Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Milford , Massachusetts
2006 LY ???’s

Hello all,

I’m looking at what appears to be a nicely taken care of… slightly modified interior, 2006 LY 30 with about 65,000 on the odometer. Has had some recent repairs on a leak, new vinyl on the floor amd new tires and brakes.

An issue I have is this unit is 1000 miles away from me. I do plan on having it looked over by a pro.

Question I have is there anything I should be concerned with for the year of this LW? Any known issues? Is there a problem with the 8.1 and 65,000 miles?

Thanks… appreciate any help!
Crossfaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Just make sure that the roof is in good shape with no leaks. Beyond that it's a piece of cake. Check all of the systems to make sure they're in good working order. You might want to verify that the engine and transmission are in good working order.

What chassis and engine?
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I have a 2005 30' SO with only about 22,000 miles and we just did a lot of upgrades and some repairs. The repair segment included a new coach a/c compressor, several new front end components, upgraded front springs, Sumo "springs" added to the back (a BIG improvement), upgraded charger to a 3 stage, and more. If you have access to a truck repair shop, preferably one that does Workhorse service, you can have them do a PPI. We have the 4 speed GM tranny, I think some of them had the Allison. The driveshaft parking brake has been an issue for some people but mine has been (fingers crossed) 100%.
It has been a great rv though. The slightly reduced size and more aerodynamic design are great improvements over the more traditional bus-style designs.
The PO also had a Banks system added to the engine, I routinely get ~10-12 mpg whether I am towing or not with great power.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

South Windsor , CT
On the Workhorse P32 Chassis one of the biggest wear area is the front suspension, especially the bell cranks and especially the driver's side. I'd check those carefully as it can cause the steering to be loose with a lot of wandering at highway speeds.

Also the front suspension has airbags within the coil springs. Check them to make sure they hold air. If there are no air bags it is possible that they were replaced with a proper aftermarket spring so ask the seller about that.

Both of the above can be corrected pretty easily with aftermarket parts like SuperSteer bell cranks but it is better to check them before buying because of cost.

The leveling system may be manual or automatic. Either way make sure it's operational as that's another costly item to fix.

These RVs are painted on the exterior so make sure the clear coat is not peeling or flaking in any area. Also make sure the fiberglass if not delaminating anyplace on the body, especially in the area where the leak was repaired.

Also check the windshield for cracks or chips. Chips can typically be repaired but a new windshield is I think in the $4K range for one side.

All of the windows except the windshield and driver's door are double pane. It's somewhat common for the seal between the panes to fail and to get condensation between the the panes. Once dried that can leave the windows looking foggy or dirty from the inside. Don't mistake that for the windows just being dirty on the outside. It's not a trivial repair to clean and reseal the windows. Not a deal breaker either, I think it's more of a matter of what you can tolerate.

Other than that all of RV systems are pretty standard and should be checked as best as possible.

Lastly, in my opinion 65K is on the higher side as compared to a lot of 2003-2006 LYs that I have seen advertised. I'm not saying it is a problem but these engines can work pretty hard at times. I'd say 15-30K units might be more typical to find. My point is take the mileage into account in terms of price. There's probably nothing wrong but I don't think I'd pay a premium for this particular unit as you may find something with half the miles if you keep looking.
vintage6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Castro Valley , California
Agree with vintage6t: when I bought mine, the previous, first owner had installed the SuperSteer bell cranks. I added several replacement steering components, and they are still available.
The other "biggie" that vintage6t mentions are those dual pane windows: ours were badly fogged in between the panes and we had the glass on all of them replaced, had outsource that work to a specialty shop. I also replaced the headlights, they were too fogged to polish out.
When we did the charger upgrade I also installed AGM batteries. We don't boondock so I backed off from lithium but the older single stage was not nice to the conventional batteries, it blew the top off a battery in the middle of a trip!
also all the "little things" that a >15 YO vehicle will need for maintenance: radiator hoses, fluids, etc.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

South Windsor , CT
TerraYacht also makes a good point regarding the converter. I'd ask the seller if the converter has been replaced yet.

Even if the original single stage is still working plan on upgrading it to a more modern three stage like TerraYacht suggests. That's a relatively cheap and easy upgrade with a lot of benefits in terms of battery life and maintenance. There are many options but something like a Boondocker 60 amp would be appropriate.

That also brings up another question for the seller. How old are the coach and chassis batteries? That's three batteries all together, one for the engine/chassis and two for the 12 volt coach accessories like lights, appliances and so on.
vintage6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Might also verify that the generator starts, runs and produces power.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:07 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
San Jose , California
I am not sure if I understood you post but are you wanting to sell you land yacht ?
wazoo111 is offline   Reply With Quote