Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Inconvenient gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Exactly....that's the discussion we have been having. A separate bedroom/sleeping area would be a nice thing to have. Not having to get up and make up the gaucho would be great! Of course, if company isn't coming over...who cares?
Hey guys,

I agree with both of you 100%. Please consider this (see video) as an option to make your gaucho easier to live with. I know this would eliminate most of the problem with ours. I haven't gotten around to doing this to ours yet but plan to. In addition, we plan to try some different foam as one side is very comfortable...but the other side has an uneven spot in it. I put our current upholstery/foam in there in 1999...so I plan to explore other options for it soon as well.

The above eliminates the legs, the cumbersome struggling with the wooden slides, and also holds the rear top plywood piece in place instead of trying to position it with while dealing with the cushions on top.

Another option is once you make the bed easier to pull out/put away, is to get a self inflating airbed to put on top of it.

Something else we do is that we have a very small shop vac under the right gaucho...and we vacuum down the bedding each morning into Spacesaver bags. We do the same thing after trips...wash everything, including towels we keep out there, vacuum them down with a fabric softener sheet in there...they are ready to go for the next trip. Sometimes taking an engineering type approach at addressing each problem that bothers you and resolving it might make you happier with this unit. As we all said earlier, even after addressing these issues, if you ultimately decide a newer unit is best for you, then that is the decision best for you!

I'm not on the forum often...if you make any of these changes, PM so I can see what you've done.

Happy Trails,

G

As I saw written one time:
"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream"...stay thirsty my friends.
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:32 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Some things were never considered a problem....ummm, "lost In the sixties" I guess.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:15 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
I sold a "63 Safari last year and bought newer, larger Excella. The buyer told me "You are going to regret selling this."

He was right.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote