Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
Rear View Camera

I want to purchase a rear view camera for the 2016 Airstream that we just ordered. Any suggestions?
LWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I use one from

https://www.rvrearviewcamera.com/

It uses your phone for the screen.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
Any suugestions using a monitor instead of a phone. I want to give it to my husband for xmas and he doesn't have a smartphone. Lynette
Old 12-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Voyager wireless
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Voyager wireless
The Voyager digital wireless is a proven combination. Cheaper analog cameras are hit or miss as to picture reception, especially with an aluminum Airstream.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes, if you can't use a phone, Voyager is the way to go.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
+1 for Voyager - we love it

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
Rearview camera

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Sounds like Voyager is the way to go. Do all of the models work pretty well?
Old 10-06-2016, 01:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Orange County , California
I considered a Voyager but I had 2 concerns:

1 - Drilling into the Airstream
2 - Aesthetics

Personally, I don't care for the idea of mounting a camera to the roof. I opted for a hidden solution. I purchased a forward/rearward dash camera and had each camera mounted to the front and back window. They are hidden from view and work on wifi so any monitor could be used to view. I use an iPad as my monitor.

Since it is a dash cam, it records while parked whenever it senses motion so it serves as a security feature also.

I just started working on a website to document everything I have done but I'll share a few photos of the install. The first photo is a close-up of the forward facing camera. It has wifi built in and records in 1080p. The photo with the smaller camera is the one taken of the rear facing camera which records in 720p.

I'll try to get the step-step instructions and more photos posted to our website in the next few days. So far it has worked out very well, nobody can see it behind the glass and it provides an extra measure of security!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	272951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	272952  

TinVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:24 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Here is a short 20 second sample clip recorded on Sunday as we were leaving Crater Lake, Oregon. This video was taken from my Silverado out the back window. This is the same camera system which is now installed on the Airstream. Keep in mind when viewing, my rear window has limo tint installed over the factory tinted glass.
Attached Files
Old 10-06-2016, 04:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have the Voyager on our 2017 Classic, installed by the factory. The power for the camera comes from the marker lights on the top rear of the AS, so the lights need to be on for it to operate. The picture quality is ok, not great, but it works most of the time. I've towed for so many years I actually find it a distraction when backing up so only use it while driving to see what is coming up behind us at stops.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
The great thing about an internally wired backup camera is the power can be source directly to the power supply which doesn't require the lights to be on while driving.

My particular setup offers 1080p video forward and 720p to the rear.

I primarily use it view how far I can backup without running into a bush/tree/etc. I occasionally use it to view traffic driving behind me as well.

If anyone is interested in detailed photos documenting my install, I just posted several photos with a description to our website:

http://www.tinventure.com/backup-camera.html
Old 10-10-2016, 02:22 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
TinVenture your camera setup is nice but if he doesn't have a smart phone he isn't going to be interested in your setup.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
TinVenture your camera setup is nice but if he doesn't have a smart phone he isn't going to be interested in your setup.
A smartphone isn't required.

Even the Voyager system will require a monitor. The systems I looked at from Voyager were $599-$899.

One nice feature about the BlackVue system is it can be used with ANY monitor. It could be used with an iPhone or Android phone if you already own one. It could be used with an iPad or Android tablet if you own one of those. If you don't own a smartphone or tablet, Best Buy sells tablets starting at $49. My camera setup was $359 which was less expensive than any of the Voyager systems I looked at. I also happen to like the video recording rather than only a video monitor.

This setup definitely isn't for everyone, I just wanted to share with others another viable option available.

Jon
Old 10-11-2016, 06:17 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Jon, any problems getting your phone or tablet to connect to the BlackVue camera in the back of the trailer while sitting in the tow vehicle? Do you know what the WiFi range is on the camera? Do you think it would still work from the back window of a 30' trailer being towed by a pickup truck?
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
This is what I am considering. They are apple ex engineers, you plug into the Obd2 connector. Have a full return warranty. They said via email. Should easily transmit.
https://pearlauto.com/
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
This is what I am considering. They are apple ex engineers, you plug into the Obd2 connector. Have a full return warranty. They said via email. Should easily transmit.
https://pearlauto.com/
Their FAQ tab talks about usage in RVs and says that it may or may not work, but they'll accept returns if it doesn't work out. If you do end up getting one of these please update us on your experience. Thanks!
wanderingduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
Jon, any problems getting your phone or tablet to connect to the BlackVue camera in the back of the trailer while sitting in the tow vehicle? Do you know what the WiFi range is on the camera? Do you think it would still work from the back window of a 30' trailer being towed by a pickup truck?
I haven't had any problems with connecting. I was glad this camera system used wifi rather than Bluetooth for the sole purpose of range. The front camera is the one which has the wifi built into it. The rear camera is hard-wired to the front camera. Technically, you could have a 100' trailer and it wouldn't change the reception of the front wifi camera.

The only downside to wifi is that the iPhone tries to pull in data through the wifi source (camera) which results in no data being transmitted. The only 2 solutions I have found was to either "forget" the wifi network after each time using the camera app on my phone or to use a deditcated device like an iPad or Android tablet to stay permantnety connected. I have an iPad which is dedicated to viewing my rear backup camera and viewing my Bluetooth battery monitor in the Airstream.

Jon
Old 10-30-2016, 05:08 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
I like this idea, as I'm looking for a way to monitor who is outside the AS when I'm locked in at night. This is not a waterproof camera? My 20 foot has an elliptical window closest to the door which might work as a location to indoor mount. Your thoughts?
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
We have the AS with front bedroom. In the rear over the dinette is a cabinet with radio equipment. I installed the camera near the marker lights but routed the wire into the cabinet and installed a switch so I can control when the camera is on. I also installed a LED next to it that illuminates when the power is on so I remember to turn the camera off.