Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
'07 International 23D Sig value and pointers

Greetings. I have Many questions!

This is my first post. I have been looking at Airstreams for six months and have focused in on a size rather than specific model; however, yesterday I was contacted by the dealer that a used 2007 international 23' 75th year anniversary edition came in listed for $50K. I was told not to be concerned with price and to make an offer. I went to NADA RV values and found that there was no 23' listed (International) and I also downloaded the 75th anniversary Airstream brochure (also NOT ONE listed). So, I used the 2008 NADA values currently showing a list price of $53K, and retail range of 26-31K for a 2008 International 23D Signature model.

The factory sent me the options list on the unit - base model with media upgrade, queen bed upgrade and built in thermal in bed. It has a fixed dinette - whatever that means. Is it a bed too? Is does not say so. Now my questions are:

What is the estimated value? I see no flaws. My thought is around $30K. I read that NADA cannot be used but the fact remains that if dealers are discounting 25-30 percent on new ones, the NADA is not that far off. Also I am considering an F150 or a VW touareg for pulling it. (7000 lbs)

Is the corner bath in the internationals really small? Thoughts.

Also I need to ask you familiar with floorplans some qualifying questions. My thought on a floorplan are this - it is just me most of the time. I would take my parents out for a week or two once in a while so I need bed accommodation (mom 5'2", father is 5'11") but other times for about two months a year I plan to travel around. I did not want to get a bigger heavier model and even considered the sport 22' I like the international and flying cloud equally well really but I am concerned about having only a dinette to sit at. In hotel rooms I am a desk user so I like the idea of a place to sit and use the computer. The couch looks good - especially with a table. Usually when I retire to be I go to sleep more than watch tv. I do that while at the desk or couch. So, I am leaning more toward the lounge area models. Your thoughts? I have no tow vehicle yet.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Lots of questions. I'm assuming you're looking at a 2007 International CCD 23D with the front dinette, side couch, and rear corner bed. I've been keeping an eye on the recent market for those.

You can't use NADA - it basically doesn't track with what Airstreams sell for. New trailers are commonly 15-20% off, not 25%-30% off. (If they were, I would have a new 23' Serenity in the driveway.) That said, you can buy a new one (that's light on options) for the asking price of this used one.

2007 was the first year for this model and it appears to have had a short run that year. Lowest asking price I've seen for one has been $33k with a typical price of $35k-$36k

Floorplan-wise, it is nice and open in the front - that's what attracts my wife and I to it. The front dinette turns into a bed, as does the lounge. Would I want to travel with 3 adults in it? There are enough beds, but it will be tight for that time. It would be rather nice as a solo trailer, but the bathroom is tight and there isn't much galley space.

Max weight on this trailer is 6000 lbs so the tow vehicles you mention would be fine. Note that you could tow a 25' trailer with a Touareg or F-150 easily. Yes, that is bigger and heavier, but the floorplan is quite a jump in livability.

Hope this helps.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
New Jersey dealer's ad

Thanks for the reply. You mentioned 15-20% more realistic. I tell you though that I was on with someone from the big dealer in New Jersey and they are doing 25% off new ones.

During the past six or so months I was reading where several people were claiming the 25-30% off MSRP pricing. I cannot verify this but this is what I have heard.

My issue is that I like the Airstreams but I am struggling on supportive expenses - tow vehicle, storage rental, etc. I live in an HOA. Sadly we have a large back yard on a corner lot that would be perfect for a stand-alone garage. My only solution would be to build a garage to the back yard area but the by-laws require it be attached to the house. Then again, it is more expense. I got a quote for $70 month in a guarded field - no covering and insurance for $484 year. So much to think about so little time and money!
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote