Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Local Regs & Licensing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Able to put a same year of manufacture license plate on trailer in Florida

I done some research with Florida DMV about renewing my trailer registration with having an original year of manufacture license plate for my 1968 tradewind. A couple of months ago I was told by the office in our county courthouse that I couldn't do tis with a trailer, that the regs only allowed for a motorized vehicle. This past week a worker in the same office looked it up for me and it can be done. It appears there has been several changes to this reg in the past couple of years.

The requirements are outlined in RS-25 page 4, revised 11/02/07.

I'm going to send a FL 68-69 license plate to Tallahasee to have it authenticated and then I'll be able to legally put it on my Airstream.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
68 Tradewind
U can do that here also U just take the plate to the registar and fill out the paperwork to go to the capital. U can Run that antique plate if U can find them. I have been advertizing in the want ads here for 3 months stll hven't found a '77 plate.
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
No Yom In Nm

In NM you are stuck with the standard plate with those silly balloons. No YOM plates, no vanity plates, no special plates.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We did this with our 63, sent a 63-64 plate in and had it authenticated. It can take up to 3 months.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
In NM you are stuck with the standard plate with those silly balloons. No YOM plates, no vanity plates, no special plates.
What I left out is no YOM plates in NM for any vehicles. Specialty plates are available for cars only.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
What I left out is no YOM plates in NM for any vehicles. Specialty plates are available for cars only.
Less than enchanting ...
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
68 Tradewind
U can do that here also U just take the plate to the registar and fill out the paperwork to go to the capital. U can Run that antique plate if U can find them. I have been advertizing in the want ads here for 3 months stll hven't found a '77 plate.
I went to our court house and asked about that since the DMV office is rigth next door, there's a special office to mail it to at the state capitol, I could take it in person but it's a 3 hour drive one way. Initially, a state official has to physically examine the plate and determine it's authentic and readable. On the instruction form there is a note that reads "Note: The $100 initial registration fee is not required on vehicles 30 years and older." Naturally, I didn't voluntarily send in the $100.
Once this proces is completed for the vehicle/trailer, the plate can be transfered to the next owner or remain in the original owner's possesion. If transfered, the next owner doesn't have to repeat the process since it's been done already, just have to continue renewing the plate.

Mikethefixit-- Check on ebay for plates, you might just find what you're looking for. I bought this plate for $5 and have sold a few myself. Another good place to check is a junk yard, either a commercial one or a local one in the area owned by an individual hobbist.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Tradewind
I done some research with Florida DMV about renewing my trailer registration with having an original year of manufacture license plate for my 1968 tradewind. A couple of months ago I was told by the office in our county courthouse that I couldn't do tis with a trailer, that the regs only allowed for a motorized vehicle. This past week a worker in the same office looked it up for me and it can be done. It appears there has been several changes to this reg in the past couple of years.

The requirements are outlined in RS-25 page 4, revised 11/02/07.

I'm going to send a FL 68-69 license plate to Tallahasee to have it authenticated and then I'll be able to legally put it on my Airstream.
Better hurry before they change the regs again...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
That sounds very boring, that's a case where government wants every one to conform and not to be individualistic. It's crazy because vanity plates and such are a big money maker in states that have them.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
We did this with our 63, sent a 63-64 plate in and had it authenticated. It can take up to 3 months.
I know government works slow but that is pathetic! I hope mine don't take so long, I allowed 33 days before my current tage expires, thinking that would surely be long enough.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
68 Tradewind says:
Mikethefixit-- Check on ebay for plates, you might just find what you're looking for. I bought this plate for $5 and have sold a few myself. Another good place to check is a junk yard, either a commercial one or a local one in the area owned by an individual hobbist

The is actually a website or 2 specifically designed for license plate collectors. I would guess the right plate will be more likely to be found there than waiting for it to come around on ebay.

That sounds very boring, that's a case where government wants every one to conform and not to be individualistic. It's crazy because vanity plates and such are a big money maker in states that have them.

I was surprised when I found this out because for cars NM has 1. choice of balloons or traditional, childrens trust fund (I have one) NM Lobos plates, vanity plates, fireman and emt plates, veterans plates, national guard plates, horseless carriage plates and a few I don't remember.

The standard NM plate for NM has been yellow and red for years the correct YOM plate for my 71 is a green "House Trailer" plate.

The best plate is the red NM state legislature or governors plate. The NM legislature meets in February and the legislators are part time and live all over the state. When the legislature is in session you can't get a speeding ticket if yu have one of those red babies. I sent letters this week to my state legislator suggesting a YOM law.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
68 Tradewind
The best place to look for antique license plates is Ebay. Simply querry Ohio License Plate.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Better hurry before they change the regs again...
I wasn't albe to pull this off after all . I got the plate back in the mail from the Tallahsaee office with a letter stating that mobile homes, campers and trailers did not qualify for the Y.O.M. program . That's not what I was told at the local DMV office. I have a plan B which will take longer but maybe will benefit others in this same situation. I going to ask our local state representative if he would be willing to introduce legislation allowing vintage campers to be included the Y.O.M. program. Maybe it will go through. Airstreams have rights too and like the
Twisted Sister song goes, ...
You got to fight
for your right
to Airstream!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
NM YOM update

Quote:
I have a plan B which will take longer but maybe will benefit others in this same situation. I going to ask our local state representative if he would be willing to introduce legislation allowing vintage campers to be included the Y.O.M. program. Maybe it will go through. Airstreams have rights too and like the
Twisted Sister song goes, ...
You got to fight
for your right
to Airstream!
I did contact my state rep who contacted the head of NM DMV. I was pleasantly surprised they responded and they were surprised you can't put a YOM plate on a vintage travel trailer. I stand corrected from my original statement. NM does have a YOM law. Still can't put one on a trailer. The glich is the statute describes YOM plates on MOTOR vehicles . Since my Airstream is motorless I'm out of luck for now. It seems all that would be needed is to have the legislature delete the word "motor". In NM the legislature only meets for a month this year. Maybe next year
Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Lumatic-- Perhaps you can be instrumental in getting your state laws modified as well. Like here in Florida, the confusion arises over the wording. The law is ambigious between vehicle and motorized. I argued that even though it's a trailer, it has a vehicle title and registration. Even though vehicle usually implies having a motor, the wording just isn't right. Like you said, all they would have to do is strike off the word motor and leave the rest the same. Maybe they can get it fixed, it would be cool to have an old plate on a vintage trailer as well as let people on the road know what year it really is. I tell people my trailer is a '68 and they can't believe it until they see the inside.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
... The glich is the statute describes YOM plates on MOTOR vehicles . Since my Airstream is motorless I'm out of luck for now.
Hey Lumatic:

Don't you have a margarita blender in your Airstream? And doesn't the blender have a motor? See where this is going... ? Or push a crate motor thru the door and drive down to the DMV to show them your Airstream now has a motor ...
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I wasn't albe to pull this off after all . I got the plate back in the mail from the Tallahsaee office with a letter stating that mobile homes, campers and trailers did not qualify for the Y.O.M. program . That's not what I was told at the local DMV office.
More than once when a particular DMV office told me I can't or I need some document I didn't have I would just go to a different DMV branch, or even return later to a different window and get er done.

There is a local DMV office in Estancia which consists of a single person at a single desk, Estancia being Estancia we know each other of course and Cindy is usually very accomodating. The larger problem than the statute however is the state computer system will not recognize a YOM tag for any trailer. Cindy tried.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
be glad your state only meets for a month to spend your money.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
So after going to the director of MVD for NM and being told "sorry, you can't put a YOM plate on a TT because the statute says motor vehicle and your TT doesn't have a motor, wait until next year and maybe we can change the wording of the law". I went to a vintage rally last weekend (the justly well recommended 1st annual Four Corner Unit Vintage Restoration Rally) and found not one but 2 ASs with NM YOM plates, 1958 and 1962. With a modicum of righteous indignation I marched back into my MVD and got the same blank stares. but,. They told me to call the head honcho at the "special plates" office in Santa Fe who told me to call the Bureau chief who said "of course you can put a YOM plate on a 71 Airstream, who ever told you you couldn't. I proceeded to tell him my YOM saga. He sent me an email as such cc to the local MVD office. I smugly went back to MVD and got me my green 1971 NM House Trailer plates registered and it only took my 4 trips to MVD, 1 phone call to my state legislator, 3 calls to Santa Fe and 1 email.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	licplate.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	59786  
Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Yukon License Plate

Doesn't have anything to do with YOM plates but I saw this one on a trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polarplate2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	59788