Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #1

1971 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Texas
Question Replacing the floor in a rear bath

I am being given a 71 Airstream (if I want it) and went to look at it today. It is kinda dull from water and sun but I figure a good wash and proper wax will help that. The BIG problem I found was that the rear bath has had water damage on the floor and even the "sub-floor" It seems as the toilet was leaking around the base and perhaps even the tub. It seems that about half the rooms floor could be an issue. I am wondering if anyone has any clue where in the Houston area I could have this repaired and about how much it could cost. I really want this trailer but I need it to be usable and I am not that good at construction. Daylight can be seen through the back at the floor when the rear hatch is open. Thanking you all in advance for any and all advice.
elkie2331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Adel , Iowa
The plywood would cost you about $100/piece and it took me about a week working on it part time during the week and a weekend. If you are wanting to just take it somewhere and have the work done, it will cost you an arm and a leg and the labor is going to kill you. It is not hard work it is labor intensive and there are multiple threads on here that will show you what other people have done with rear floor dropage. And if you do not like the floor plan you can change it as that is what I did with my 1969 International. Either way you will have a new trailer. Everything is new in ours as nothing worked when I went to get it. I mean the front windows were not there anymore. Right now with everything with the change of the floor plan and I reapolstered the couch I believe we have about $8000 invested. With that I replaced everything: stove, refrigerator, water pump, water lines, sink, stool, shower, plumbing lines, water heater, new ac, axles, new vinyl and carpet and replacing the floor in the back. Right now I am working on the outside and I believe we have about $400 in polishing which was done by someone else which is for the first coat but the last 2 coats I am doing it myself. All together for the outside buffing I have spent $300. Either way you are going to do this it will be expensive. But if you do it yourself you will have the pride when someone walks up and compliments how nice your airstream looks.
airstrmkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
There are lots of threads on fixing the rear bath floor so I won't repeat it. I will tell you that it is a big job and takes lots of time, even with tools and skill. Also, when you get the old floor out you will have rusty frame issues to deal with (all that water that rotted the floor also keep the frame damp for a long time) as well. Take your time and do it right and you will be done with it. The first thing before you fix the floor is to fix all the water leaks, as had been said once or twice -"They all leak".

Good luck
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkie2331 View Post
I am being given a 71 Airstream (if I want it) and went to look at it today. It is kinda dull from water and sun but I figure a good wash and proper wax will help that. The BIG problem I found was that the rear bath has had water damage on the floor and even the "sub-floor" It seems as the toilet was leaking around the base and perhaps even the tub. It seems that about half the rooms floor could be an issue. I am wondering if anyone has any clue where in the Houston area I could have this repaired and about how much it could cost. I really want this trailer but I need it to be usable and I am not that good at construction. Daylight can be seen through the back at the floor when the rear hatch is open. Thanking you all in advance for any and all advice.
Tagging along here....We just discovered the exact same thing in ours. I'll be searching for marine plywood tomorrow. We were just planning to replace the fiberglass shell with aluminum/stainless panels, install a shower & vanity... but now this has to be dealt with. Whom ever had this before, didn't keep up with the caulking around the vents & fan, and there probably was a toilet leak too.
redreefet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #5

1971 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Texas
Thank you

Wow, you all are so helpful and that is incredible. With this kind of advice and support online I may just have to take on this "project". I spoke to a friend of mine today who says he could replace the flooring and redo the bath for me if I buy the supplies, but he can not even start until this fall or winter as we both work at a Drop Zone and jump season just started. I have disconnected the water line to the trailer so there should be no further damage. On a lighter note it seems that everything is level and we are hopeful that there is no Major frame issues but are prepared if there are. I will post pics of the damage and hopefully I can impose for some more advice.
elkie2331 is offline   Reply With Quote