Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Frame issues 1971 31 footer

I have a 1971 31 foot soverign. On the left side half way upthe side but still on the pan or under the low trim in front of the axles, I have part of a cross member that is pushing out the side. I do have minimal sag in the rear and little up front it seems. No frame seperation when I push down on the rear bumper, between frame and body. I am thinking that with front sag the body is maybe twisting to one side or I dont know. It looks starissght and I put a level on the frame I leveled the trailer out and took readings and it all seems Ok though with no frame sag. I almost wonder if the guy B4 me didnt fix any problem with this, and maybe it is nothing. I have no ears in the rear though. I do have the problem of the crossmember sticking out the side and it is just enough to crack the belly as it wrapps up the side. Or maybe that is the lower peice that wrps down. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a fix??
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I have a 1971 31 foot soverign. On the left side half way upthe side but still on the pan or under the low trim in front of the axles, I have part of a cross member that is pushing out the side. I do have minimal sag in the rear and little up front it seems. No frame seperation when I push down on the rear bumper, between frame and body. I am thinking that with front sag the body is maybe twisting to one side or I dont know. It looks starissght and I put a level on the frame I leveled the trailer out and took readings and it all seems Ok though with no frame sag. I almost wonder if the guy B4 me didnt fix any problem with this, and maybe it is nothing. I have no ears in the rear though. I do have the problem of the crossmember sticking out the side and it is just enough to crack the belly as it wrapps up the side. Or maybe that is the lower peice that wrps down. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a fix??

Your problem is not related to the frame.

Lack of proper running gear balance, will in time, push several outriggers through the underbelly wrap.

That has been going on for over 50 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I wanted to take a moment and say thank you to inland rv. These guys are knowlegable. It is hard to find people that really know and are not trying to trick you. These guys are great. Mike
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote