Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2005, 04:10 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
SilverSurfer

Thats what I'm lookin for,I am leaning toward Good Sam,Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 05:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I sent a question to AAA regarding towing both my TV and TT if I had the RV+ coverage (I currently have AAA+). This is the reply I got:
On 10/9/2005 you posed a question to AAA Arizona which was noted as inquiry 10328. Response:
Your trailer should be covered, depending on the equipment available at the time would determine if both of the vehicles could be towed at the same time, normally only one would be covered.

What's the secret in getting AAA to respond at all? I registered online with the AAA Mid-Atlanctic branch, where I have been a member for over five years, and e-mailed them twice over the past six days with the same question about towing. I also sent them a message asking if they intended to respond. Their only acknowledgement(s) was the automatic message stating that they would answer my question as soon as possible. They've just sold me on Good Sam coverage. I like the fact that Good Sam covers the entire family and all vehicles at about half the price of a AAA single membership. Thanks for your input, it really helped with my decision.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:53 AM   #23

1998 31' Limited
2000 19' Bambi
Pinole , California
I recently had my tow vehicle break down while towing my 31' Limited. My Farmers Insurance Tow plan covered $125 of the tow. The service was great. They sent out the proper truck, hooked up to my Ford F-350, disconnected the drive shaft, and towed my truck with the trailer still connected, to my home that was 50-miles away. I had to pay an additional $115. Subsequently, I signed up with Good Sam towing.
Earl Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:53 PM   #24

1976 20' Argosy 20
Currently Looking...
Royalton , Illinois
We had just bought Good Sam Insurance for $79.00. On our first interstate trip towing a dingy, we broke down on Labor Day this year on interstate outside of Effingham. First tow said it was not our battery and he was not big enough to handle our rig (36' motorhome). Second tow came, disconnected drive shaft and towed us back to a garage. All this was done within an hour. Garage replaced alternater and we were off the next morning. All we had to do was sign for tow and pay for the alternator and labor. Good Sam rep said we would be covered on overnight stay if necessary, but this trip was our choice so we paid. Unit would have been ready same night, but it was a little overwhelming for us (first time) so we chose to stay over and regroup. We have received a request to renew our insurance again for next year (sort of early) but we definitely plan on doing so!! We can actually say it was an enjoyable trip, thanks to Good Sam.

Barb
daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #25

1976 20' Argosy 20
Currently Looking...
Royalton , Illinois
Just looked at my previous post. Since I am new to this, did I do something wrong? Why does it say "warning o%" and have those little boxes next to it?

Barb
daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #26
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Warn (0%)

Daisy,
It is part of the new software, it is not used at this time. I did a thread on it a short time ago.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=warning

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

I have coverage not yet mentioned. I have "RV Roadhelp" issued by Allstate. It's great. It covers all of my vehicles, especially the trailer. They will sent out two trucks to tow both the TV and trailer if needed. They offer trip interuption coverage, that covers meals, hotels, etc.. if your "unit" is unavailable for use. It also covers flats, dead batteries, etc... They also offer a trip planning service. Cost $89 a year.

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
At last, an answer from AAA...

After nearly two weeks and several unanswered messages that I posed on the AAA website, I tried a different tactic. I responded to whoever sent the generic automated message thanking me for registering at their site, by asking the question; " What's the purpose of having a question/answer feature on your website if you are going to ignore the questions?"

Apparently, the e-mail reached a real person who researched my original question and asked me to call her to discuss the issue. I responded that I would rather correspond by e-mail (so there would be a written record). What follows is the answer from AAA Mid-Atlantic:

"I would like to let you know that I contacted two of our supervisors in our membership department s well as the manager of our dispatch center to get the most acurate response to your question.

If you were driving your vehicle and pulling your trailer and your personal vehicle broke down and needed a tow, this would be covered by your AAA membership. We would have to send out two different trucks because none of the vehicles in our fleet have the capability of towing two vehicles at the same time, therefore, this would count as two service calls. If something would happen to the travel trailer itself, i. e. ... a flat tire, if you have a spare tire we could put that on for you or tow the trailer under the Plus RV membership.

I hope this answers your question and clears up the confusion. If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me anytime.

