Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Just bites!

I'm sorry about your loss. I bought new, simply because I'd had it up to HERE restoring an old house (money pit!). I guess one of the perils of owning vintage is the problem with damage like this - Had it been my newer 2006 FB, I'm sure they would have paid whatever the factory spec'ed out the repairs to be.

I hope you'll find a way to make lemonade out of this bad oops! Perhaps when you open up the belly pan you'll find other damage that would have required a "full monte" anyway. I saw another forum member who had a whole new frame built for $1200 - but of course he had to do the labor of taking out the interior, removing the shell, installing the new plywood and floor and all the rest of the "some assembly required" stuff.

Maybe you can upgrade your black & gray tanks, rewire for internet, etc.

Sympathy Karma coming.

Paula
Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by koltys
Just to follow up, the insurance company today offered a $1500 settlement, and I keep the trailer, which I accepted. They had been talking about $500 to $1000, against which I made my case that the trailer was worth closer to $3000, hoping for the best.

So I will lick my wounds, continue preparing our home for our first baby, due in 10 weeks, and sometime next year will open up the belly, inspect the frame, and perhaps seek out a local metal shop to straighten and reinforce it.

The whole experience has been a bit demoralizing, and is a good example of the potential peril of an accident with a trailer that is in the middle of restoration, when it may be worth less than its purchase price, and/or the cost of the all the money and materials that have been invested in it.
What a crappy thing to happen. We were fortunate when we bought ours as the insurance agent recommended that we get a third party insurer to cover the trailer while I redid it. We gave them pictures of the trailer along with a bunch of similar ones we'd found on eBay in comparable shape. They agreed to cover it for the average of those. Once I completed it I again provided pictures, noted it could also be viewed on RJ Dials website, and they increased the coverage by over double so I am well covered off for replacement if that is ever required - hopefully not.

If the overall repair is more than you want to undertake you may be able to sell the trailer as is and take that money and what was offered by the insurer and acquire another one in similar condition to what you had or better, just as a thought.

What ever you do, I hope you don't give up on the Airstream dream. Once you do have one done and are out enjoying it with the family you will have a great story to tell around the campfire. If fellow 'streamers are about it would be considered a horror story for sure - let's see, it could start with it was a dark and stormy night.........okay, the night before anyway.....

Barry
Old 09-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Quote:
What ever you do, I hope you don't give up on the Airstream dream. Once you do have one done and are out enjoying it with the family you will have a great story to tell around the campfire. If fellow 'streamers are about it would be considered a horror story for sure - let's see, it could start with it was a dark and stormy night.........okay, the night before anyway.....
Sadly, this isn't the first Airstream misfortune that I have encountered. In 2004, my 1974 Overlander rolled after the tail wagged the dog:
Airstream Forums - View Single Post - Reese cam sways
Long story not worth rehashing, but suffice it to say I learned a lot. Pics are here:
Burning Man 2004

While I am getting weary of incidents with Airstreams, I have also had the pleasure of waking up in one on a rainy morning at a beautiful retreat center in rural Wisconsin. To the light din of raindrops on the roof, I told my companion, "let's make some tea," and we did, and watched it rain outside, snug and dry. I have also fetted friends with peanut butter and nutella sandwiches during a horrific dust storm at Burning Man, all sitting around my dinette, safe from the wind and grit, 12v fan doing what it could to help keep us cool. These were magic moments irreproducible with a tent, and I simply wouldn't consider owning any SOB trailer.

I am firmly addicted to the Airstream experience. With a kid on the way, I don't know how much of it I will be able to afford for the next few years, but thanks for the encouragement!
koltys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Wow

I have to admit, you are one cool dude. After a rollover and then this I would say there is nothing that could happen that you can't handle.
Good luck with parenthood and Airstreaming. I'm sure you'll be able to fix up the 64 to your liking.
Nice pictures of Burning man. Looks crazy.
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote