Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Groo The Wanderer

1964 26' Overlander
Tucson , Arizona
Has anyone used a Pearl RearVision on their AS?

I am in the final stages of my 1964 Overlander remodel and I need to add a rearview camera to help me park my AS. I have seen the Pearl RearVision on cars but not on an AS. Does anyone have one? I am trying to limit the number of penetrations required for a rearview camera so this is an interesting option.

https://pearlauto.com/

Thanks.
IndianaDanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
There have been a couple of members who had, on larger units. They worked well, but they had an issue with the delay. I am also interested in this product and have reached out to the company. Great return policy. May work for you
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

San Clemenete , California
I am trying this one out

https://www.rvrearviewcamera.com/

Hi all --we just picked up our 2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 23. It is currently resting in storage. After a lot of review we bought the above wireless camera system.. Testing it in the house, there have been no issues or problems.

Basically it is a wireless HD camera made by Sharx and a Netgear 300 router all wiring and parts are included.

It is a wireless system ans uses our Iphone ( you can also use android)as the screen. It doesn't interfere with the iphone telephone. Basically were are setting up a LAN local area network between the car and camera with a small router in the middle.

I didn't want to run a wired system through the AS and tow vehicle.
Three screws and a positive 12v connection through the rear running light will get the camera powered. I always tow with the lights on so it is not an issue.

I will have to search for a permanent on 12v socket or find a source in the AS or will have to run a new circuit for the router.

The camera can be setup inside the trailer however the glass window blocks the IR infared in the dark.

The reason for this wireless set up with iphone is latency or lag measured by the difference between the time there is a signal input, and the time it takes the input to display on the screen. Delayed picture.
Can't even use a tablet, too slow.

The newest smartphones have so much computing capacity as to make for instant pictures of the rear view.

So far setup has been easy and the system works flawlessly indoors.Instructions were great.

I will get to exterior mounting on the Airstream and keep you posted.

Software is supplied by IPVision as an app. $9.99 for Apple App, free for Androids.

This setup is sold from a small operator. That is a good thing.
Tech support has been easy, friendly and flawless. Fred, the man you see in the videos of their website is helpful, patient and knowledgeable.He is tech support. All calls have been returned in about one minute.

Instructions, both a "quick start" set of instructions and a comprehensive detailed set of installation instructions with details, photos and tips are written in plain, mostly non technical English. Technical stuff was for the computer geeks that need to know how it all works.

In a nutshell--this is a wireless system. Put the camera where you want iy inside or out.
Add 12v power.

Put the router in a suggested area and power it.

Download the easy to use software. Easy setup
Change the wi-fi setup in your phone to see your local area network.

Instant picture no delays..
More to come as we are waiting for the rain to stop so we can set up the camera.

again here is the link:
https://www.rvrearviewcamera.com/

I have no connection or financial interest in this company.
l
CarolynSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
Groo The Wanderer

1964 26' Overlander
Tucson , Arizona
My wife bought me the Garmin RV760 LMT w Backup Camera for xmas but not sure I like the idea of running the wires through the AS. However that is one way to ensure the connection speed is acceptable and consistent. I am also trying to get the view needed with the smallest camera I can to ensure I do not detract from the looks of the AS. Tough balance but I will be on my own quite a bit when I am out in my AS when it is finished.
IndianaDanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
IndianaDanO, I too have opted for a wired system, mine arrives on 27 Jan. Now to get out there and figure out how I will route the cable. With mine there is a hookup harness which will be located between the tow vehicle and AS tongue. I may have to attach the cable to the underbelly, it is metal so sheet metal screws should work. At the rear of the 23ft Front Bed Flying Cloud is the lavatory (sink) and a rear window. I may try to see if I can get a fish tape down from the center marker light, past the window, and then to the bottom near the rear bumper. Here is where it becomes an external cable attached to the underbelly with sheet metal screws. This monologue makes it sound easy, but that is the way I look at life in general until I discover otherwise, easy!
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is & 2200 generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote