Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Trying to decide on floor insulation or none at all

I am trying to decide if no floor insulation is a good thing or a bad thing. The good is there is nothing to hold moisture. This moisture causes a lot of frame and floor problems and the pink mess will not go back in. I don't want the shinney bubble wrap stuck to the bottom of the floor because it can hold in moisture as well. I don't live in a really cold climate (North AL). I don't plan on using it much in the winter and if I do I will be in FL where it is warm.

There is one spot where I probably need something (just behind the wheel well) because I will have to either drop the holding tanks or pull the belly band again to get access to the area. Most of the rear belly I can get to and add insulation later as well as the banana skins.

I was thinking of some 1 in thick pink foam board wraped with the shinney bubble wrap rad barrier. I will put an air gap between the board and the bottom of the floor. Rad barrier works better that way and water can get away from the floor. The problem is attaching it. I am going to do something similar to this in the rear walls. I don't want to consider spray foam either. That stuff traps moisture.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I would insulate. not only is it to keep out cold/ heat but is a sound dampener. I used Polyiso (R-Max from lowes)
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote