Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
gitano

1997 33' Land Yacht
Livingston , Texas
TJN-2 Solar Volt Meter

My 1997 Land Yacht 33 has a panel labeled Solar Volt Meter with a model number TJN-2. It has two columns of red LEDs with voltage labels from 11 to 15.5, and one yellow LED labeled "Battery Solar Charging Status". It appears to read the voltage somewhere in the 12v system, but not necessarily the output of the 5 Watt solar panel. There are two sets of leads on the back of the panel. One is labeled as going to a battery, and I think I have identified those leads at the battery. The other leads are identified as connecting to the solar panel. these disappear into the wall. An internet search does not produce any information about this panel. Any info about this panel would be greatly appreciated.
glistok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

1998 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Yucaipa , California
TJN-2 Solar Volt Meter Charging Status

I have this same meter and want to know more about the solar system... i have a battery drain problem and would like to check this system to see if perhaps it is draining my batteries instead of charging... if you find out about where the wires go and perhaps a wiring diagram... I would appreciate the information Thanks
Gil
gturnquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A 5 watt panel will, at best, give you less than 0.4amps to your battery on a good day. Any decent plug-in trickle charger gives you close to an amp as a maintenance charge.

Just so you know what you're dealing with.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

1998 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Yucaipa , California
So how do I go about finding out where the actual Converter is located? Are their any solar wiring diagrams? Did not get any help from AirStream... wanting to check out this system to determine if it is causing my batteries to drain rather than charge... any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated...
Gil
gturnquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Search the cutter site. I think it's under the bed.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Those 5 watt solar panels might have been a hot item in 1997 but they are so inferior to whats available now days. Looking to upgrade mine to 100watt panel soon.

For those looking for the power converter on a Landyacht...its behind the carpeted panel in front of passenger seat. Cutters are under the bed and some are in compartment next to the batteries on the exterior.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Land Yacht solar panel

Is it possible to remove the 5 volt solar panel and replace it with a 40 or 50 or 100 watt panel without doing any other upgrades???
Old 03-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I spent a few hours with RV Solar in Ft. Lauderdale asking that same question. Short answer is YES....provided wiring is in good shape and converter has been updated.

They had me check wire gage at the meter which is next to sofa and confirm the upgraded size type of converter/charger I installed last year. They said a 100 watt panel would not need much more to change other than how its to be physically attached to the roof.

Btw...I just survived 22 days dry camping in Key West but had to use my propane generator at least two hours per day to keep coach batteries charged. If I go back next winter, will get the largest solar panels I can install plus add a wind turbine. Being that close to the ocean, we had sustained winds of 20-30kts for over two weeks. Two RV'ers had wind turbines that ran constant day and night. At one point the owner of the larger turbine could feel it rocking his 5th wheel so he had to slow the propeller down to keep from lifting off!!

Down there quite hours start at 11pm so we could hear him and wife go through a checklist just before 11pm each night which involved a walkaround and these last words before they closed the door. CONTACT.......READY......GO!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Thanks so much for thst info
I. Don't boondock often, but when I do I hate low batteries and I would rather nit have to run the generator, I do enjoy peace and quiet lol
I will be looking into the the larger panel.
Thanks again
Howad
Old 04-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
Fort Collins , Colorado
I'm a new owner of a Land Yacht, so this is all new to me… It seems the 5 W solar panel is connected to the engine battery. My thought would be to upgrade to a slightly larger new panel for the engine battery keeping the existing wiring and hardware for that system. Then install a separate 100+W system for the house batteries. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions on their solar upgrades?
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Helena , Ohio
AirstreamTrailerParts.com has TJN-2 volt meters in their store.