Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Knoxville , Tennessee
New RV insurance questions

Trying to decide on insurance for our new AS. I have several quotes from Poliseek and American Adventure insurance. Do I need to go through an agent or can I contact Blue Sky, Foremost, Progressive..etc... directly? Plan on fulltiming next year... any help appreciated! Thanks!
Jfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
I'm not a fulltimer, but I have been shopping as well, since I'm about to purchase a new (2013) 25FC. I've been with USAA for over 30 years and Bluesky beat them. I used the Bluesky webpage for a quote, it took them 24 hours to get back to me.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have Progressive, never filed a claim so don't have any info on that part of it.
I called and did the whole thing over the phone with them at a toll free number. I know you can do the same online and choose the coverage you want and it will give you a price right away. I have no idea what is the best insurance company to go with, and I know Progressive is not cheap, but they did cover the trailer the way I wanted it covered.
Make sure you post a follow up if you find a real good rate with a good company.
Oh, forgot to mention, I am not full timing.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
We recently went full time, had been with State Farm for decades, but they don't cover fulltimers. Best to be upfront with whomever covers you, as if you ever have a major claim, it will be investigated in depth and can be denied if anything is found out not to be true. We went with Geico, they cover fulltimers and have great rates, at least in our case.
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have decided on Blue Sky. We received a quote from American Adventure insurance for Blue Sky that was almost $200. less then Poliseek or the BlueSky website. Has anyone heard of or had any dealings with American Adventure RV? They offer everything we needed/asked for as far as coverage. Any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

1973 27' Overlander
Olive Branch , Mississippi
Insurance

When I contacted GEICO the young man attempted togive me a quote through Foremost and said they do not write coverage for the amount I needed which was $14,000.00 Can you tell me what company wrote yours?
honey bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Knoxville , Tennessee
We choose BlueSky insurance and went through American Adventure.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I live in a foreign country. Keeping a trailer insured and registered in the US has been a bit of a procedure. Not being a resident creates all kinds of issues. As for insurance, we have had great results dealing with an agent. He's really taken care of us, is responsive, and has gotten us a pretty good deal. I'm about to add a tow vehicle to the mix after I get a few ducks lined up.

Email him for a quote. What have you got to lose?
Contact Ron Jarvie, at Overland Insurance. They specialize in RVs etc. His email:
ron@rvins.com

and I have no piece of this whatsoever. Just like supporting good people when I find them. They're getting rare.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Progressive has a policy that for a new trailer for the first 5 years of ownership, your trailer will be replaced with like kind (even if the replacement is more than your original purchase price) if totaled. For years 6-10 they will refund your purchase price of your trailer if it is totaled. They also have a forgivable deductable. Each year without a claim forgives $100 of your deductible. Right now with no claims I'm at $0. The cost of my Classic is $65 monthly. This includes road service coverage that also covers the tow vehicle when it is towing. If your tow vehicle fails they will also tow the trailer to a safe site of your choosing.

I called Good Sam to get a quote the other day and they were asking $82 a month with $500 deductible. They also have a policy of lowering the deductible if you have no claims. No towing or road service. If you want that you have to enroll in Good Sam emergency service. First year cost for the road service is $99 annually and I think around the $120 when you renew. I'm not sure if they will tow your trailer if your tow vehicle fails.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
I'm not a fulltimer, but I have been shopping as well, since I'm about to purchase a new (2013) 25FC. I've been with USAA for over 30 years and Bluesky beat them. I used the Bluesky webpage for a quote, it took them 24 hours to get back to me.
I've been with USAA for 47 years. Didn't shop for alternatives, but have you factored your savings account benefit into the premium?

Our premium is a little over $400 per year, I believe. The savings account reduces that amount of course.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Progressive has a policy that for a new trailer for the first 5 years of ownership, your trailer will be replaced with like kind if totaled. For years 6-10 they will refund your purchase price of your trailer if it is totaled. They also have a forgivable deductable. Each year without a claim forgives $100 of your deductible. Right now with no claims I'm at $0. The cost of my Classic is $65 monthly. This includes road service coverage that also covers the tow vehicle when it is towing. If your tow vehicle fails they will also tow the trailer to a safe site of your choosing.

Jack
This is not uncommon, and we found similar options with several insurers.

Personally, I won't use Progressive but that's just because I don't like the owner.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #12
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Went with USAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
I've been with USAA for 47 years. Didn't shop for alternatives, but have you factored your savings account benefit into the premium?

Our premium is a little over $400 per year, I believe. The savings account reduces that amount of course.
I ended up insuring with USAA. I know what I'm getting with them, and the savings was not enough to risk switching.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote