Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #21
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk47
Can anyone tell anything with sag/axle + overall condition looking at the pics?
From the photos, the axles need to be replaced. OEM replacements are approximately $850 each + labor.

Good luck on your quest.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Rear end separation (very common in that era, ask me how I know) can be easy to determine by standing (jumping) on the back bumper. If the frame rails move independently from the shell, you've got it. (I was kinda busy over the weekend. If I'd have seen this thread, I would have given the advice when it could have helped you more.)

The problem with a unit that old, is that unless you know the complete maintenance history of it (no plumbing leaks in bath, rear seal at beltline renewed periodically to prevent leaks from the bumper area), you may find yourself into a project you'd rather not have.

Even if there isn't any separation yet, if the floor around the edges is rotten, you'll have it soon, especially if you start moving it a lot.

I've been burned once on a '72 Overlander that was in pretty good condition (all orig, all intact) except for the rotten rear floor and frame corrosion (neither of which is very evident unless you start removing aluminum or, in your case, Pergo.

Read this
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Thanks for your replies..... 'artlink' what do you see to suggest axel replacement?? They looked in good shape to me, but im no expert...

'pizza' - Yeh I read about that test for rear end seperation etc - I actually tried it on another AS i viewed today - 69 overlander - i noticed the body moving totally independent from the frame - Underneath the steel framing was all rotten - a real messy AS - and they wanted $4000!

I checked under cabinets and looked for signs of moisture damage on the '70 AS and couldn't see anything - sub - floor boarding looked in good shape.. I didn't see any drop in flooring etc. Everything appeared pretty solid - to me anyway...

Does anyone else see anything on the pics that looks suspect?? I really don't want to take on too much work as Ive a 1970 VW bus that im restoring!
jayk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
If axle bars point up from tube, they need replacing.

Jay-

Looking at the bottom photo, it appears the axle torsion tubes are below the center of wheel hubs. Put another way, the side bars from torsion tube to wheel hub point up towards wheel, not down.. When new, axles point down more than 15 degrees, and as rubber fails, side plates go to horizontal and then point "up"...

What this means is old tired axles lose ability to support load with cusioning, and trailer and contents bounce harder over bumps, and clearance in wheel wells gets very tight... Replacement axles (with brake prts) can run to more than $1500 each, depending on brand (there are several possibles)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #25
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Axels

This is a general rule of thumb. If the top of the wheel well is even with the top of the wheel (not the tire) the axel is shot. From your pictures you should plan on new axels in the near future.
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Hi... I did check the axels and noticed that they pointed downwards towards the wheel at both ends, both sides - that was something I was told to check for. Maybe its tough to see it on the pics as my camera has a big wide angle lense which might distort the pics somewhat - but the axles definately bent downwards..

But... as the last reply stated the wheels are definately high up in the wheel arch - axle replacement is something I definately don't want so everything im hearing ill take seriously... Ill probably just watch and see what the unit goes for, paying for repairs will not make this AS worth its money.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #27
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Axel replacement is to be expected on most all units over 15 years old, IMHO.

Michael
Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
listen...look....listen....read...think...I have 250+hrs in my 69 Overlander to get it camping, and still have the polishing to go. However, I'd do it again! The folks here are lifesavers and great coaches!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlink
Axel replacement is to be expected on most all units over 15 years old, IMHO.

Michael
Unless of course, a PO has already replaced them.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:54 AM   #30
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Unless of course, a PO has already replaced them.
True, but only if the PO replaced them less than 15 years ago
Old 12-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
"I'll probably just watch and see what the unit goes for, paying for repairs will not make this AS worth its money."

If you're looking for no work, I think you'd better increase your purchasing budget.

Almost nobody gets out for less than $10K, counting their time and effort along with $$ spent.

(But I'm only a 3 rivet member)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
ebay again

I was looking at a unit on Ebay and made arrangements to go and see it. The auction stated that he was also advertising locally and reserved the right to end the auction. He said that he would sell it if I came out and wanted it. So I set an appointment for the next day.

That night someone bid it up to the reserve, so the owner called me and cancelled. He told me that the bidder not only had never seen it, they never even contacted him to ask a single question.

YIKES!
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Yeh - I might just hold out and spend a bit more on a real good 'restored' unit. Seems like their pretty hard to come by in S. Texas. Anyway, thanks for everyones help!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #34
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Unhappy

Ya know, I recently bid on a motorcycle.

After much ringing of hands and hair pulling, I won the bid.

I was excited until 20 minutes latter when I received an E-mail stating that the seller removed the item and it was no longer for sale.

What's that about, what's the use of winning a bid if the seller pulls the item after you win the bid on it.

This seller had good feedback and a long history
Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Just a quick update - I didn't bid on the AS. It went for $6000. I felt it was too much considering the body wasn't in that great shape and there were noticable problems with the axles. Ill keep looking. Kind of would of liked something slightly smaller (25ft) anyway.

Gotta find something by January though -want to go touring - don't want a ugly fifth wheel or a box on wheels!! Casitas are pretty nice
Old 12-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Personally I think that you made the right choice. And you'll find one, don't worry. If I can find one in PA (where there are a lot less units) you'll find one too. Try posting what you want here on the forum, and on Craig's List in your area. I found several that way.

artlink - they are really not supposed to do that. It is perfectly acceptable if there are no bids, but not when the item has bids.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #37
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Just a quick update - I didn't bid on the AS. It went for $6000. I felt it was too much considering the body wasn't in that great shape and there were noticable problems with the axles. Ill keep looking. Kind of would of liked something slightly smaller (25ft) anyway.

Gotta find something by January though -want to go touring - don't want a ugly fifth wheel or a box on wheels!! Casitas are pretty nice
Put this behind you and keep looking. IMO, ebay is not the best place to buy a trailer because of the bidding and such. Keep an eye on craifslist, the forums classified and the VAC classifieds. You will find the right trailer, it is just a matter of time.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
I found mine by watching the classifieds here. I went to see "it" and ended up sitting an aluminum buffet set by RichardT. Ended up coming home with something different than I went to see. Happier...but different!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Texas IS Tough...

Quote:
Yeh - I might just hold out and spend a bit more on a real good 'restored' unit. Seems like their pretty hard to come by in S. Texas. Anyway, thanks for everyones help!
Tough to find pampered Airstreams, that is. Living in N. Texas, I feel your pain. Over the past 2 years I found only TWO worth buying. I recently purchased a 1975 Argosy that was structurally sound, but needed a little TLC (like they all do). Certainly worth the wait.

In the meantime, continue your education here at Airstream Forums University. Lots of highly qualified professors who can teach valuable life lessons in airstreaming. Can't beat the tuition, either!