Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Clarkston , MI
I have the Apple TV HD version connected to my BenQ projector via HDMI. This projects to a 60 inch screen on the passenger side of the Classic RV. (it doubles as a window shade) A Harmon Kardin sound bar is just in front of the screen and that uses bluetooth to get the sound from the Apple TV.

All the above WiFi discussions apply here. You need to provide something to centralize the network in your vehicle. The Apple TV will utilize that to talk to other devices or stream if it can reach the internet.
Beltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Apple TV

We kept the Sony DVD and I also used Velcro to attack a Apple TV to the back of the Airstreams Front TV. Hooked it to HDMI 2. Works well if you have strong Wi-Fi. No Wi-Fi no Apple TV. Our Apple TV will not stream off our phone hotspots.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Clarkston , MI
We used our iPad to connect to the hotspot (it’s WiFi only) and that streamed the movie. I was surprised it worked really but I hear lots of folks use hotspots to connect.
Beltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Sandy , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hedaya View Post
I would like to replace the supplied Sony DVD player in my 2022 flying cloud with an Apple TV. My goal is to have the sound go through the sound system and display the picture on the two TVs.

Has anyone had any luck or does anyone have any suggestions with how to accomplish this?
It was so annoying to try to watch DVDs (rain days) with the crappy TV speakers. I installed the little number using the vacant AUX port on the JL Audio controlller. Work like a charm. Available on Amazon for $25. avedio links 4K@60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor, HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink SPDIF + 3.5mm AUX Stereo Audio Out, HDMI Audio Converter Adapter Splitter Support HDCP1.4 Full HD 1080P 3D
Rosey Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hedaya View Post
I would like to replace the supplied Sony DVD player in my 2022 flying cloud with an Apple TV. My goal is to have the sound go through the sound system and display the picture on the two TVs.

Has anyone had any luck or does anyone have any suggestions with how to accomplish this?
Harry

I just finished building a new cabinet to save space after removing the Blu-ray player and incorporating an Apple TV. I installed an audio extractor, which splits the audio from the HDMI signal, using a male 3.5mm stereo to L/R male RCA cable to connect to the auxiliary input on the JL system. The audio will play through the audio system (volume controllable via the volume knob only) AND the TV via the HDMI. You can have audio in both sound system and TV, or either or.

The extractor I used I got off Amazon for $18. It works, but had trouble with maintaining power when the unit is tucked into the back of the cabinet, which I resolved with several zip ties. Extractor requires a 5V wall wart. I may upgrade to an extractor from Monoprice.com (more money, but much better quality) where I get most of my cables, power adapters, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Con...tractor&sr=8-5

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13349

As far as the install, the Apple TV is mounted on it’s side next to the head unit taped in place with simple 3M tape. The space in my cabinet is the same as the original on the right side. I drilled a 7/8” hole in front of the power light to confirm when the Apple TV is on. I use my iPhone as a remote control, as the Apple TV remote’s IR signal doesn’t communicate as well because of the location. I use my phone’s hotspot for internet signal with an ATT unlimited plan. We don’t watch much TV, but nice to have better sound quality now (first trip with this setup starts tomorrow).

FYI, watching TV is the only reason we have for activating our inverter (TV, Apple TV, and audio extractor). Switching off the inverter kills all three, very easy. Still have to turn off the JL manually though (life is tuff).

Hope this helps.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D7A5FAF-D301-42AC-9AED-62F9EC53D29D.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	406836   Click image for larger version

Name:	68260162-80E0-4A60-AD82-A77B304DD86C.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	406837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	EDF8B2A5-CB3F-4326-98A0-7E545053F440.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	406838  
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:11 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
Swapped out the BR in our GT with Apple TV. I had an old, unused wifi router and put that up there also. As others have noted it requires wifi to stream to, but you can use any basic wifi router to create that network and airplay to the apple tv. (As others have noted that doesn't give you any internet connectivity, a bigger topic). If you are in a campground with decent wifi (there are a few), go into the apple tv network settings, switch from your router to the live network. I haven't tried, but I think you could stream from a phone (eg on Verizon) and still be connected via wifi to the (no network router) to airplay to the apple tv?

I have iphone, ipad and macbook, my challenge is I'd ideally like to download a handful of movies to any one of those devices and then airplay to the apple tv when there's no coverage. Some services allow you to download for offline viewing (Netflix/Amazon), but then don't allow airplay to the apple tv. Hulu is the only one I've found that in theory offers both, but when I tried it, it seems like it still required a network connection to check in or something. Apple's TV+ content (eg. Ted Lasso) would be another service that has this feature, but limited choices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
wayne b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne b View Post
Swapped out the BR in our GT with Apple TV. I had an old, unused wifi router and put that up there also. As others have noted it requires wifi to stream to, but you can use any basic wifi router to create that network and airplay to the apple tv. (As others have noted that doesn't give you any internet connectivity, a bigger topic). If you are in a campground with decent wifi (there are a few), go into the apple tv network settings, switch from your router to the live network. I haven't tried, but I think you could stream from a phone (eg on Verizon) and still be connected via wifi to the (no network router) to airplay to the apple tv?

I have iphone, ipad and macbook, my challenge is I'd ideally like to download a handful of movies to any one of those devices and then airplay to the apple tv when there's no coverage. Some services allow you to download for offline viewing (Netflix/Amazon), but then don't allow airplay to the apple tv. Hulu is the only one I've found that in theory offers both, but when I tried it, it seems like it still required a network connection to check in or something. Apple's TV+ content (eg. Ted Lasso) would be another service that has this feature, but limited choices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi

The simple answer is that none of these services let you download a full up copy you can use anywhere. A copy like that is something that could easily be "passed around" to others. That's exactly what they don't want you to do. When you download this or that, it's got a key (or some such thing) that needs to be pulled from your account (online) each time you watch it. That's as good as it gets.

This is not a bad thing. If you are out in an area that barely has coverage, you probably can still get enough data speed to get the key.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:19 AM   #28
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The simple answer is that none of these services let you download a full up copy you can use anywhere. A copy like that is something that could easily be "passed around" to others. That's exactly what they don't want you to do. When you download this or that, it's got a key (or some such thing) that needs to be pulled from your account (online) each time you watch it. That's as good as it gets.

This is not a bad thing. If you are out in an area that barely has coverage, you probably can still get enough data speed to get the key.

Bob
Not sure this is correct. I've downloaded movies and TV shows from Apple TV and then watched them while on an airplane while the device had no connectivity at all.

I've done the same thing with Google (YouTube) by downloading various shows to my smartphone. They play just fine with the phone in airplane mode and having no connectivity at all.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Boise , ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeahBay View Post
Harry

I just finished building a new cabinet to save space after removing the Blu-ray player and incorporating an Apple TV. I installed an audio extractor, which splits the audio from the HDMI signal, using a male 3.5mm stereo to L/R male RCA cable to connect to the auxiliary input on the JL system. The audio will play through the audio system (volume controllable via the volume knob only) AND the TV via the HDMI. You can have audio in both sound system and TV, or either or.

The extractor I used I got off Amazon for $18. It works, but had trouble with maintaining power when the unit is tucked into the back of the cabinet, which I resolved with several zip ties. Extractor requires a 5V wall wart. I may upgrade to an extractor from Monoprice.com (more money, but much better quality) where I get most of my cables, power adapters, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Con...tractor&sr=8-5

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13349

As far as the install, the Apple TV is mounted on it’s side next to the head unit taped in place with simple 3M tape. The space in my cabinet is the same as the original on the right side. I drilled a 7/8” hole in front of the power light to confirm when the Apple TV is on. I use my iPhone as a remote control, as the Apple TV remote’s IR signal doesn’t communicate as well because of the location. I use my phone’s hotspot for internet signal with an ATT unlimited plan. We don’t watch much TV, but nice to have better sound quality now (first trip with this setup starts tomorrow).

FYI, watching TV is the only reason we have for activating our inverter (TV, Apple TV, and audio extractor). Switching off the inverter kills all three, very easy. Still have to turn off the JL manually though (life is tuff).

Hope this helps.
Bob
Hey Bob, great setup! Thanks for posting the details!

Do you use a cell booster so your phone hotspot works "better"?

Thanks!
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Not sure this is correct. I've downloaded movies and TV shows from Apple TV and then watched them while on an airplane while the device had no connectivity at all.

I've done the same thing with Google (YouTube) by downloading various shows to my smartphone. They play just fine with the phone in airplane mode and having no connectivity at all.
Hi

TV shows are different than movies ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #31
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

TV shows are different than movies ....

Bob
I mentioned both movies and TV shows. I know it worked this summer as I watched both while traveling and totally disconnected from any cell or WiFi.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:58 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Hey Bob, great setup! Thanks for posting the details!

Do you use a cell booster so your phone hotspot works "better"?

Thanks!
I don’t use a cell booster…. yet. Maybe in future. It hasn’t been that critical for us, and if no signal or weak signal, we do other things.

Bob
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Sorry for the late reply, working on listing a house. Yes, you can watch a program on your Apple TV and listen through the sound system without changing any of the wiring. Connect the Apple TV to your music system via Bluetooth, it works well…no noticeable delay.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I mentioned both movies and TV shows. I know it worked this summer as I watched both while traveling and totally disconnected from any cell or WiFi.

I used Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube, and Apple TV+ all in the last week to watch TV shows I downloaded while having zero internet in the Everglades. I use the Apple HDMI connector. It works very well, but there are some Amazon titles that would only play on my phone. It is some kind of digital “protection” that I guess makes sense to someone.

I would tee up a season of something while we were out during the day, where we had some kind of signal, and by the time we got home we had a few episodes, up to full seasons, ready to watch. Amazon and Apple seem to download relatively quickly, while Netflix was a bit slower.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
Jeff wondering when you say HDMI are you going from the phone/laptop directly to the tv? In my case (and others on the thread) the HDMI port on the Apple TV is connected to the TV in place of the stock Blu Ray player. Which means you can only airplay to the Apple tv.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We do everything off line as we rarely have adequate wifi or cellular to stream. You absolutely can download and watch content off line from Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Apple TV+ (app, not device), and maybe others but these are the ones we use. You can also use your Apple TV without wifi to do peer-to-peer airplay from mac or IOS which we did for a while. Unfortunately, only Apple TV+ supports airplay with download content. Amazon and Netflix block it. The best and most reliable solution we have found is just a simple longer HDMI cable from the TV splitter (what used to go to your Blue Ray) connected to an IOS device like iPad using the Apple Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter which also has a power port to keep things going. IOS is better than mac, which we also tried, as it is the only one that has supported apps by Amazon and Netflix for download and off line viewing (I can't speak to PC/Android). We have used this very successfully to take our home viewing list on the road without worry about service. One quirk to make note of with Amazon Prime Video. If you have the Thunderbolt to HDMI cable connected when you start a show/movie, it will give an error. Simply disconnect the cable before starting and then re-connect after it is going and works great from there.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne b View Post
Jeff wondering when you say HDMI are you going from the phone/laptop directly to the tv? In my case (and others on the thread) the HDMI port on the Apple TV is connected to the TV in place of the stock Blu Ray player. Which means you can only airplay to the Apple tv.

Ii pulled all the entertainment stuff out and set it up so I could swap inputs to the HDMI splitter. I usually have a Fire Stick plugged in but when I watch downloaded content I pull the Fire Stick out and plug in an HDMI cable with the Apply HDMI gadget.

We use YouTube TV which will play to the TV direct from my iPhone, which is nice when we blow through all of our hotspot and MIFI data, as well as being able to play downloaded movies and TV shows directly without a cell signal.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
'Camping' with wifi is like sleeping in a union suit...hard to have any up close fun. TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
We do everything off line as we rarely have adequate wifi or cellular to stream. You absolutely can download and watch content off line from Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Apple TV+ (app, not device), and maybe others but these are the ones we use. You can also use your Apple TV without wifi to do peer-to-peer airplay from mac or IOS which we did for a while. Unfortunately, only Apple TV+ supports airplay with download content. Amazon and Netflix block it. The best and most reliable solution we have found is just a simple longer HDMI cable from the TV splitter (what used to go to your Blue Ray) connected to an IOS device like iPad using the Apple Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter which also has a power port to keep things going. IOS is better than mac, which we also tried, as it is the only one that has supported apps by Amazon and Netflix for download and off line viewing (I can't speak to PC/Android). We have used this very successfully to take our home viewing list on the road without worry about service. One quirk to make note of with Amazon Prime Video. If you have the Thunderbolt to HDMI cable connected when you start a show/movie, it will give an error. Simply disconnect the cable before starting and then re-connect after it is going and works great from there.
This helpful post should be pinned under "How to play offline content in the Apple ecosystem." I'm fairly tech savvy and spent like 1-2 hours trying to figure this stuff out and this explains it.

One question: When you say 'Thunderbolt to HDMI', are you talking about Thunderbolt 3 (aka USB C) to female HDMI, such as this product -
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Aluminu.../dp/B07THJGZ9Z
Old 11-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
This is what I use. I have seen aftermarket versions for sale on Amazon, but have heard some can create issues. I can’t speak for them, but this one works very well…

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter