Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Frame work - What would you have done.

So, I've removed the shell and the bellypan. I'm about to remove the floor and any other items. What would you do, or would like to have done, to your frame?

This is a 59 flying cloud, 22'. I need a new coupler and am replacing the axle. I'm also fixing the step and adding support so I can add grey water tanks.

Any thoughts on things you would do while I'm at it?

Bubba mentioned adding some more floor support around the corner radius's.

Thanks,
Old 06-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Inspect the front of the frame and the rear cross member carefully.

I had the front of the frame rebuilt by welding sleeves over the frame. there was a serious rust situation due to a leak from the water tank.

1959 Tradewind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frameoff 023.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	313460  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well if you are going to add weight you need to beef up that frame. Taller C-channel or better yet box beams. How bad is it? You going to patch or replace?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Gilbert, another thing that may help in the future. The end of the outriggers have a tendency to poke through the banana wrap in time. You may want to consider spot welding a 4” piece of 14 or 16 gauge metal along the curve at the end of the outriggers. If galvanic corrosion is a concern, cover it with peel & stick. Good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Perry, so far it's not too bad but I still need to pressure wash wasp nests and years of rat stuff off. Once I get the floor off it's getting washed and I'll know more.

I'll definitely have to patch some spots and boxing some of it in sounds like a good idea. When I loosened the shell the back end dropped quite a bit. I absolutely want to strengthen the step supports.

Bubba, I'm hoping to do that to at least the ones towards the front and back. (where it's more likely to get hit.)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I got the floor off and the frame is okay. I wasn't able to pressure wash it yet but I cleaned what I could.

Here's a pic of the left rear area which was the shower and toilet. Nice job of cutting most of the only outrigger that was there. No wonder why every time you stepped there it felt soft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frame2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	313521  
Old 06-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I added diagonal braces on each side of the step to stiffen it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SovStepReinforcement.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	313526  

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
This probably doesn't need to be stated. But, after repairs and improvements, paint it all with POR 51.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
My personal thoughts after replacing partial rotted flooring..for the 2nd time & 2nd trailer....If I was doing a body off I would NOT use wood for the flooring. There are alternatives that will not ever rot. My Carolina Skiff fishing boat has no wood...built with Coosa Board.
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I'm probably putting coosa or something like it. I know it's ridiculously expensive but I don't want to be doing this job again any time soon. about 80% of the perimeter of the floor had delaminated plywood and it's probably been that way for a long long time.

Here is a pic of what most of the perimeter was like. This section was under the shower. As you would expect everything that was hidden was basically wood chips.

David, I like that diagonal brace. I'll probably do that.

I'm going to have to be patient on the sandblasting and painting. I want to make sure things are ready before I get ahead of myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	delam floor.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	313544  
Old 06-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobehome View Post
This probably doesn't need to be stated. But, after repairs and improvements, paint it all with POR 51.
Is that 3.4 times better than POR 15?

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Went with Coosa, too. Although I fought hubby about the cost, at first, a little leak here or there is no big deal. Never to worry again.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Good luck with your restoration, looking forward to your updates. We just got the shell back on ours, so far it's been about 2yrs to this point

My frame was in remarkably good shape and I could of reused the original floor but I opted to update it because it had a couple areas that was peeling slightly and it is 56yrs old. I had it sandblasted and opted for 3/4" plywood and painted the edge and about 8" in with porch paint.
I do wish the frame was a inch or two thicker, 4in is pretty slim and limits your options for adding tanks, thanks to VTS for having tanks that will work in our frames. I added two 16gal tanks after modifying the crossmembers by removing one and repositioning another.

Just some food for thought when it's time for axle. My leaf springs originally were underslung below the axle. I wanted to raise it a little so I put the leafs on top of the new axle. I think it raised the floor about 6 or more inches and 22 1/2" of clearance below the belly pan, when we put the shell on last week I said oh man, she is tall. I may have to change it later and put the leafs back under the axle, we'll see. Here's a couple pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180531_172421.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	313716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180531_172559.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	313717  

Name:	IMG_20170411_165607.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	313718   Click image for larger version

Name:	After2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	313719  

Old 06-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I would recommend Coosa Board. I recently bought a sheet and made a 2" toilet riser so I could plumb an urine drain into the black tank. I bought a partial sheet from a marine outfitter because I did not need a very big piece. If you by direct from Coosa I believe that would be the cheapest especially in large quanities.. It is absolutly water proof being made with plastic and fiberglass and it is much lighter than plywood. I would be careful what flooring you put on top of it. Laminte will buckle if it gets wet on the bottom side. That is hard and expensive to repair. My door leak caused a 6 hour job by an experienced installer. Do not put down anything that is subject to water damage.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Trons, that frame looks really nice. I'm surprised how well my frame held up considering the floor was a mess. There's some work to do though and I have to move things to get the tanks in. VTS is out of them for now so I have time to do some other projects around the house. With that height you never have to worry about inclines or rocks. Post any pics you have of the tank setup and drainage.

Guskmg, There's a distributor for Coosa in Los Angeles that isn't too far of a drive and they stock the 26 in 3/4". Not cheap but now that the floor is off and in sections it's falling apart just moving it. I hear people talking about routing it down to size but I can't figure out why. The way my U channel goes on top of the floor I don't see why thickness matters. When my trailer was built they laid the flooring on the plywood and then put the shell on top of that. I'll do the same thing. We will probably go with some linoleum type of floor.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Drain System

Here is my drain system. I kind of modeled it after one that Colin Hyde did. Instead of P-Traps, I'm putting in a couple Hepvo valves. One in the back and one in the kitchen sink drain area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drain System.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	503.5 KB
ID:	314006  
Old 06-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Okay, now you're just showing off. That looks really nice. I like the Hepvo valve idea. My old P traps were shot and I don't know if they make them like that any more. What is on the end of the outriggers?

When I first saw the picture I was a little confused. I couldn't tell which was the front. It was almost like those cars with two front ends. Is the back for a spare tire carrier or ??

Did you reinforce the frame much? Looks like there are more pieces than I have.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bkidfree View Post
Okay, now you're just showing off. That looks really nice. I like the Hepvo valve idea. My old P traps were shot and I don't know if they make them like that any more. What is on the end of the outriggers?

When I first saw the picture I was a little confused. I couldn't tell which was the front. It was almost like those cars with two front ends. Is the back for a spare tire carrier or ??

Did you reinforce the frame much? Looks like there are more pieces than I have.
Thanks. It took me quite a while to get the drain / tank stuff figured out, I couldn't find a whole lot in putting in a new gray tank system where none existed before. Figuring out where to put the holes in the tanks for venting and drain....etc

The outriggers have a rubber tape which is flashing that home builders put around door and window openings before putting the window in.

This trailer came with the spare tire carrier (and cover) and it's built like a tank.

I didn't add anymore to the frame as I'm not planning on adding much more than what was in originally, maybe a couple hundred pounds. These thing were way overbuilt / engineered. Not like today where they build things to be disposable.
One thing I would recommend as your working on the frame is to weld some plates in the front and back openings of the frame channel, right below the front and back floor. It will help to keep the critters out.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150717_205918.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	314402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170512_102000.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	314403  

Old 06-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
I assume you are putting in tanks for gray and black? We didn't put a gray tank in the Globe Trotter we restored and now we wish we had. Still can, but just more work and money.
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I'm planning on adding 2 grey water tanks but at the moment they are giving me a headache. I have a side bath and kitchen sink and the drains were outside the frame rails.

I don't want to cut holes in the main rails and have to strengthen them. I'm thinking of having a new shower pan made that will put the drain on the far inside edge so the drain is inside the frame rail. I can probably plumb the sink so it's also on the inside of the frame rail.

I'm probably going to eliminate the bath sink and use the kitchen sink. That should help give the bath some more room.

Right now I'm trying to draw out how everything is going to plumb, vent and drain. It'd be nice to have it all worked out so I can have the welder make any adjustments necessary.