Ditto on what Wasagachris said. His costs ARE conservative. Letting it sit in the barn has protected it from the weather, but not from the mice, dry rot, rust, and general decay. You can't have a safe RV without a full monte. Health concerns would be Hanta Virus, black mold and mouse poo that can make your family - especially the kids - SICK. You COULD make your Airstream into an "aluminum tent" with no innards and still go camping, but that still means windows, seals, frame, floor, leak testing, axles loaded with brakes and tires, and enough electricity for the running lights. With "aero beds" and a "porta potty" you could put off about half the cost of a basic reno for a couple of years. (Do not put off the axles or your shell could shake itself apart!)

HARSH REALITY: Airstreams are not investments - for that matter no RV is really an investment. (Timeshares are worse. If you must buy one of those, go to ebay and pay 5 cents on the dollar.) If you drive around in the suburbs and country - you'll see storage lots, back yards, driveways and barns full of unused RV's that have been sitting as long as yours has. MOST people use there RV six to twelve times a year... and lose interest in it within 1 to 3 years. You're visiting a site where passionate owners abound, but we're probably fewer than 3% of all Airstream owners. There are football fans - and then there are the Washington "Hoggettes" who pay for season tickets and put on dresses for the game, and forego a lot of other expensive hobbies to be men in dresses.

The simple truth is that television and the internet have made EVERYTHING possible in our imaginations. It's easy to become entranced serially with all sorts of hobbies. "Hoarders" and "American Pickers" truly show the black underbelly of such acquisitiveness. This forum is for true fanatics. We're noisy but a small subset.

Choose well. If taking your kids camping is the real goal, sell the Airstream and buy a nice gently used camper and GO - THIS SUMMER. You'll never get THIS SUMMER back. Your kids will get one day older and one day farther away from wanting to hang out with the old man every day. Seize the day!

-----------------
My sister and I travelled different paths. She had three kids - I have a nice Airstream and money. And her kids had straight teeth without braces! NOW I envy her the grandkids. The kids... eh... not so much. But our priorities have always differed. You're a dad and from the sound of it a good one. My sister's kids are all campers - they camped in tents and when I talk to them, what they remember are the memories. They admire my Airstream and wouldn't mind having one, but the family time, not the shiny THING is what they want.

I've toyed with the idea of doing a BEAUTIFUL resto on an old one - and as a 62 year old woman who has done a home resto... NOT going there again at my time in life! I do NOT have the focus, the energy or the time. I'd be paying $50K - $70K to have someone else good do what I want on a restoration. I also know that beautiful things give you a buzz... that mostly doesn't last. If I had a beauty like "Vintage Fusion" I'd still fulltime in the "everyday 25 FB" and have covered storage for the beautiful one. It would only go out on high holy days like Wally's birthday or Alumapalooza.

Of course thinking of my nieces kids inheriting it one day... They are good kids but OMG, see me rolling in my grave~

Best wishes for you. Paula

PS: They ARE still making Airstreams, so selling this one isn't giving up, it's just reprioritizing. I see you ten - fifteen years from now, with a bumper sticker on your Airstream that says "We're off spending our kids inheritance!"
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Abilene , Kansas
You have WAY higher expectations than mine, LMAO!

And, one thing you of course can't be taking into account, is that I am a "Do It Yourselfer"! Crazy huh?

So let's take a look at your list.

Windows; 2 flat tempered 39x20.5x.125= $85 at a local glass shop. 1 curved 17x20.5x.125, will use plexi for now @ $20.

Access panels; Use scrap aluminum road construction signs and scrap al tubing or angle. free to very low cost at scrap metal place 2 blocks away.

Tear; ( 3"x5" approx) scrap aluminum patch riveted on, one of my friends works at Boeing in fuselage assembly.

Tires; yep about $500, but good used are available if you know where to look. say $400.

Axles; not needed yet.

Water tank; repairable, $10.

Fridge; no need for the gas/elec, dorm fridge will work for now= $50.

Stove; not needed yet.

Furnace; not needed yet.

A/C; local rv ac repair place is friend of a friend, say $500 or less. But not needed for awhile yet.

Waste tank; no idea yet, but I am adept at fiberglass repair. $50 for materials.

Converter; existing repaired, good friend owns electronics repair store, free.

Water Heater; tankless brand new is $189. But wont need right away.

Battery; $150 for a 12 volt battery? funny. Exide factory store (made in USA baby) $80.

Floor; I think a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plywood is $20.

Stone guard; scrap alumnium again, free.

Misc Seals, gaskets and sealants; $100

Misc bolts screws and rivets for floor and shell repair; $100

Drapes; $50 for homemade

Carpet and Flooring; use up extra flooring from kitchen project, maybe one new box from Lowedepot $50.

Upholstery; mexican blankets, 4 @ $10= $40

3 futon matresses; 2 twin, one queen, good friend owns Futon store; $300.

That's $1355.00

I have 2 propane tanks. So no cost there.

The bellypan on the AS is in great shape. Any frame repairs I can do with scrap steel (15 cents a lb for what I dont have on hand already) and weld up with my Miller MIG, or for heavy stuff I can use my Forney stick.

A little background on me; here is a pic of my 1930 ford coupe I built.

before:

and:

now:

little story here on my crappy website:

driven from Abilene KS to Austin TX in '07. to KC and back many times.

The entire build has been chronicled on the HAMB, the Jalopy Journal message board.

So, refute what you will. I am doggedly determined to accomplish this task in the manner I see best. I even ordered the flat glass this morning!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosurf View Post

So, refute what you will. I am doggedly determined to accomplish this task in the manner I see best. I even ordered the flat glass this morning!
Well you obviously have way more skills and helpful friends than the average Joe ! Forge on! And please document it here, there are many creative ways to save money as you've pointed out. No one is nay saying you, just posting the facts as they see it.

PS you really need to add a line item for Vulkem
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Abilene , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
I agree with the smart guy.
You must be referring to me. So I thank you!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
x

XXXX , XXXX
Nosurf first off let me say beautiful job on the car. That was indeed quite a difficult rescue you pulled off.
So what you are saying is that you intend to patch up this trailer using scrap and make a tin tent out of it. So be it. Please keep us informed as to the costs and how it goes. I,m glad you're not scrapping it anyway.
Spend the extra $100 for the new tires. A blow out will cause much more damage that the $100 you save.
I think you'll find out you do need axles when they start tearing apart the shell during travel, or at the least brakes and bearings.
$80 for a deep cycle marine battery, if so post the source as others will want one too.
Dorm fridge? how do you expect it to keep the food cold while travelling, a long extension cord?
There is lots more I can respond to but obviously you don't want to hear it.
Let me ask you why if you did such a good job on the car do you want to do such a cheap butchered up patch job on the trailer?
Like I said I don't want to argue or offend but just make you aware as to the real costs of doing right and safe. Plenty of others agree with me here. Just let us know when you intend to travel and what routes you take so we can avoid being behind this accident waiting to happen.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Abilene , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Just let us know when you intend to travel and what routes you take so we can avoid being behind this accident waiting to happen.
And there it is. Wow. You are so much wiser and all-knowing than those all around you. Please stay in your tiny little kingdom and don't bother me with your pretentiousness.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Abilene , Kansas
Quote:
$80 for a deep cycle marine battery, if so post the source as others will want one too.
Case in point: I just called and priced a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery at the Exide factory outlet here in Salina Kansas. $62.27 . The number is 785-825-6700 if you care to check on it yourself. That's the NC24 battery, with 24 month warranty.

I'd offer to get you one, but since we won't be traveling near each other, I guess you can pay the $150.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Abilene , Kansas
Quote:
Dorm fridge? how do you expect it to keep the food cold while travelling, a long extension cord?
That might be how you would propose to keep food cold. But I think there might be a cheaper way, like maybe a $2 bag of ice.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
x

XXXX , XXXX
Nosurf
1)there is no need to be vicous.
2) Excellent find on the battery. Thanks for posting the info that is good for all to know.There are deals out there and we all need to be aware of them.
3)$2.00 bag of ice I love it. I am laughing about it now. Thank you that is indeed a economical way to solve the issue.
I am sorry if some how I have angered you that was not my intention.
Good luck sir and I wish you well on your project and hope that you and your girls do enjoy the camping experience.

Tags
1966 overlander, 26'