Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Damage

Hi,
I also highly recommend Dan at http://www.capitalcitycustomsinc.com/

They have done a lot of customization work for us.
They do outstanding work. He has a waiting list, but they are great to work with.

Dan is a former metal fabricator on the NASCAR circuit. He has a great shop and can do metal fabrication, upholstery, cabinetry, electrical, plumbing, etc. If it is in a travel trailer he can work on it.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I’m thinking that the owner isn’t looking for a perfect trailer, he’s looking for one to use.

Most of the really bad damage is high on the trailer. I’m thinking rather than reskinning half of the trailer that he wants to straighten things out and put the trailer back camping.

I think the damage is bad, but that with some carful work it can be made “good enough” without a ton of work or money.

If that was both my trailer and intent I think I might start by separating the damaged rib from the skin and then straightening the skin and then straightening or partially replacing the rib.

It would have some waves and light creases, but I think it would still look pretty good polished up.

Another camouflage effort would be to paint the roof white. That would allow for the worst of the repaired creases to be smoothed with a thin layer of body filler.

Judging by the photographs alone I think I could make the trailer look pretty nice using these methods.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Thanks JMorgan......sanity.

I guess I just don't understand the desire to spend 30 k to fix this up. I just want to have some fun before I meet the old grim reaper.

I'm taking it down the road in a few weeks to Greensboro for Tim at Outdoor something something to look at it. He and I have spoken and he is going to be able to give me a better idea.

It rolls fine. Is licensed and insured. The window frame is a little dinged put straightened out. I really don't see where everyone thinks it's sooo bad but maybe I'm glass half full......or naive....because everything else has be redone including a surround sound, TV, AC, water heater, wiring, plumbing, frig, stove top, sink, bathroom. New cabinets and benches/bed.

I just want it dried in so I can replace the floor with cork flooring. I'm down to the subfloor w/ no rot. Rebuild or scavange a table and bench seat and I'm ready to roll....although I might paint the inside b/c it's a little depressing dingy off white.

Thanks JMorgan for the uplifting post.
Dkemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Damage

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	328291

My old trailer is a far shot from perfect, but she looks pretty good polished up and with some creative camouflage....

I can’t say she has even a single panel that wouldn’t need replacing to be perfect.....

Perfect might be over rated.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
do you have a shop you can leave it in for an extended amount of time? Barn? To me the biggest thing will be having a place big enough to make the repair, where you can leave it torn apart for a while.....its totally doable, but in my opinion, you are going to prolly want to do it yourself and you can do it. Its not rocket science....its a semi round oval can riveted together.......Biggest expense will be buying the panels....
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkemom View Post
Actually just looking for referral for repair.

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and did not buy a rusted bucket of poo.
This was on the road as recently as June. I said it drove down the road like butter so obviously it's not bottoming out and I had it up to 60 mph.
I have it down to subfloor and have found on one soft spot..2 in by 2in by the door.

I really didn't need the mansplaining about the cost of the redo as I have no intention of making it a SHOWBOAT......just want to get me down the road one more time before I die........so let's just say, I'll figure it out.
Maybe a resource for you would be the WBCCI locals. This may not be a chapter that's near you, not at all familiar with NC.
https://carolinasnc.wbcci.net/about-us/
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might want to read The Love Shack thread for a humorously written journey from optimism to reality on fixing an AS which needs work. [one of many such threads here ]

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ck-183431.html

The author has a keen sense of humor and has posted great photos.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Also, have you looked for a volunteer inspector nearby? Go to the Portal page [grey tab at top left]:

http://www.airforums.com/

On the right side of this page there is a system for locating inspectors by state.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote