Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Feedback on 2010' 23FB Flying Cloud?

We have sold our Casita and are seriously looking at the 2010 23FB Flying Cloud. I'd appreciate any owner advice regarding any weaknesses in this model and what to look for as we negotiate the purchase. I do plan to install solar, as we prefer dry camping in National and State Parks. The 23' size was chosen to allow us to use such sites, which are often limited to 24'.

Regards,
Joe Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Check the tank capacities, propane size and batteries. All of these vary from AS to AS. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
We have sold our Casita and are seriously looking at the 2010 23FB Flying Cloud. I'd appreciate any owner advice regarding any weaknesses in this model and what to look for as we negotiate the purchase. I do plan to install solar, as we prefer dry camping in National and State Parks. The 23' size was chosen to allow us to use such sites, which are often limited to 24'.

Regards,
Joe Donnaway
Durango, CO
Joe, Dirty little not-so-secret about Airstreams is they include the TONGUE in the length. You can go to a 25 without breathing heavy when it comes to fitting in almost all National Parks. That said, the 23 is pretty well arranged... though I would strongly recommend you personally try the bathroom (sitting) for size. Most of us can't get the door closed when it would "most benefit others if we did close it!" That 5 alarm chili.. sigh.

Paula
Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums!

I agree with "foiled". All AS vary from the model stated length. We have the FC 27FB and love it.

The 25' FB is the same layout, and the same size as the 27FB, but for the state room. The bed lies across the trailer instead of lengthwise to save length.

If you like the the smaller trailer, by all means choose it. But, if your choice is based only on the advertised length, take a look at the larger units. You might like the room.

Best Regards

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hi Joe. One problem we would share with our Safari SE 20 and the 23FB Flying Cloud is that there is no place to sit except the dinette. I wish there was a decent lounge, or preferably recliners. It looks to me like this is a problem with all front bed models, although many are comfortable with that extension of the dinette seat they call a lounge.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We've camped at many state and national parks in the West, and believe me, there are times when it is a tight fit for our 22' Airstream. Most parks DO have sites for larger travel trailers, but those sites are often filled. We've had to squeak into sites between trees even at Yosemite. The problem is often backing the tow vehicle and AS into the site on narrow, tree-lined park loop roads. So... I take exception with the idea that 25' and even 27' foot trailers with fit just about anywhere. In the western mountains, that isn't always the case.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Joe, Dirty little not-so-secret about Airstreams is they include the TONGUE in the length. You can go to a 25 without breathing heavy when it comes to fitting in almost all National Parks. That said, the 23 is pretty well arranged... though I would strongly recommend you personally try the bathroom (sitting) for size. Most of us can't get the door closed when it would "most benefit others if we did close it!" That 5 alarm chili.. sigh.

Paula
Agreed!! Thats why we went with the 25' Int'L. We looked at the 23' and ALMOST pulled the trigger. Actually was about to sign on the dotted line and got up and looked at the 25'. SOOO glad we did. We got the FB also. Best decision. Everywhere we have stayed the view is in the rear, plus when you sleep at night you can keep an eye on your Tow vehicle, is you stay hitched.

We've been to several state parks from Florida to Arkansas to Texas and have never ran into a problem on length. Hope this helps.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
We, too, nearly bought the 23' that had the "lounge" at one end and no dinette as such, but rather a moveable/storable table. However, we thought the bathroom was a little too tight (where would you even be able to put a bath mat??), and we knew in the long run that the double corner "crawl-over-me" bed would get old. We decided, as Shane did, that the 25' FB would work better for us. Although we've only had ours since July, we've been on a 2-week trip out west in it and have also taken some weekend excursions and we LOVE it!!! So glad we opted for the 25'. It's perfect for us. (Our children are adults with their own families so they don't travel with us anymore!)

Ann Sue
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Missoula , Montana
We've had our FC 23FB for a few months now and nothing negative comes to mind. It's been absolute heaven!

We chose this model because of the size of the sleeping area (2 Cardigan Welsh Corgis plus 2 adults) and the fact that there is actually space between the bed and the front wall. We liked the fact that the bathroom (which is quite spacious, especially the shower) and the sleeping areas are at opposite ends. It's also as small as you can go and still have 2 axles.

No doubt, as mentioned above, there is not much lounging space, but it's sufficient for a couple.
cloudflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks for all of the input. After 10,000 miles and 45 nights in the Casita (sold in 3 days!) this year, primarily dry camping in Nat'l and State Parks, we have refined our ideas about what we want and the FC23FB seems to fit us well. My only hesitation is over the low ground clearance, but that of course provides the low center of gravity and stability. We'll place an order for a 2011 model (my quote for a ordered 2011 is actually better than the quotes that I've received on 2010's sitting on the lot, and I'll have the new LED lighting) and resume our land-based exploring next year.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You're going to love Airstreaming. Another slight advantage to the 23 is that it is 6" narrower than the wide bodies that start at the 25.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #12

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Paula
You have to sit "side saddle"
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
One more point of view from a 23FB SE owner. We bought our 2008 model year ago and also love boondocking in state parks.

The two of us travel alone most of the time and periodically we have 1-2 friends join us but not often.

As others have said, we have found the bathroom spacious enough - particularly the shower. I am 5' 9" tall and I have room to maneuver - also nice that it has a seat in the shower.

We love the "queen" bed and are very glad we have that instead of the double although there really is only room to maneuver on one side of it. The person closest to the window does have to crawl to the end to get out at night.

The 2 drawbacks we have found are the only seating being the small dinette. We do find ourselves sometimes wishing for the L lounge on the 25 footer. The other drawback is that your bed is toward the tow vehicle and in many back in spots it is away from the view or near the entry to the spot so less private.

We sometimes think if we were to do it again, we might go for the 25 FB to have more comfortable seating and also sleeping room for 2 guests as well as a bed on the opposite side to take advantage of views. I'd suggest looking at both the 23 and the 25 one more time to make sure you are comfortable with the space - however after your casita it probably will feel spacious!

We go to lots of state and national parks and in most of the spots, we could have had a 25 foot unit.

Don't get me wrong - we love our 23 and have really enjoyed it a lot.

Good luck and welcome!!

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks again for the input

All good points, and the differences among our short list of FC23FB, FC23, FC25 FC25FB, 23 Int and 25FB Int are important to sort through. Alas, there are always compromises. The FC23FB bath is a plus - very large, full width aft (no problem sitting), but that of course blocks the view aft of the site that you've backed into (except for when you're brushing your teeth). We like the fixed convertible dinette. The bedroom views do include the tow vehicle and access road, but also provide port and stb views. The difference in hitch weight between the FC23FB (467 lbs) and the FC25FB (837 lbs) is significant because we want to use our current tow vehicle (08 Jeep GC Overland, Mercedes 3.0L Diesel - 7200 tow, 720 lbs hitch capacity - excellent power, traction and fuel economy).
BTW - I think that most travel trailers cite Length Over All, which includes the tongue. This is the case with boats as well, which include bow pulpits in LOA.

Great response from this forum! Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
We tow a 24' Trade Wind with that same vehicle. Does a great job, but you are correct about the tongue weight. 500 lbs. is plenty for the Jeep. I would be a little reluctant to put 800 lbs on the hitch, although I don't have any personal experience with that much weight.

I can tell you it tows 5000 lbs. with no problems at all. Seldom downshifts even on extreme grades. We average 17 mpg towing.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote