Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
2003 26' Land Yacht-"Bud"

coarsegold , California
Inverter

Anybody have ANY info on an inverter that I might add to a 2003 26' LY? I'm fairly "handy", so if anyone has specific info that may help me install it on this MH, I'd really appreciate it, as well. Cost? Best brand? Good place to connect and mount? Remote switch somewhere convenient?

Ahhh...some assumptions....And you know what they say about *assumptions*! What I'd like to do is run the TV and satellite while boondocking. I certainly don't want to jeopardize the proper operation of the LY ("Bud") for some lousy TV programs. So I don't expect to run the AC, microwave, hair dryer, etc. on the inverter power. But I wonder: Does the connection from the batteries thru the inverter service all of the 110 plugs? Or do you need to be specific as to *which ones* you connect?

Again, in order to keep the peace, I'd like to help the Boss watch some trashy reality shows, the Food Network, and Home and Garden Channel....(BTW, when she watches HGC, I have to wait a month to come home or she'll want to put crown molding in the garage)...I like to boondock and watch the sky. Without cranking up the generator....

So, if there's any help out there...Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1169.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	86388  
magwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Don't know how it would work if you are installing an after market inverter, but the factory inverter in our 06 Bambi puts power to a separate set of outlets...there are 110 outlets and there are inverter outlets and they do not mix...don't know if this is a wiring requirement or just the way Airstream did it. This may be a function of the fact that the inverter is limited to a maximum wattage load, while not the case with regular 110...(within reason, that is). Our inverter is 600 watts... plenty to run TV, DVD, charge phone, run the computer, etc...no high-load items. If I were installing it after market I'd want more watts. Of course, the more watts you produce/use the more drain it will be on your batteries. (Check the appliances you want to use...there's a plate or label on them showing what wattage they require.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Inverter

If all that you want to do is power your television and satellite receiver, have you considered a portable inverter. I carry one of these for use in my towcar for a laptop computer with GPS system, then utilize it in my coach for the purpose that you describe. I purchased mine from Radio Shack more than five years ago, and it has been superbly reliable. The model that I purchased is still available but at half the price that it was then -- it can be found at this link.

Just a thought for a less costly alternative.

Kevin

P.S.: I have a permanently mounted inverter in my Overlander, and I find this portable to be more useful under most conditions.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 AM   #4

coarsegold , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
If all that you want to do is power your t
P.S.: I have a permanently mounted inverter in my Overlander, and I find this portable to be more useful under most conditions.
Thanks much, Kevin and TB.

Because the TV system has five elements of hardware (2 TV's, the satellite antenna, a "selection box", and the satellite receiver itself), most with plugs at spread out in various places, I thought that "plumbing" an inverter into the system where it would run off the batteries on demand when no shore power was connected would be the ticket.

Otherwise, if the reasonable portable inverter alternative you mentioned would be used, I guess I'd have to dig out each plug individually and plug into the inverter (after counting up the "run" load and start-up loads). Or, use separate inverters with the proper output for each. Then, if/when using shore power (or the generator), I'd have to re-plug into the existing 110 outlets.That seems like more of a connection nightmare than I'm willing to face.

Maybe flowers for the Boss rather than giving her TV while boondocking?

What the hell do I know? After 37 years of marital bliss (on 9/2/09) and raising three daughters, I still know less about the fairer gender generally, and my woman specificaly, than I'd care to admit.

Thanks for educating me on this. (The electrical portion of my dilemma)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 4.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	86395  
Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #5

coarsegold , California
Back on the inverter track.

So, I've been researching the inverter stuff and find many available that will work. I added up the wattage requirement of the "stuff" that The Boss uses...Amazing what goes into a woman's hair. I don't have any hair, so it's hard to understand. But she "needs" electricity. And I *want* to boondock. With her!!! And I'd like to be "self contained" do it in an area and in a way that doesn't disrupt people or plants or animals.....You know, the generator at 6:00 am....

So, the inverter seems to be the best way to go.

I can't seem to find any specific wiring diagrams that would show me how to "plug" an inverter into the system, or any info on the 8.1 chassis for a 26 footer that would help me decide on placement, if I should use (or *can* use) additional batteries, and the ever-loving wiring set up required.

I want to put the inverter in the coach so I can use specific appliances up to the limits of the wattage the inverter would provide. And I really need to do this without digging for plugs (like the TV plug behind the dash), or asking The Boss to curl her hair up sitting in the driver's seat, next to the 12v outlet.

If anybody has more info on an install, or knows someone I could call to discuss it with, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	86769  
Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
Inverter

I have a 1995 35' LY Pusher that offered an Inverter as an option. Ours did not come with an Inverter as built at the factory. Under the hood in front, there is an electrical box marked "Inverter Interface". I researched in my electrical wiring diagrams in the owners manual and found that all of the coaches came pre wired for an inverter regardless if the option was ordered.

I bought a 2000w Xantrex Freedom Inverter and a remote display off of Ebay and scrounged from an electrician friend of mine who had recently replaced all of the batteries off of a cell site UPS. We took 4 that had recently been replaced and mounted them in the "nose" of the LY in front of the driver (coach batteries are on the passanger side.

I opened the silver interface box and found two circuits that run from the breaker panel in the coach. I hooked up the inverter inline and sealed up the box.

Works flawlessly and was VERY easy to install. Hardest part was securing the batts to the deck. The power is fed from two breakers in the coach AC panel. One is a 20 amp and the other a 15amp GFCI. The 20 amp feeds the microwave and the GFCI feeds most of the outlets in the coach (no lights). After the install, both circuits come from the coach AC panel to the inverter than out to the outlets/microwave. You can set the inverter to produce 110V whn it loses power or manually. The remote panel lets you know the status of the batteries and the load.

Ed
batwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'm not sure how far away your batteries are from where you watch TV but you could wire a 2000 watt inverter to the batteries, say within 3 to 4 feet with heavy battery cable, and then run a power strip from the inverter to your TV area. That is what I plan on doing with my '86 Sovereign 25'. I will move the single battery out of the front curbside battery compartment and have a deep box built between the frame rails. I would then add two 12 volt Trojan batteries to the box. I'd run heavy battery cables from the box to under the front couch where the inverter would be mounted. I'd then run a heavy duty power strip from under the couch arm and up onto the credenza opposite the trailer door. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
checkout Northern Arizona Wind and Solar site.They have a lot of information on inverters,solar panels controllers etc. They sell all the above and also have a forum where you can ask questions.
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
The inverter cannot be connected to the 110 wiring of the AS at the same time as shore power or a generator. That is why Airstream used separate outlets for the inverter. You could use a transfer switch or use an inverter with a built in transfer switch. These two are from inverters are us. Just don't get the inverter with transfer switch from AIMS power it is junk! Rapid Mobile 3 Way Automatic Transfer Switch $199.00Part Number: PWR3AXFER30 For reliable, safe power at all times, The Automatic Rapid 3 Way Automatic Transfer Switch is your ideal solution. Like other automatic transfer switches, this device provides for seamless, immediate transfer of electrical power between an AC outlet and a backup generator. But, the Automatic Rapid 3 Way Automatic Transfer Switch takes it one step further with its digital operated software that ...
Samlex ST-1000-112 1000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Tran... $598.00Samlex ST-1000-112 1000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Transfer Switch This high efficiency microprocessor controlled DC-AC inverter ... power at 100/110/120 Volts, 50/60 Hz. The unit comes with in-built 16 Amp transfer switch and a 12 Amp circuit breaker. Input battery cable lugs are provided ...
!
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
I did the same as Batwingz. I wanted the inverter inside the coach and used the hole from the old analog TV to mount it. I used 2/0 cables and 300A fuse from Arizona Wind and Power and wired to the GFCI line only and did no include the Microwave circuit. System runs off two Lifeline AGM group 4 batteries under the bonnet. All the power that is required. The only caution is to make sure the grounds are good and when using the inverter, change the refer over to gas or it will hog the ac power. See pictures in old front TV removal thread. I'd post them again, but on the road in Baltimore and only have travel laptop.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Google "butane curling iron" just to help on some of the problem. They are cheap and don't care where you use them.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #12

coarsegold , California
Thanks to All

Looks like the curling iron draws less then I thought. The hair dryer pulls 1400W. The boss is willing to do whatever it takes to make it work...Like anything to keep me from spending the dough on an inverter and more batteries, etc. Claims I'm a "Gadget Guy".

I don't argue that point. But she'll thank me when I get the set-up set up! And what the heck? I'm taking the dough out of my own stash (37 years ago we separated the $$$$...People laugh at the way we work it. Some of those that laughed aren't married any more).

I'm fighting with the correct way to do this. Looking for a good space for the batteries. Counting batteries. parallel...series hook ups. Charging. And the inverter. I've settled on pure sine because of the computer. And I'm scouring e-bay for a 2000w inverter. Maybe with an internal "power sharing" switch and a charger. I'm not really "confused" more than I haven't decided. And not well educated. I haven't had quite enough of your advice.

I DO KNOW that I want to get at least 2000w, continuous of pure sine. I think I want to go with 12v using 4 6v; 2 in parallel and 2 in series. But I'm not sure about any of it (except my use level) until I hear some more of your experiences.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tripin' with Fultoon.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	87508  
Old 09-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
one of these would make you both very happy.

12 Volt Hair Dryer / Defroster Black RV Camper - $17.23
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Maumelle , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
Google "butane curling iron" just to help on some of the problem. They are cheap and don't care where you use them.
That is pretty cool. I had no idea they made something like that. Now if someone would come up with a butane Chi.
kaferboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #15

coarsegold , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferboy1 View Post
That is pretty cool. I had no idea they made something like that. Now if someone would come up with a butane Chi.

Like this?
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #16

coarsegold , California
The Next Stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwa View Post
...snip...I DO KNOW that I want to get at least 2000w, continuous of pure sine. I think I want to go with 12v using 4 6v; 2 in parallel and 2 in series. But I'm not sure about any of it (except my use level) until I hear some more of your experiences.
Looks like I made a deal on a pure sine 3600w (9000w surge) inverter. I think I can fit four 6v's in an area that will work. The inverter has no charger or switch, but it's got a lot of juice. Anyway, the inverter is now not in the question stage. I'm looking to hard wire the inverter into a box by the shore power plug and plug it in (using the shore power cord and plug) when necessary. So...no switch necessary...Maybe later. But if I use 4 6's, what charging set and charger(s) up do you all recommend? I'll put a remote on the charger (or is it "chargers) and only turn it on when on shore power. And does it make sense to go 2 parallel and 2 series to get the 12v? And (I almost hate to ask this) but, what batteries do any of you like. I may have to use an enclosed space under the bed, but open to the basement (rear) storage for the batteries...it's not too far from the inverter site.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Wimberley , Texas
Mine is wired inline as Batwing described and catches a couple of plugs in the kitchen area, the front of the coach which supports the TV and electronics and a plug under the dash I use for the computer. It is wired to 4 house batteries and has a solar panel. It will power the MH 3 to 4 days if you manage the power well, you can run the generator an hour or so a day in the mornings when power useage is high useing blow dryers, coffee pots, electric water heaters, microwave and such. I got a coffee pot with an insulated carafe because the warmer would really drain the batteries. Good luck, an inverter is a great option when you don't have to use air conditioning.
Grumpycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Wimberley , Texas
It seemed like every time I used my MH one of the house batteries was bad. I don't believe any of them lasted more than a year. After years of problems with high dollar batteries I decided to get a set from Wal Mart for ease of exchanging them. They have been in there over three years without a problem. If you go six volt golf cart batteries Sams has them for a resonable price.
Grumpycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Food for Thought

Hey magwa, I saw the list of electronics you had listed in post 4. Electronic things like that will use power even when turned off. Be sure to unplug them or have a way to turn off / disconnect the inverter so the electronics don't kill batteries with a ghost draw when not in use.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

i stupidly plugged in a small electric heater into the inverter outlet because i am still new to the tech. suffice it to say it tripped it off as i tested the other inverter outlet and it is out as we have a total of 2 inverter outlets. where/how do you reset the inverter. i am in co. camping and would like the outlets to work. thanks if anyone has a rescue.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote