Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2020, 08:28 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Texas Registration & Insurance Prices?

Hi,

I'm considering full timing, which I pretty much am already, and leaning towards Texas. I'm having difficulty determining what registration and insurance would cost me. I post at SKPs and they are too vague and few AS'ers.

I have a common rig and curious if anyone could chime in with costs for registration and insurance for a: (Bonus points for Florida or S. Dakota prices!)

2019 Tundra TRD OR 4X4
2019 Flying Cloud 25FBQ

I called my insurance broker and got a weird run around of them insurance cost has NOTHING to do with domicile state but where the AS spends the most time. SO they were unable to help me. I've heard rumors Texas insurance can be astronomical cancelling any advantage to cheaper registration etc...

Thanks!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Texas

I live in Texas and registration for my 25FC and Dodge Ram run about $75 each annually. Insurance $937 annual full coverage (replacement value 1st 4 years).
Old 08-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Insurance differs based on the county you reside. For example Dallas County is much higher than it’s surrounding less populated counties are.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post
Insurance differs based on the county you reside. For example Dallas County is much higher than it’s surrounding less populated counties are.
Most definitely. Counties with lower populations and counties further away from the Gulf have significantly lower insurance premiums.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If you are living stationary the risk assessment is different from living full time and/or occasional use. Coverage including your dog or cat bowls thru your personal items, etc.. then there is “declared value”... etc. etc. it is just the numbers they look at. Your own driving history, accidents (of course we are never at fault).. my BMW motorcycle was 1/4 what the Harley was. ... it is numbers.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
2019 23' International
Tomball , Texas
Insurance is dependent on what county you are in and your credit score.
You can get registration rates from the Texas DMV website.
B17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
I live in Texas and registration for my 25FC and Dodge Ram run about $75 each annually. Insurance $937 annual full coverage (replacement value 1st 4 years).
Thanks!

Is that insurance for both AS and TV?

Trav
Old 08-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
If you are living stationary the risk assessment is different from living full time and/or occasional use. Coverage including your dog or cat bowls thru your personal items, etc.. then there is “declared value”... etc. etc. it is just the numbers they look at. Your own driving history, accidents (of course we are never at fault).. my BMW motorcycle was 1/4 what the Harley was. ... it is numbers.
I was curious about this.

I "argue" with my insurance broker who asks me how long I intend on having it on the road...I respond "I don't know!; it's an RV!". As long as one has a residential address you could be full time and they'd never know...

Plus you could full time in one spot.....

I think this is why they said it's based on where you spend most time NOT residence or domicile...

Thanks,

Trav
Old 08-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
I pay about $1k a year for insurance for the 2005 Classic and a 2014 Sequoia with a residence in Hays County (between Austin and San Antonio). As others have pointed out, the county matters a significant amount for whatever reason. I'm thinking its more about traffic density than proximity to the coast. I looked a few years back and Galveston County was less than Harris County (where Houston is).
Registration is about $75-80 for each but Hays County doesn't require an emissions test (yet) for gasoline vehicles which saves $20 or so. Our 25' Classic is less than 7,000 lbs so it doesn't require a safety inspection.
wrhnco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Burleson , Texas
Insurance

Would any of you care to share what insurance company you are using? I also live in Texas and my coverage is with All State. I don't get a good felling from them. They tell you the rate but don't tell you the value you have purchased. They determine that at the time of claim. I don't mind paying the premium but would like to know what the insurance settlement would be should it blow away in a tornado.

Thanks,
ande
kipziprip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
[QUOTE=kipziprip;2401880]Would any of you care to share what insurance company you are using? I also live in Texas and my coverage is with All State. I don't get a good felling from them. They tell you the rate but don't tell you the value you have purchased. They determine that at the time of claim. I don't mind paying the premium but would like to know what the insurance settlement would be should it blow away in a tornado.

Thanks,
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
[QUOTE=Jacob D;2401883]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipziprip View Post
Would any of you care to share what insurance company you are using? I also live in Texas and my coverage is with All State. I don't get a good felling from them. They tell you the rate but don't tell you the value you have purchased. They determine that at thR the insurance settlement would be should it blow away in a tornado.

Thanks,
I have that same problem with State Farm here in South Carolina for my 2000 Class A Airstream MH bought this year. Rate quote but no value stated.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
[QUOTE=Jacob D;2401884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post

I have that same problem with State Farm here in South Carolina for my 2000 Class A Airstream MH bought this year. Rate quote but no value stated.
From my experience State Farm will use the 'Black' Book value closest to the date of the claim.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #14
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
registration TX vs CA

We are paying nearly $200 for CA registration for a 28’ 1985 Airstream trailer (NOT a motor home with an engine!!!!) and it sits 50 months out of the year on our private home lot.

I’d also check other states like Florida.
drjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrhnco68 View Post
Our 25' Classic is less than 7,000 lbs so it doesn't require a safety inspection.
Small correction. Texas registered trailers need an annual inspection if gross weight rating exceeds 7,500 lbs.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
troup , Texas
Thumbs up reply to registration cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Thanks!

Trav
each tag you recieve wether its vehicle or trailer or rv is about $75 each. I liv in etexas. every county is slightly diff. andy
72sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
rv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Thanks!

Trav
No , trailer only.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #18
dropped rivet in grass

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tarzan , Texas
I insure everything with Germania Insurance. They've treated me right for years. They might not be the cheapest, but I go for service, not cost. I have no complaints about the cost, which is reasonable for my location.
Tall Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
AS Insurance

I live in Texas--a suburb of Houston. Insurance is higher here, but if you live in a smaller town it is helpful. We just got our AS--a Flying Cloud 25 ft. I called countless insurance companies. I finally took out a new policy on our truck and car with Hartford and the added insurance was around $300 a year which I was thrilled with from the other quotes. Progressive, which we were using at the time we bought the AS. I had heard they were the lowest, but they were going to cost an additional $1,800 a year.
Pipsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Move your domicile to South Dakota. Recommended best in most reviews. Exception is for folks with ties to Florida or Texas. Another's insurance quote will have no relationship to yours. Pick a domicile/mailing address provider and get a local insurance quote. Full time rate may be different than weekend warrior rate. Reference web site for your registration costs.

https://dor.sd.gov/individuals/motor.../#registration

These folks may be helpful

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote