Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
San Luis Obsipo , California
Looking at 1964 Safari - what do you think?

My girlfriend and I are looking to get out first airstream. We want a smaller one to tow behind our small truck, and came across this.

We want to do a custom interior, so the stripped nature doesn't bother us. We just don't have a lot of experience with Airstreams and wanted the advice of the forum. Is it a good price? Anything you see that is a major problem?

It is 3 hours from where we live, and we thought it would be good to get some advice before making the drive to inspect it in person.

Any advice/help is appreciated!
jtmurphy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Remember that my opinion is worth at least what you paid for it.

I think the seller is asking a premium price for the condition of this trailer.
  • The curbside skin looks decent except for the many-riveted patch where the furnace or water heater probably were (I'm not familiar enough with this model to be sure which.) No photos or mention of the street-side skin or the exterior endcaps. These may be OK, but it's something to verify.
  • There's no mention of a new axle, and this trailer is old enough to need a new one even if it had a new one installed in the 80s when its original one probably stiffened up.
  • The door has been modified. The window doesn't belong and it looks like the door-within-a-door part won't work.
  • Windows and frames currently removed so it's going to require work before it's watertight
  • No mention of presence/condition of any plumbing or tanks
  • No mention of condition of belly pan (original, repaired, replaced?)

Now, I note that the seller is looking for a mid-70s Dodge cargo van in trade. A rust-free one would be pretty rare but not at all valuable, and more in line with what I'd think is a good price for the trailer in this condition. I would point out that this is a popular year, and that short trailers are also sought-after, so I may be too stingy in my valuation.

EDIT: Finishing my thoughts... If the skin is good and the floor was done well and the belly pan is good and you know you really want this model, and ALL the parts the seller says are there are really there and usable, AND you're ready for a long project, I'd say $2500-$3k would be an OK price. That's a lot of ifs, but probably in the realm of what the seller would take.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
OK I already edited the previous post so you you're likely to miss something if you already read it.

Another important thing to find out from the seller is the condition of the frame before he put down the new subfloor and whether or not he treated it correctly with anything like POR15, etc. And what sort of insulation he used.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmurphy90 View Post
My girlfriend and I are looking to get out first airstream. We want a smaller one to tow behind our small truck, and came across this.

We want to do a custom interior, so the stripped nature doesn't bother us. We just don't have a lot of experience with Airstreams and wanted the advice of the forum. Is it a good price? Anything you see that is a major problem?

It is 3 hours from where we live, and we thought it would be good to get some advice before making the drive to inspect it in person.

Any advice/help is appreciated!
Based on the photos in the listing, he replaced the floor without removing the bellypan. Although this is possible to do if the bellypan is cut around the perimeter to gain access to install the bolts, but this is highly unlikely. If he did it that way, you'd see patch repairs all of the way around. I'd steer clear of this one unless he can prove that it's done properly. Another quasi restorer that got in over his head & decided to bail. There are lots of options out there, just keep looking, or assume that you have to do a bit more work to make it right.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
San Luis Obsipo , California
Didn't end up buying it, thanks for all the advice, you guys pointed out a lot of things I never would have seen.

We're looking at another one, and would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks again,
Joe and Lexi
jtmurphy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Looking or "The hunt" is half the fun! Take this time to learn a little bit every time you look at an ad, or different airstream to figure out the exact one you want, at the price you want. The last thing you want to do is buy something and have regrets. Oh, and put out a "Wanted Ad" on the classifieds here specifying what you want, and how much you want it for. You might get lucky, I did.
Clar7135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Your trailer is out there waiting for you, just have be patient until you find it. Took us nearly two years of scouring listings to find our 'perfect' one. Don't force it--when the right one comes along, you'll know it.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmurphy90 View Post

We're looking at another one, and would appreciate any advice you can give.

Price is too high see Price vs. Condition. That should be a $1000 trailer, but may command more in California. It is missing quite a bit of major interior parts that are very good to have, even if they are just patterns.

To get an idea of how much work this can be, see this thread. If you plan to use a professional restorer at all, one of the best is in your area -- you may want to consider giving Uwe a call before you buy.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 safari