Sincerely, ... "

The fact that I didn't state the actual question in my e-mail to her indicated my questions were a matter of record, but were not being answered. It's hard to believe that this was the first time this has been asked.

After all that, I still intend to go with Good Sam ERS. I have a good mapping program with GPS on my laptop to substitute for those nice AAA maps.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

SilverRanger
The AAA answer is like one of those " If two tow trucks where traveling down the I-80 at sixty miles per hour in the oppistate direction, and your Tradewind was traveling at 0 miles per hour on the side of the road, caulate the time that it would take AAA to find a SilverRanger"?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:54 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I like Good Sam
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
If you're a President's Club member at Camping World their road service is great too. I've had the opportunity to use them twice now on two vehicles. One resulted in a short tow the other just some gas after I kinked the fuel line.
I've also got a number of friends who swear by Good Sam.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
If you have AAA there is places in the state of Washington that don't have AAA towing. You have to have 2 Insurer.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

AAA covers commercial vehicles but Good Sam ERS does not, even the platinum version. I own my own business so my personal car is registered in the business name, therefore it is not covered. Had to go back to AAA. Just thought I would mention it for those who may need the option...I like the idea of having two services, but AAA costs twice as much as Good Sam so it gets a little spendy if you want both.

Here's hoping none of us ever have to use it
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I have both and I use both. Thay have been good to me.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31
Does anyone belong to AAA or the GoodSam Club or any other club that covers towing service while on the road with a TT, and which one is the best ? I know there are a lot out there,I would like to hear it "from the horses mouth" ,Thanks
We have had our vehicles with the same insurance co. for 24 years. I recently posed 'the towing question' to my agent and he responded, "Don't go with us. Go with AAA." So we did and learned that we won't have to leave our AS by the road side. Oh, yeah, AAA said the TV goes ON the flatbed and the AS is towed by the flatbed.
Neil.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We used our CAA in April this year when our truck broke down, they sent two trucks one for our truck and one for the trailer, they were there in about 20 min. towed them 40 miles to where we wanted them taken, not the nearest place for repair, and said he could tow us 100 miles at no charge to us. Have had CAA for the truck for years. Have always had good luck with them.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Ers

I have had Good Sam ERS for over a year.

On the way to work last week my vehicle broke down. I called GS for assistance, I got a call back advising me that the contract carrier could not respond at that time of the night and I would have a 3 to 4 hour wait. It was 6:30 am, and I am 30 miles from the contracted carrier.

I was given the names of several other tow companies. No answer at the given numbers. A private individule helped me get the vehicle back to my residence.

The first time I tried to use the service they let me down. Good Sam ERS is of no use to me.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #38
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Ccc

I've used Continental Car Club $50. as a rider on top of my TRAILER ins.(Formost Ins Co)

Progressive, which insures my TV, would not give me emergency tow service on my (commercial TV) and would not insure it any way but commercial.

When my TV had trouble a few months back, they sent a wrecker out for my large tow vehicle and a flat bed for my 28 footer. Phone service was very good and all I did was sign. I am happy with CCC.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:32 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have the Texas plan with AAA. Several weeks ago we had a blowout on the LR tire of our tow vehicle. It took over 2 hours for AAA to get someone to us. We were on IH-10 in Kerrville, Texas. Once they got there the driver took me into town where I purchase a new tire and took me back to our vehicle and changed to tire.

Five days later I experienced a tire failure on the RR tire of the tow vehicle. This time we were in far West Texas near Kent, Texas. We called AAA and they had a difficult time trying to find someone to assist us. We also had a backup road service through Cingular. They located someone but their service only covered the first $25 and we would have to pay anything over that. I have since canceled that plan. After talking to several other RV'ers I have joined the Good Sam Club and have taken there road service plan. Although I have never used Good Sams I have heard many excellents comments about their service.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:33 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Johns Island , South Carolina
My experience over the years with AAA has varied from prompt and helpful to extreme frustration. On more than one occaision, I have been so PO'd that I swore I was going to write letters, cancel my membership, etc. In each case, after the emotion of the moment passed, I have reasoned that the discounts AAA affords pay for the membership and even the possibility of assistance in an emergency is worth something. That's a sad commentary - it's pretty bad but the net cost is little or nothing. YMMV.
kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote