Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Centerville , Massachusetts
Globetrotter vs Flying Cloud

Brand new to the forum - we are getting ready to buy our first Airstream (also our first travel trailer) and we think we’ve narrowed it down to a 23FB. One question - what, other than powered stabilizers, is different between a Globetrotter and a Flying Cloud? Why such a difference in price?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
gafulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Carrollton , Texas
Appointments, extras and luxury. I believe the GT gets a different refrigerator type as well.
grumblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
Furthur

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Golden , Colorado
There are a number of enhancements in the Globetrotter that may or may not be worth the increased price for you. Corian countertops, better cabinets and lighting, powered stabilizer jacks and awning, other awning package included in the price instead of optional, and a lot of interior stylistic enhancements. One thing to consider in the 23 would be the twin bed option, which for the 23 is only available in the Globetrotter. It makes the trailer feel much larger, with some of the problems and complaints people tend to have with the cramped bed in the 23 resolved. Look carefully at some of the detailed online tours from Colonial Airstream of Globetrotter and FC models and you will see some of the differences. The tours don't have to be the exact same year model, as the basic layout and features don't change a great deal from one year to the next. If we had ordered a 23, it would have been a Globetrotter with twin beds. We ended up ordering a Flying Cloud 25 FB instead, but definitely considered the Globetrotter.
WP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Everybody has different needs and wants when it comes to travel trailers. I'd recommend putting aside a day and going to a dealer, and sitting in one of each. See which one speaks the loudest to you.

It's been my experience that the flying cloud interior build quality, fit and finish, almost always appears to me to be better than anything else Airstream makes.

The globetrotter interiors sure do look good though!

AND, when you go to sell down the road, you know, when you convince yourself you need a 25, 27, or 30 footer, resale on the globetrotter might be better/easier than the flying cloud

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Flying Cloud Is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
...It's been my experience that the flying cloud interior build quality, fit and finish, almost always appears to me to be better than anything else Airstream makes. ...
I couldn't justify the 40K difference in price between the FC23FBQ and the 23GT Twin. Too many issues with the electric awning. I looked at the GT 23 Twin and loved the beds not the price.

When they make a FC23FBT I'll update.

My FC23FB has excellent build quality and no call backs to the dealer.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fresno , California
Welcome to the Forums and to Airstream! We bought our first AS in 2005, a gently used 19' Bambi which we enjoyed for 7 years before buying a new 2012 25' Flying Cloud RB (we had just gone to the dealership for a sewer hose or something - looked inside the FC and fell in LOVE). We are, after 8 years, still in love with the FC. Prior to the Bambi, we had owned a 34' Pace Arrow motorhome....every time we used it we headed for the dealership when we returned as something always stopped working (hydraulic stabilizers, motor on the step, etc.). We love the simplicity of Airstream, no mother board for the steps, no motor on the awning, stabilizers put up and down with a drill not a motor. This is just our experience, but it has been a great one, hope yours will be too!
kathfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
For me the less automation the better. Flat out just less things to go wrong! Love my Flying Cloud with manual awnings! Used the money I didn’t spend on upgrading on mods(16 inch wheels and tires, 6V AGM batteries, etc.)
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
FC vs GT

Go spend some time (several hours) in the FC or GT 23' AS. Then go spend some time (several more hours) in a FC 25 (Front or Rear Bed, Queen or Twins) and be honest with yourself.

The FC 25' is the way to go. 3' longer and the big deal is the extra 6" wider.

We started with a 2017 Int. Serenity 23D. Had it 2 years. Sold it (did very well) and bought a 2019 FC 25 RBT. Should have bought it in the first place.

Not a fan of the power awning on the GT. Many folks have had headaches with the power awnings. Takes less than 1 minute to deploy or retract the manual awning.

Yes, the GT is very pretty inside. The FC is also very nice but not quite as fancy. You will appreciate the very pretty FC when your awning works every time!!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #9

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Burnsville , Minnesota
We have the new 2021 30' FC and one of the reasons we chose it was for the way the cabinetry functions. Especially, the over head cabinets where the FC is much easier to see into than the GT. The GT has flip up doors as well, but the opening is limited for getting things in and out. BTW, the International uses the same overhead cabinets but with sliding doors instead of the flip ups.

Also, with the new redesign of the overhead cabinets they choose a high end soft close system versus the less sophisticated hinges in previous models.

I know you're looking at the 23FB, but on the 30' GT the dinette table is a strange configuration.

Now if we're talking interior aesthetics, the GT wins as they are beautiful.

2021 Flying Cloud 30' RBT
2018 Tahoe Premier w/ Max Trailering Package
RStruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
FC interiors have been updated. Pick the one you like.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
We love our 23 GT Twin.
A word of warning - before ordering, make sure you can access and reach both the water heater bypass and the water pump for winterizing and service.
Narrow closet and small access panels are the norm in the 23.
Other than that... heaven!

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Jefferson City , Missouri
Familiar Question

We just sold our FC 25FBT and ordered the 23 FBT Globetrotter. Our reasons included:1 - the length of the 25 is 25'11" versus 23'9" but we liked the bathroom in the GT as a rear single unit versus split unit in the FC. 2 - the hitch weight on the 25 was 837 lbs. plus, while the 23 is only 467 which allows more capacity in the TV plus less strain. 3 - There is 6" difference in width which is hard to detect other than the side table between the beds - the GT is a bit narrower. 3- the appliances are upgraded on the GT - 4 - really appreciate the curved overhead doors on the GT versus the head knockers on the FC. 5 - the power awning wasn't a motivator but it is more stout and the issues seem to have been worked out. 6 - the interior finishes are much nicer (our opinion) and more durable. 7 - the access for winterization is actually better on the 23GT as you have everything available from the floor of the wardrobe vs on you belly through the panel below the wardrobe on the FC.
Hope that is helpful.
Jsailmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:56 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
We were back and forth between a GT and FC for our purchase, my wife felt the FC interior was more warm and inviting and the GT a bit more sterile, it's really a personal decision. We sat in both versions for a few hours before picking the FC. The hatch helped drive our decision but in the end we are happy with our choice. Spend some time sitting in all the spaces and let your inner voice guide you, both are great choices so you can't go wrong.
solomon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #14
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
The FB dinette and I have a love-hate relationship... 2013 FB now a twin... mine had opposing seating that looks like it sits 4 but is really 2-place. The new one is U-shaped and would be a struggle to sit 3 adults. One will sit with back to the television, if that's an issue. Foam is too soft. Table is too big. Easy to buy better foam and make a smaller table. I took that in consideration and installed a 72" jackknife sofa with a long table on a Lagun swivel. Not for the faint of heart. Of course, neither was converting the front queen to twin. That was the best single thing I did.

Yes, go sit and lie down in one, pretend to do all the things you do in an Airstream, within reason. See that the walk-around front queen isn't... oh, and watch your head. Avoidable with the FBT, but for less money (?) avoidable in the 23CB or probably the 25 footer.

Doing it over, I would go with a 23CB (D is the older designation), and of course, used. The bed is small, but doable, and many couples have one sleep on on the bed and the other on the lounge seating which is also a convertible bed. Yes, the tongue weight is much higher than the lightest in class FB.

What you get in the CB is a spectacular lounge area in the front, taking advantage of the glorious windows and a skylight overhead. Whether the bed arrange would work for you is of course a personal decision, but I know what I would do.

I have about $54 - $56K in cash (afraid to add it up) and several hundreds of DIY hours in my 2013 FB International Sig. Nothing I can do for no amount money, will make it have the wonderful lounge up front. What I wouldn't change is going with a 23 foot.

You should check out the 23FB and 23D groups here on the forum. Some of the nicest and helpfulest people on Airforums excluding the writer.

Best wishes which ever way you go and happy Streaming!
FE