Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
White Pigeon , Michigan
Searching...

I am looking for a 70s or newer airstream. Preferably 30' or bigger. My goal is to live out of it for at least a year. I know I'm probably going to end up gutting whatever I buy, and I'm more than willing to put in the work, but I know there are also some issues I've seen talked about on here that seem like they're more trouble than they're worth and a good idea to stay away from. I'm located in southern michigan/northern indiana and willing to travel 4-5 hours if need be, but I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction. I'm willing to spend about $5000 on the initial purchase and then work on the things that need fixed from there. If anyone knows of one that could be what I'm looking for or just has some general advice and warnings for first time buyer it would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!
emilyweav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My advice is to really get yourself educated, and then manage your expectations. You can start on the Forums by reading some of the many "Full Monty" rennovations. Read a few of them, and you will probably notice that they have one thing in common: a relatively inexperienced buyer fell in love with a trailer, and thought with a little elbow grease they would be camping in a matter of months. Three years and $20k later, they have done a shell-off and rebuilt the trailer from the frame up.

Another good resource is The VAP podcast. You can buy a set of DVDs that have all the early episodes on them. It is a little rough and jokey, but there is plenty of solid information about what to expect when shopping for, recovering, and rebuilding a vintage trailer. Plus, you can listen to episodes as you commute and absorb a lot of information.

My general opinion is that practically any vintage trailer is going to need a shell off, if it hasn't already had one. Sure, there are some trailers that ahve been stored in a climate controlled barn in the desert southwest for its entire life that may be in better shape, but for every trailer that has spent the last 10 years of its life neglected and exposed to the elements, you can expect rotting floors, rodent infestation, rusting frames, and generally a huge project.

It is easy enought to find a large trailer for $5k, finding one that doesn't need serious floor and frame repairs is going to be tough. You might be better off setting your purchase price closer to $10-12k. In this price range, you finde trailers that people are routinely using and maintaining, and you pull home something that you could camp in immediately. $5k usually gets you a "field find." Three years and $20k more, and it will be ready to roll.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
It could well be that you can find a cheap 70s trailer that needs full restoration. You might indeed have to invest three years and $20+K into it.

The good news is that three years later you'll have an amazing trailer that will be measurably better in every parameter than most anything coming new out of JC -- AND -- for only $40- $140K LESS than new.

For instance, a repaired frame that has POR15 or other anti-corrosive protectant on it; replacing the rotted plywood flooring with a waterproof, lighter-weight, and stronger composite flooring that will last several lifetimes; better insulation that won't hold moisture, an interior that is better built and matches your style and is more ergonomic than some of the floor plans that currently have doors that won't stay shut or open in ways that block traffic or other doors; cool forged-aluminum external power outlets that Airstream no longer makes (they just slap on cheap plastic RV-industry standard outlets on them these days). I could go on, but you get the idea.

And yes, if you need to move in right away, double your acquisition budget and work on the rest as time and needs dictate. FWIW I brought a '69 18-footer 12 years ago for about 6K, and over the years, put in maybe another 10K or so, and it works great. It's not a show-piece, and I would love to do a ground-up restoration with composite flooring, better insulation, etc. -- but its perfectly "good enough" for the moment, so there I go.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
What you need to do first is the most important step......evaluating your capabilities.....if when you evaluate your skill set, to only find a desire to do this; that is not enough; no where near enough.

The skill sets reqired to complete a full restoration are as follows:

1) Project management: Where will you work on the trailer? If outside in the backyard; not good enough. Ability to complete a work completion schedule and budget that is realistic and attainable; keep in mind the old axiom that your budget should be at least twice what you think it is, and take three times as long to complete.

2) Ability to know and calculate weights and weight distribution. This really applies to trailers; get it right, and your trailer tows like a dream; get it wrong, and your trailer will tow you.

Below are other talents and capabilities that you don't need to know, but knowing them will save you a lot of money.

1) Electrical, both 12V and 110V. Why is 12V wire stranded copper and 110V solid copper? What is a GFCI? How to test for conductivity and find ground faults.

2)Plumbing, PEX A, Wirsbo, Uponor, ring clamps, crimp rings, ABS types and usage.

3) Cabinetmaking: how to build a cabinet that will hold drawers and items but have no bottom, back, or even a top (the counter top is the top of the cabinet). Faceframe construction, Lamello, Domino construction. Materials that are very strong but as light as you can find.

4) Upholstery, making your curtains, beds (especially if curved at one end).

5) Metalworking, welding, media blasting. painting; I could go on and on.

All this takes time, materials, a good space to work in, and most importantly determination and knowledge that after most days of long hours, you may have little to show for it.

For every gut and full restoration seen to completion, twenty+ trailers are gutted and then sold with the line "gutted, ready for your dream interior; all the hard work done".

Look at yourself first; a long hard look.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
See what I mean....."all the hard work done"

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...ationFlag=true

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS DON'T EVER CONSIDER BUYING ONE OF THESE ROLLING WRECKS! You need a complete interior that you can get an idea of how AS put it all together; to take pictures of everything as it comes apart, and keep all interior bits and pieces until you are completely finished your renovation. These people didn't do that.....

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote