Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

sparks , Nevada
Considering 1994 Land Yacht 33 Motorhome, need advise

Hi! Need some advise. My hubby and I are considering purchasing a 1994 33' Land Yacht Motorhome. Engine runs strong with 89k miles (gas), and exterior is par for the course on almost 20 yr old rv. It has been undriven in rv park at least 2 yrs other than round the corner by current owner and by rv tech doing a mechanical inspection prior to the last purchase. Has been hooked up and on power and heat etc for all that time. But the interior leaves a bit to be desired. The vehicle was ransacked by the police and panels pulled loose floor moldings missing, typical loose knobs. Furniture is in decent repair, original dinette, new couch, original barrel chair. Arms on captains chairs have some damage (plastic ends broken). And refrigerator is gone, currently has apartment size frig inside which is pretty much useless if you want to leave the parking lot. This is all we can tell from a parked inspection. My quesiton is... it worth the effort to fix up the interior? We would be using it for local camping for next 5 yrs till retirement where we hope to "go big" and full time it. Thanks for all your help in advance!
crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Air Forums.

Depends on the price???

How much time have you got to do the restore?? These type of projects suck up enormous amounts of time and money.

I think if you look around, you should be able to find long time loved units that older owners have lost their ability to use, and are priced to sell.

Then the money you "invest" will not be a complete loss.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

sparks , Nevada
They are asking $6K. The time to work on it is pretty much just Saturdays in amongst the rest of "life". And our current "skill level" is that we know how to use a power drill So it would be a completely buy a dummy book and learn as you go type experience. The only reason we are considering such an endeavor is the asking price.
crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Run, don't walk, away. Last year I sold my '94 LY diesel pusher in excellent condition with everything in it and all working for $18,000. Here's what it looked like:
1994 Airstream Land Yacht Class A Diesel Pusher
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Agree with blkmagikca. $6K for a ransacked 1994 gas 33' LY that hasn't been driven in 2 years is WAY too much. I paid $2000 for my 1992 36' LY that had some water damage on two walls due to a roof leak. If you don't have a lot of time and a lot of skills then this is not the project for you.

Now with that said, pictures may help as well. A more detailed inspection may show other issues that need to be addressed. Generator? LP systems? AC systems? Heaters? Brakes? Transmission? Lots to consider.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
That seems like alot to me. But If you like it and want the challenge go for it. I paid 8500 for mine check the pics out.