Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2002, 10:35 PM   #1
overlander

pressure treated wood

i have looked at some of the sites were people have replaced there floor buy removing the shell.....it looks like they have stuck regular plywood back in......is there a reson for not using pressure treated plywood (Green stuff) even if you had leaks wouldn't that help stop rot completely?
Old 10-08-2002, 04:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Pressure treated wood is not for interior use.

Pressure treated rating, CCA, or Copper, Chromium, Arsenic kind of says it all.

They are tearing playgrounds made of this stuff down all over the country. The lumber industry is working on alternatives to this treatment to extend the life of ground contact lumber products.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/citizens/1file.htm
http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise...nsultation.htm

And a new one I found the other day talks about this treatment reacting to Aluminum....

"While many effects and ways of poisoning from cca treated wood have been documented, it is becoming increasingly clear that there appears to be another way to be poisoned that few seem to be looking into, off gassing vapours.

For example, the arsenic in cca wood is capable of mixing with, zinc or aluminum to form arsine gas. These metals are both found in the galvanized ductwork in homes. "

Just use a high quality indoor outdoor rated plywood. Marine plywood could be used, but it is not necessary.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 02:47 PM   #3
overlander

yeah if your not supost to breath the saw dust!

is marine grade water resistant? or just high quality......(have no idea)
Old 10-08-2002, 03:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
My inquiries to the Plywood Manufacturing Association have indicated to me that adhesives used in I/O and Marine are the very same. The difference is that the sandwiched layers in Marine have no voids.

These are the same people who still insist that CCA treated lumber is safe.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
Old 10-08-2002, 03:05 PM   #5
overlander

wood that doesn't rot there has to be somthing in it thats not good for you...............i was told not to breathe the particals and i will not...... it has chemicals in it that are proven toxic why would anyone say its safe?
Old 10-08-2002, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
R. J. Reynolds still says their products are safe.

-BobbyWright
Were is MY $28billion?

Old 10-08-2002, 03:41 PM   #7
overlander

hmmmmmm?
Old 10-09-2002, 10:21 AM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
think about it.....redwood and cedar don't rot, either. why? same reason: they're poisonous, too. Only "mother nature" put the poison in there.

Not to say that I would want a pressure-treated sub-floor; an outdoor deck and a subfloor surrounded by a small, enclosed space are 2 different things.

tearing down playgrounds made of PT wood is a hysterical over-reaction, imho.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote