Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Pergo in the Bath?

Getting ready to buy the pergo, not sure if I should plan on using it in the bath room floor will it hold up with a splash of water from time to time.

Or use a vinyl tile.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm not sure about the Pergo brand but we had a laminate flooring in our house and had a pipe burst in the bathroom. Water everywhere. We had to replace the entire flooring throughout the house because all of the laminate that got wet swelled at every seem and was ruined. I would think twice about laminate in a wet area.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
Getting ready to buy the pergo, not sure if I should plan on using it in the bath room floor will it hold up with a splash of water from time to time.

Or use a vinyl tile.
We have put Pergo in 4 units so far. Not in the Bath tho.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We used it in the bath and had no problems. We used Armstrong, also left a scrap peice outside for over 2 years now in all kinds of weather, it didn't swell or warp. Expensive but worth it.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I put the laminate in the bathroom as well. No problems. Originally it was carpeted - who has carpting in their bathroom at home? Yuk? Of course we use a bathmat so the floor won't be slippery when getting out of the shower.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
My parents put laminate flooring in our Airstream when they owned her, including the bathroom. So my guess is it's been in there about 6 years and it is holding up great. Really easy to clean too.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
A friend of mine is in the flooring business. I asked him about moisture and how it affects laminates. He said that it has been his experience that as long as you wipe up any spills and don't allow water to sit for extended periods, it holds up well. As a disclaimer - I was comparing laminate with solid wood, for use in my house. But the premise would still be true IMHO.

Flyfshr - I was curious how long the water was on the laminate after the leak?
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The water ran for about ten minutes before it was noticed but the flood was so bad, the water had seeped between the boards. It started to swell even before we got out the towels to wipe it up. Keep in mind, most of the floor was under an inch and a half of water. It wasn't a spill, it was a flood. We tiled the entire house afterweard including baseboards.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

When placing pergo in wet areas they make a glue that is recommended to go in the joints. This is supposed to prevent any moisture from getting underneath and should take care of a few splashes now and then. If you get a bad water leak you will have serious problems regardless of the type of flooring you put down.
The reason I put pergo throughout my unit is because a water leak behind the toilet soaked the carpet .
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
If you have not started the project, why chanch it. It's so easy to put tile in the bath room and it looks great giving a nice transition from the main cabin to the bath area. Thats how I handeled it and am very pleased with the results
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Besides the look of it, I want to use it because all the 1/4" foil bubble floor insulation is above the floor.

The foil acts the same way the pergo foam does.

If I put in tile I wouldn't be able to use the foil insulation.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Bob - we used pergo the entire length of the trailer. The bathroom is such a small area, I don't think it would make that much of a difference. Most of the flooring manufactureres do NOT recommend it in wet areas, but it hasn't been an issue for us in the AS.

I would not put it in a bathroom in my home again. I did that once, and the continual water splashes from 3 young kids, over time it started to swell at the joints even though we wiped it up right away.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
I did Pergo in bath, have a 9 year old and a 2 year so the "occasional spalsh" is more like "wow, did they bathe in the floor?" and so far so good!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

tile in bath

I went with Armstrong throughout except the bath. I used Eurostone stick-on tile from Lowes @$1.08 each x 6. I had a hot water heater tank leak that I didn't notice until I looked under the cabinet, it had seeped out into the tile area and around the toilet. I pulled up the tile and fan dried the floor base and behind the cabinets and replaced the tank. So. I would go with something that looks good, but is cheap and easy to replace just in case you have a leak that you don't know about.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Lipets,
Get a sample of the Pergo Laminate and take a good look at how it is manufactured. My guess is that after you see the cardboard core you will choose another material for that area.
Steve
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
sheet vinyl

hi- my advice would be to use sheet vinyl, as pergo is NOT recommended for consistently wet areas (the bathroom is the most likely area to spring some kind of leak), and using stick-down "tiles" also creates the problem of having lots of little joints for water to seep down into. Having said that, pergo will work just fine as long as you NEVER have any water standing on it long enough to soak down into the joints. I have pergo in most of my trailer, (not the bath), and realize that if there is ever a leak that creates standing water, it will be ruined, the same risk you run in your house. It's all a compromise of some sort, beauty versus utility- best of luck and have fun!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Not all laminates are the same. I had to rip up Pergo in the kitchen, after a leak in the refrigurator ice maker got water on the floor over night. The glue used also makes a difference in sealing the seams. I would not put down anything the supplier does not guarentee to be completely waterproof.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote