Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

1967 28' Ambassador
Santa Barbara , California
Rotten bath floor

After gutting our 67 Ambassador I found 2/3 of the floor was rotten from a bad tub drain seal. Question...Is it best to drop the tank ( the supports & sheet metal pan needs to be replaced or try and work under the mass of plumbing to replace the ply floor. Your suggestions would help. I do not want to think about.......Thanks Teddy. Santa Barbara.....
South Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, South Coast! You will find, as thousands of others have, that this is a fountain of excellent information.

In particular, rotten floors in vintage Airstreams is a very popular topic. I invite you to try out the search function to test that statement.

In the top dark blue horizontal bar, there is a selection for the various selections. I often use the "Google" version of our search, since it is so fast and gives excellent results. Put in "rotten floor" and you will see a LOT of interesting threads.

Here is what I mean.

Perhaps some members will point out their own threads where they experienced the work needed to repair this critical part of our trailers. Reading the fantastically detailed history of a repair is always a most interesting experience.

Good luck with your work, and we look forward to seeing photos of your trailer!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1969 27' Overlander
Wichita , Kansas
Flooring Questions

Aage: If you don't mind may I piggy back on your discussion? If so here is my questions. First when laying the floor after cleaning the sub floor do you take out the interior and install the floor and then reinstall the interior or lay the floor and cut around the interior? Second when laying the floor do you lay the floor side to side or front to back. Third when laying the floor do you install or lay a pad under the flooring? I have seen and heard so much that I a puzzled on what to do.. Also do you use any glue in the install? I have posted a few photos to show the flooring and would like your and others advice.. Once again thanks for your help on this issue.

Airdaddy
Wichita, Kansas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0976_1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	136262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977_1.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	136263  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	136264  
Airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hi Teddy , as Aage said there are alot of people who have been there and done that. I am one of them. Check out this guys thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...n-h-73643.html, he did probablly what I believe you need to do. Make sure to upload pics as it will help the good people of the forums help you.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdaddy View Post
Aage: If you don't mind may I piggy back on your discussion? If so here is my questions. First when laying the floor after cleaning the sub floor do you take out the interior and install the floor and then reinstall the interior or lay the floor and cut around the interior? Second when laying the floor do you lay the floor side to side or front to back. Third when laying the floor do you install or lay a pad under the flooring? I have seen and heard so much that I a puzzled on what to do.. Also do you use any glue in the install? I have posted a few photos to show the flooring and would like your and others advice.. Once again thanks for your help on this issue.

Airdaddy
Wichita, Kansas
Airdaddy,

Sorry it took a while for me to reply, I was away for a long weekend, wrestling with Henri, my own TT (travel trailer).
  • First when laying the floor after cleaning the sub floor do you take out the interior and install the floor and then reinstall the interior or lay the floor and cut around the interior?
You'll see if you read a couple of threads, that it can be done either way. People do it both ways with good results.
  • Second when laying the floor do you lay the floor side to side or front to back.
Same answer as your first question.
  • Third when laying the floor do you install or lay a pad under the flooring?
I think you need to have a smooth floor to get good results, but unless the material you use absolutely requires it, it's a toss-up for you to decide again. Keep in mind you want to keep additional weight to a minimum.
  • Also do you use any glue in the install?
I wouldn't unless again, it's absolutely required. Your trailer will go through temperature extremes through the seasons of the year, depending on where you live. A floating floor will let you get through those with less problems, IMHO.

The flooring you are putting in looks fabulous. Keep us informed as you go along!

Aage