Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Imperial , Missouri
Bathroom Floor replacement

I have a 71 Excella 500 that i just bought. It has the rear bath. The floor at the very back of the bathroom is a bit week. How hard is it to fix that? Keep in mind i plan to pull most of the bath apart anyway to freshen it up. Not to particularly fond of the dirty off white look it has.
Jas155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Floor repair depends on how bad the damage is. Lots of threads on this subject on Airforums.

Don't tear out the bathroom yet. Clean it up and live with it for a while. How about some photos?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Imperial , Missouri
Yeah I need to get back down to my in laws and take a bunch. I will post a ton once I get back down there.
Jas155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There's lots of information here on the forum about Airstreams with the rear bath and the sagging in the frames and such. If the floor has signs of damage don't neglect looking to the cause and stabilizing it as you delve into repairs.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Do a search for (dreaded) "rear end separation." Rotting rear-end floors and rear end separation go hand-in-hand, especially on 70's era trailers.

So best case scenario, all you have wrong is some rotted plywood, and you can scab in a patch.

Worst case scenario, your rear-most sheet of plywood will be so rotted that you will conclude that you might as well replace the whole sheet. This can be done without lifting the shell, but it will be a PITA. When you remove this sheet, you will find that your rear hold-down plate has rusted into near non-existence, your rear most frame cross-member will be all but missing, and the last 2-3 ft of frame will be cancerous with rust. The relative motion of the shell and frame will have caused the rivets in the bottom of the rear panel to begin tearing out as well.

My '73 had some floor rot in the rear that I didn't even notice when I bought it, and I ended up doing a shell-off.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Very accurate description of what happens Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1391138196.718864.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	820.8 KB
ID:	204666 this is my old C channel, the hold down or what is left of it and the contraption that the PO installed to cobble it back together.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I replaced the bath and rear floor in my 73 overlander. If you click on the blog link below you can see what I went through. Good Luck.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote