Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #81
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Here are a couple of photos from the adventure this weekend, astute observers may notice further changes than have been previously related:
I guess the change was too subtle for most viewers to notice...Look closely at the tow vehicle...Notice anything different about it? Like, it's newer, and doesn't have an extended cab? But it's exactly the same color ...
We liked Moose, but there were a few things that were going to cost a bucket of money, which we don't have now, as well as taking several weeks to get the parts. The new ULSD fuel was playing havoc on the injector pump (it started leaking a while back, and the leak has gotten worse), one of the auxilliary transmissions was having problems shifting, and, of course, the air conditioning went away during the recent trip to give Goliath to his new caretakers. I won't even mention the small rust spots that turned into huge rust holes in the roof while I was convalescing. While I can fix all the things
this time around, I currently have no place to perform the repairs (no working on vehicles allowed in this trailer park), and the delay in getting the new parts for the auxilliary transmission was an issue to think about for the future, if there is another problem on the road. I wouldn't want to spend 3 weeks sitting along the road somewhere, so we got a vehicle that we can get parts for at any Napa.
The new tow vehicle is also an F250, but a standard cab, instead of an extended cab, and a 5.8 gas engine instead of the turbo diesel, and 5 speed instead of an automatic with the two auxilliary transmissions. It now also has a cap (topper) on the bed to hold our surplus and seasonal stuff and keep it dry. It has no rust, either, and the air conditioner blows cold.
I was able to find someone that really wanted Moose, and I sold it to him for enough money to purchase the new truck. I would have preferred a diesel, but the new truck is in such good shape I went ahead and got it. It did well on the trip to Ocala, getting a tad over 10 mpg, and was able to keep up our speed of 60 mph up the hills on the way there. (yes, there are hills in Florida, some kind of steep) It gets 15 not towing, not bad for a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
wow.

i guess that'll teach me to get really involved in our own airstream project and not pay attention to the forums! i pretty much JUST NOW caught up on the whole "sell Goliath, buy new(er) AS, sell the house and go fulltiming" saga late last night and early this morning. again... wow.

hubby and i are trying to get our own trailer ready (or at least ready to hit the road) by the end of the month (end of June), so i hope we'll run into ya somewhere i think that "where are we camping now" blog/thread thingie is a GREAT idea! also, if your antenna isn't finished or fixed by the time we're done with our trailer, my hubby might be able to help you with that.

i'm just so impressed what all you've done... injuries notwithstanding. you guys are truly an inspiration!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #83
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzklaw
wow.

i guess that'll teach me to get really involved in our own airstream project and not pay attention to the forums! i pretty much JUST NOW caught up on the whole "sell Goliath, buy new(er) AS, sell the house and go fulltiming" saga late last night and early this morning. again... wow.
Things happen fast around our house. We're thinking about providing score cards so everyone can keep up...
One of the things I always do to a new-to-us vehicle, is go through and replace all the belts and hoses, and change all the fluids and filters, as well as light bulbs and windshield wipers. That way I have a baseline on when the last time all this was done. I had the oil changed, a u-joint replaced, and replaced the belt, and was planning to replace the hoses next week, but the new truck didn't want to wait. One of the heater hoses started weeping last night, so I'll be getting the heater hoses replaced tomorrow, and the rest of the hoses next weekend.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good afternoon,

Today we completed the floor tile install in the kitchen and bathroom, and Terry got the carpet down in the living room. And only one trip to home depot! I put tiles down for the first time and the area around the toilet gave me a blooming fit. It still doesn't satisfy me so I may redo them. I had to piece some areas together and I think it looks awful.

Bertha is really starting to come together. I can't wait to get the curtains hung, and the new gaucho cover on. That will really show the difference and improvement.

We were going to take the camera and get pictures, but both of us forgot it. I promise to take it next time.

Well it's almost 6pm so I need to get dinner ready or they will fire the cook. And Cookie and Suzie act like they are starving to death.

More later

Marie
Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hello,

We finished putting in the carpet, and I redid the tiles in the bathroom. Terry took the toilet out and I was able to fit them better. I also cleaned the excess glue off the floor using goo gone and it worked very well. Came home and took shower with goo gone and got it off me!!

I started repairing the trim molding (woodgrain stuff) using a secret item and it looks pretty good. Actually the truth be known, another forum member told me to get contact paper and use it, and that's what I did. So much for a secret item!!! Readily available at home depot.

Tomorrow morning we will be hanging curtains, and putting the gaucho cover on. I also need to cover the side boards on the wall over the beds. We are taking Bertha out next weekend to help elderly friends of ours learn how to operate and take care of the sob motor home they are buying from another friend!!

Well need to feed animals and get our dinner ready.

Marie
Old 06-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #86
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think I should update everybody on what I've been doing the last few days. I crawled inside the kitchen counter, and jacked up the part nearest the outer wall, where it was sagging. It turns out the mounting screws from the countertop to the wall had backed out of the wall over time, and allowed the counter to sag. While I will have to remove the stove to permanently fix this, I was able to shore it up so it will no longer sag until we replace the stove with a piezio-ignited version. I also removed the center bulkhead wall where the oven/convection oven were located, and straightened that as well. It no longer has a curious tilt to the left, and mates with the inner wall skin like it should. I also installed three underbed tambours (what a pain that was), and installed a new flourescent light fixture over the sink area, remounted the shelf in the water heater housing cabinet, shored up the plywood base for the beds, and remounted the bedroom mounted TV slightly lower. I originally mounted the TV 4" too high to open the blanket locker, it would come down on the TV, and hit the power switch. I also installed new window bar holders in one of the windows in the living room, and as soon as I find the other pair, I will use them to repair the bathroom window.
Our little Honda generator has been a lifesaver, running all day when we are out working on Bertha, keeping fans and chargers for the cordless drills and other battery popwered devices working. While not big enough to run the air conditioner, it is small enough to be carried back to the storage room daily, and do it on 1/2 gallon of gas per day.
I keep forgetting to bring the camera along to document the progress on Bertha, I'll do my best to take it along, and post some before and after pics tomorrow night.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #87
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Sounds like you two have been busy. It is a lot of work to get the campers ready to camp, I can only imagine what we would have to do if we planned on living in it. Even though, I would do it in a heartbeat if I could talk my husband in it. Have sewing machine, will travel! Cant wait to see pictures of all the things you are doing to Bertha. I have to admit I am an avid Terry and Marie groupie. I check daily for progress reports! You two are an inspiration after all you have been through. Keep up the good work amd I will check back tomorrow for my daily fix!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Hey Terry,

Put your camera in one of your shoes! We would love to see your progress and those pics would make a nice memory album of your new adventure!

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:19 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
Hey Terry,

Put your camera in one of your shoes! We would love to see your progress and those pics would make a nice memory album of your new adventure!

sue
Sue,

We tried putting the camera in his shoe, but he couldn't get his foot in it!!!!

It's in my purse.

Marie
Old 06-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #90
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The eagerly anticipated photos

Here are the photos of the inside of Bertha. I'll see if I can post before and after photos side by side:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 047.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	39299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 260.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	39300  

Name:	Picture 181.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	39301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 252.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	39302  

Name:	Picture 054.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	39303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 262.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	39304  

Name:	Picture 167.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	39305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 253.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	39306  

Old 06-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #91
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
More pictures:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 263.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	39307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 249.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	39308  

Name:	Picture 259.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	39309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 248.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	39310  

Name:	Picture 255.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	39311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 256.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	39312  

Name:	Picture 258.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	39313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 261.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	39314  

Name:	Picture 265.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	39315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 264.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	39316  

Old 06-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Oh, wow you guys, Bertha looks GREAT! I know you are busting your butts on it and it certainly shows it!

If you get through Arkansas way, you are welcome to stay here! We have a guest room and power/water hookups, and the RV dump is about 11 miles away at the truck stop. We're about 25 miles south of Little Rock--PM me any time if you would like directions!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good evening,

As you can see, this has been a very busy week. I have to tell you, Tammy, silver threads, did an absolute wonderful job on the gaucho cover and the curtains. Fit was perfect and craftmanship was very professional.

Bertha looks so nice I can't wait to start full timing!!

Marie
Old 06-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #94
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Oh, here's one more picture. This is a street sign on the road leading to the storage lot where Bertha currently resides. We think it's fitting:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 235.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	39317  
Old 06-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Looking good!

Lookin real good there T&M. I've been keeping up. Good to hear you're getting around better.

Say...was that a 1 or 2 brick unvented gas heater I saw? I have used those things in my house for a long time. Didn't think about putting one in the camper. They're great to knock the chill off in the house. I'll bet one would heat a whole camper just fine.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #96
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy63

Say...was that a 1 or 2 brick unvented gas heater I saw? I have used those things in my house for a long time. Didn't think about putting one in the camper. They're great to knock the chill off in the house. I'll bet one would heat a whole camper just fine.
The catalytic heater has 2 ceramic elements. That one should keep Bertha nice and toasty this winter, a good thing because the furnace has been unhooked. I don't know why (haven't tried it), but I am betting it is for a good reason.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Cool (pun)

Let me know how that works out. Those things are way simpler to install and operate than a furnace. (I should say a 44 year old furnace that I haven't tried yet). If you're lucky, you can find one with a built in thermostat. Put a small desktop fan pointed toward the back to circulate and you'll have no trouble staying warm. I may check into one for bigeasy this fall.

(Although, I can't figure out why you would need one in South America where you live. Maybe you're planning to travel north.)

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #98
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy63
If you're lucky, you can find one with a built in thermostat. Put a small desktop fan pointed toward the back to circulate and you'll have no trouble staying warm. I may check into one for bigeasy this fall.

(Although, I can't figure out why you would need one in South America where you live. Maybe you're planning to travel north.)
It has three temp settings, hot, hotter, and blast furnace. We are planning to go North for this winter, although North to us is anything North of Miami...
Old 06-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #99
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Zip-Dee doo duh...

We finally were able to deploy the main awning today, in what looks like the first time in a decade. It was green with mildew, one of the seams has rotted through, and it has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese. One of the hold-down wheels was siezed in place from non-use, and I tore the retaining pin out of the housing trying to get it to release.
A couple of hours of joy with a bottle of Howes oil and a butane torch, with vise grips and a pipe wrench, finally yielded the desired results. I got the wheel freed up, and ran a tap and a die through the wheel and over the rod that goes onto the retainer for the awning. We also found out, to our chagrin, that the fabric has contracted slightly over the time it has not been used, and installing the braces was a real struggle. We prevailed at last, and I took these photos of the awning out. It looks a lot better than it is...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 266.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	39360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 267.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	39361  

Old 06-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,

If you look at the shadow of the awning, you will see the sunlight line. That is where I will be taking a C needle and heavy duty thread and attempting to sew the seam. What we really need to do is go to Bob's in Ocala and purchase new awning fabric. We are making a list and will be going there as soon as we can.

We are talking about getting a new cooktop with 3 burners and different counter top like a light faux granite. We still need several tambors and a few little items and will be adding to the list after our outing next week.

We are going out to teach elderly Canadian friends of ours how to use thier new SOB motor home they purchased from the friend we are staying with. Planning to have fun!! We are going to Franklin Locks in Fort Myers on the Caloosahatchee (?) River. Thought I would die laughing when Zelda said "what is a black tank and why do we have to empty it". When we told her, she yelled at Ron that they would have to use the campground bathroom!!!
She then decided maybe it would be a good thing to learn how to empty it. Then we told her about the grey tank!

Have a good evening.

Marie

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel