Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Exclamation Airforums Classified Buyer Scams?

Hi all. I have some items for sale in our Airforums Classified section as well as Craig's List and recently recieved some suspicious purchase inquiries from the listings here. I expected them from the Craig's listings. but, here? I can't find the e-mail addresses or names of these 2 individuals in our members list. Any one experience this?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It seams the new gimmick on Craig's List and maybe now on our classifieds is mining for phone numbers and e mail address.

I have gotten a couple of almost INSTANT replies to new postings asking for contact information. These come in so fast I don't think anyone could have even had time to read the ad let alone determine if they needed the item.

Don't think I will use Craig's List as a seller any longer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Judy -- Sorry this happened to you. In the internet world today I am not surprised. A seller has to apply their best judgment whether placing an ad in your local newspaper or eBay or Craigslist or at Air Forums. Mostly by accident - but just yesterday I discovered a scammer looking at two ads and I emailed warning to the two sellers.

On the classifieds page there is a link to tips and advice on how to work with a sale.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Classifieds.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	88723

Air Forums cannot mediate sales -- they take place off this site and between the involved private parties. Be wary and alert. Know the high signs of a cashier check scam.

Do not reply if you get a suspicious email -- your email is hidden until you reply to them. PM a moderator if you have any questions!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
1995 36' Classic 36
Ambler , Pennsylvania
scam?

I got the following from a listing that I had only on the forum

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your feedback. I am currently negotiating with another seller from PA though but I will proceed with the purchase from you. I seem fine with the price and the condition is quite okay with me.... I'm from Seattle, Wa.

I seem to be fine with the price and the bike's condition. I will proceed with the purchase. Let me know how you will like to be paid. I can get you a certified check if you like, you will only need to get me the name and address to send it to.

As for the shipment, you do not need to bother about it. I am willing to take care of the whole shipping arrangement from my end; both the boxing and the shipping. Just let me know if this is okay with you.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
Beth.

This was for a sofa not a bike. I did not reply. I do not know what they are after but I am sure it is not the sofa from my safari.
Nancy and Richard
nawwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Well, I'm glad I posted this to the forum and the "red flags" I sensed seem to be justified. Boy, those scammers. If they put their efforts into a real career they would probably be quite successful. No harm has been done & I learned a valuable lesson without getting into trouble. Thanks everyone. Obviously in today’s world, buyer AND Seller, beware!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
nawwin, I'm not sure what you were dealing with.

An inquiry may say what their username on the forums might be. You can check the Members List on the overhead toolbar to see if the person has a history of posts and seems on the up-and-up. Scammers are rarely active more than a day or so. But then a lot of newbies getting into Airstreams have buying fever and don't post much before they inquire about an ad.
  • Feel better if the buyer deals with you face to face.
  • Exchange funds through high-confidence means. Cash works so very well! Or wait until a weekday and take the individual to your bank.
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scam, classifieds