Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
trailer value guides

Airstreams up to 20 years old (NADA guide)
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVHome.asp...wPr=0&wPg=2005
(includes motor homes)

Vintage Airstream trailers (25 or more years old):
http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

These are guides only and not intended as a definitive source for value on all used Airstream RV's.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Great link Rog! A ton of good info there. I love that site!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Thanks for the link...in my short search, I found a 1977 25' Landyacht (is that right?) at Bates RV here in Florida, and according to the guide, they do (I guess always) want too much! Very cute unit-ALMOST what I'm looking for- .
FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Minya,
FWIW the "guides" are a bit dated for the older trailers. I watch Ebay...but the prices on there are really skewed, I watch RVtrader.com and RVtraderonline.com as well as surfing Dealer websites. The shorter trailers command a more premium price than the longer ones and as more and more baby boomers become aware the price and availablity of Airstreams is changing. If you don't mind my asking...how much is Bates asking for the AS?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
...how much is Bates asking for the AS?

Aaron
They said $8900 was their cash/non-trade price. Maybe that is a good price?! I don't know. I had found a really nice one in Ohio for $7K-w/twins in the center, but it was already sold. So much for "just looking"- ! And it doesn't help much when my parents offers to go pick it up for me!!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveGreers
They said $8900 was their cash/non-trade price. Maybe that is a good price?! I don't know. I had found a really nice one in Ohio for $7K-w/twins in the center, but it was already sold. So much for "just looking"- ! And it doesn't help much when my parents offers to go pick it up for me!!
That sounds high to me, but without seeing the unit...It also will come down to what it is worth to the individual wanting the unit too. And I am a cheapskate Also typically a dealer is going to be higher than an individual on their pricing. I would expect a unit like that in average to excellent condition to be selling in the $7-8k range. From the pictures it looked nice but not pristine. But pristine is hard to find in a 25-30 year old Airstream.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:51 AM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Thanks for the link...in my short search, I found a 1977 25' Landyacht (is that right?) at Bates RV here in Florida, and according to the guide, they do (I guess always) want too much! Very cute unit-ALMOST what I'm looking for- .
Hi FiveGreers. A 1977 25' would be either a Tradewind or a Caravanner. All Airstream trailers were Land Yachts in the 70's. Dealers commonly have a higher asking price than private owners, just like in used cars. $8900 sounds very high unless the trailer is really "cherry", IMHO.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
345 Values

As with trailers, the asking price of MoHo's are all over the place.

See the following link:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/10258.HTM

I'm pretty sure that PPL has a policy of "everything works" before listing a unit on their lot (they mostly have post 1990 units). The above '86 345, with over 100,000 miles is now listed for less than $16,000 - down from $18,500.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
I think that their price is high, too-even though I'm new to looking for AS's. Dealers are higher in all things I guess. From other links that I have come across, I wondered about their "name" for the unit-as on the vintage link-it only shows the two Rog0525 mentioned. But like my DH says...I need to hold out for what I'm looking for---and at a price I can deal with!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Should you buy a used AS from a dealer?

To be fair to dealers, perhaps we should take into account the likely fact that they have performed a thorough professional inspection of any used unit they are selling and have made necessary repairs to ensure that the unit is in safe and roadworthy condition. They do, after all, have a reputation to protect if they expect to remain in business, so maybe it is fair to expect a higher asking price from reputable dealers rather than buying a "pig in a poke" from an individual. Many of us have experinced the perils of buying a nice looking unit from a private seller only to later discover significant flaws that were not evident in our unprofessional inspection (if we did one).
It is entirely common to buy a used Airstream from a private owner and discover that thousands of dollars in unexpected repairs are necessary.
Another advantage of buying from dealers is the "haggle factor", i.e. "toss in some new tires, aluminum propane tanks and a solarguard rockshield and we have a deal".
Come to think of it, the best used car I ever had came from a dealer. I took it to my mechanic for an independent opinion before closing the deal. There were no unpleasant surprises and it served me well for many years.
It's a thought provoking topic. Maybe it's a good idea to spend some extra money up front and buy a used Airstream from an established dealership rather than risk buying a lemon from someone we don't know?
I think it's an interesting study, especially for those who are new to the wonderful world of Airstreaming. Should they buy a used Airstream from someone with professional experience and have some assurance that they have made a good investment or run the risk of learning an expensive lesson the hard way?
I am of course speaking of people who are planning to buy an Airstream for personal enjoyment rather than people who buy and resell used Airstreams for profit. Where did you buy your Airstream? Would you buy another one from them?

Old 12-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Yes, one would hope that they "would" check everything and make sure all systems operate properly. And there are a lot of great dealers out there. This is a big one, so you'd hope they would make it right. I know I've contacted my dealer (for my pop up) several times with "how do I..." questions and they walked me through it each time. Having a great dealer is priceless. And the haggle part is good, too- .

This is a cute unit that I'll continue to watch...I put in another email to see what the gvwr is...as now I'm wondering what I can handle!!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Most dealers are going to expect a negoiated offer less than suggested retail. I was surprised that most new trailers have as much flexibility. 25% off purchase price was not unheard of.

So if you check out* the trailer (I am sure it's a Trade Wind) and it looks good (clean and polished on the outside) make an offer that is 25% less than asking, say $6600. They will likely counter with a higher price. However don't be afraid to walk away if they exceed your comfort level. If it's worth it they will call you later. And you may have more leverage if it's the right trailer for you and you make an offer this week. It's year end.

And then you can always find another. Find the year and model that you like and will fit your needs for usage and storage. Then do all of your research for that narrow window of units. It takes some of the emotion out of the process.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #13
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Also the guide in post #1 for vintage units is at least 5 years old. (It's what I used when I was in the market) So the values indicated in that website site could go up at least 5 to 10 percent.

The hobby has gotten much bigger and the vintage units are getting more and more in demand.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-27-2005, 12:47 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Getting a little more serious...

I called the dealer and talked a good 25 minutes with him yesterday (he was actually IN the unit). We have a 1500 5.3L V8 '02 Suburban and I was curious as to the weight. He told me the gvwr was 5800-so I feel somewhat comfortable with that. I also told him I could not commit (as he said I could put a "hold" on it) sight unseen! My parents are in Orlando and may head over this weekend for me to check it out and give me their thoughts on it (they have a 2000 Excella). The guy said it has been on the lot for 38 days-30 more than he expected it to. He also said he thinks it's in "above average" condition. Yeah, I know he's a salesman, but the more I read on this and other forums about people traveling ALL OVER to find their "perfect" unit, the more "perfect" this one seems to me. I have already thought about what my lowest price would be to him, and if it works, then it works...if not, then it must not be meant to be. It sure is a cute unit, and I get more and more excited as the weekend nears! As long as there is no horrible smell, I think the rest should be just fine- !

Like all of us newbies that learn from these boards, I truly appreciate all the information that you all share. It truly is a great help! I'll keep you all posted! Hum...wonder if I should put the pop up UP for sale?!?!?!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Sell the pop up in the spring when it will bring the most money.

Keep going and do as much research as you can.

Here is some more of what you are looking at.... http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ind/index.html
Length of trailer is from ball to bumper, and is not exactly 25'.
Things that may be important to you that were options:
Awning
A/C
Stabilizers
Water filter

Other Q's for the dealer....
When was the last time the bearings were repacked?
Same q for the tires although you may get I dunno for an answer.
Everything working? All propane items (furnace, refer, cook top, oven, water heater) Refer work on electric. Water pump, 12 V lights, 110 v outlets

We (this forum) will be the biggest cheerleaders for you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
I really like the twins-BUT I think I could live with two couches. The dealer said the awning was in "good" condition-note to self-make sure dad pulls it all the way out! He also said "everything" works-another note-make sure dad turns everything on!! I did ask him about the stabilizers-and they are crank down-yeah!

Thanks for the tips-and cheers!
Old 12-27-2005, 02:50 PM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
When you pull out the awning ALL the way, you may find the large roller on top is slightly bent. Mine is. If it's a Zip Dee awning (an Airstream original equippment) there is a procedure to straighten. I have not done it, only because it requires several people.

THERE ARE TWO FLOOR PLANS
If the floor plan is two twin beds, the beds are located on each side of the trailer just in front of the rear bath. If the floor plan is one double bed, the bed will be located in front of the rear bath perpendictular to the direction of the trailer.

You will have a couch (gaucho) in the front with either floor plan. This should convert to a bed also. There will be storage under each.

Even though I have the LandYacht options I do not know what those options are. May be it's the stabilizers and or awning??

If TV means anything to you on vacation, check the antenna if it's roof mounted, for getting caught and being damaged. We have one however we never watch TV when using the trailer. So I couldn't tell anyone if it works well or not.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Portland , OR
You might want to make sure the refrigerator works well on both gas and electric. It takes a little time, but they do wear out and are the most expensive appliance to replace.
mytehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
This model has the two couches-one in front and one in the midsection. It "looks" pretty good, but seeing is believing! My plan is to have the dealer hook everything up prior to my parents getting there so that they can SEE everything working-or NOT! The frig will be bigger than what I have now, but I still see me packing a cooler- . That is one of those items, that if it goes, I'll just deal without until I can get it repaired/replaced. But the more you all type, the more excited I get-lol! BUT, like Action said, I am willing to walk away if the price/unit isn't right! I still have my "Zippy"-pop up as the kids call it. So I can still camp- !
Old 01-15-2006, 10:05 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Bates RV in FLA

Quote:
I just bought a 2004 19' Bambi form Bates. I htought the price was terrific. Hope I'm right!
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote