Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Window latches

Hello,
I'm having increasing trouble with the window latches on our 1984 310. Once the window is closed, it is nearly impossible to release the latch and open the window. It appears that the latch mechanism is 'hanging up' and will not release. This happens with the cockpit windows and the living room windows.

It is not simply a case of the window being jammed. If I remove the inside handle (and portion of the latch) the window operates fine. On one window I have replaced the handle and inside portion of the latch with a simple handle.

I've had the latches off and there is a lot of movement in the parts but I'm not sure what movement is OK and what isn't.

I'd happily disable the latches if I could. I wouldn't be concerned about the latches for security since I could use dowels in the tracks.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
Hello,
I'm having increasing trouble with the window latches on our 1984 310. Once the window is closed, it is nearly impossible to release the latch and open the window. It appears that the latch mechanism is 'hanging up' and will not release. This happens with the cockpit windows and the living room windows.

It is not simply a case of the window being jammed. If I remove the inside handle (and portion of the latch) the window operates fine. On one window I have replaced the handle and inside portion of the latch with a simple handle.

I've had the latches off and there is a lot of movement in the parts but I'm not sure what movement is OK and what isn't.

I'd happily disable the latches if I could. I wouldn't be concerned about the latches for security since I could use dowels in the tracks.
Those window latches, can become testy, especially the older they get.

By your description, it sounds like wear has taken it's toll.

That wear can be taken care of by adjusting as necessary, which is usually by trial and error.

Sometimes older gaskets contribute that the problem as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Those window latches, can become testy, especially the older they get.

By your description, it sounds like wear has taken it's toll.

That wear can be taken care of by adjusting as necessary, which is usually by trial and error.

Sometimes older gaskets contribute that the problem as well.

Andy
Interesting, I haven't noticed any adjustments on the latches. How is this done?

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 11-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Interesting, I haven't noticed any adjustments on the latches. How is this done?
Look for the slop in the movement, and try to take that out.

Andy
Old 11-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The idea is to see where the slop is, and try to minimize it.

I will tell you that if the schlegal channel at the bottom of the window is original, that is more than likely the problem.

Put a little temporary shim at the bottom of the slider, and see if that takes care of the problem. The idea is to lift the window a little higher in the channel.

Andy
Old 11-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I'd like to know how to adjust them too. I have had a service technician tighten them and another loosen them, so I am not sure how tight they should close either.

Also Andy, my husband would like to change the quarter turn fasteners on the window protectors or rock guards on the Airstream. Is there any particular substitute that you have employed?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The idea is to see where the slop is, and try to minimize it.

I will tell you that if the schlegal channel at the bottom of the window is original, that is more than likely the problem.

Put a little temporary shim at the bottom of the slider, and see if that takes care of the problem. The idea is to lift the window a little higher in the channel.

Andy
Andy,

If I understand you, you are saying that the problem is caused by the window sitting too low in the channel?

I have replaced the schlegal channel in the cockpit windows with materials I purchased from you.

I also had someone work on the windows in the living room. As I'm sure you know the gray plastic runners are NLA but mine are still in pretty good shape.

This shim you suggest, does it go on the window or fit in the bottom of the channel?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

If I understand you, you are saying that the problem is caused by the window sitting too low in the channel?

I have replaced the schlegal channel in the cockpit windows with materials I purchased from you.

I also had someone work on the windows in the living room. As I'm sure you know the gray plastic runners are NLA but mine are still in pretty good shape.

This shim you suggest, does it go on the window or fit in the bottom of the channel?
Bottom of the channel.

Andy
Old 12-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I've put up with the co-pilot side creeping open just enough to add an annoying wind noise to the cockpit for some time. My latch on that side is also sloppy in its connection to the fixed side. I can latch it but then must fish inside the latch to pop it open for fresh air when required.

I too have updated schlegle channel from Inland.

In fact just Sunday afternoon I bought a length of dowel to put at the bottom of the window track to stop the creep.

Interesting timing of this thread.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
tough windows

Have some of the samme troubles on my 89 345. The worst is behind the driver seat. If you depress the lock mechanism and try to slide to the closed position,it will realign the lock and open easily. I have also taken the lock off the window with the two screws facing you. My locks have a piece of electrical tape keeping the locking meckanism in place which seems to help with the workability. Think I might try to shim up the tracks, sounds like a good idea.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I have two side windows that have resisted all efforts to open...I'll remove the latch and go to the dowel system, for now...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
I have two side windows that have resisted all efforts to open...I'll remove the latch and go to the dowel system, for now...m
Try pushing in the release and prying down and forward on the catch from the top of the latch. Mine will hang up and if I really want it closed I can lock it up that way though in reverse.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Thanks, Glen...I have tried every which way but a hammer...won't go there with glass.
Just want some circulationj when it gets warm...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Hello,
Once the window is closed, it is nearly impossible to release the latch and open the window. It appears that the latch mechanism is 'hanging up' and will not release.
guy99- Same problem with our 90 345 cockpit window. The easiest way I now have to open mine is I keep one of those 'pocket' size screwdrivers in the pocket next to drivers seat. Then whenever I need to open window I assist the round dowel out of its locking channel simply by pushing down on it. Like yours, I'm guessing it's worn out.

The first time I realized why it wouldn't open I had to press my face against the glass while operating the handle to actually see what was hanging up but I now have a feel for it, it's easy to open and still securly locks when closed.

I found this out right after an A/S Dealer said he had 'fixed' the latch, we pulled up to a interstate toll booth to pay and the window would not open and by the time I realized I wasn't getting it open 2-3 cars behind us are now honking horns. I don't really know if those attendents are permitted to exit their booths or not but this one paid no attention to our signaling for her to walk over to passenger side window which is wide open. So the wife decides to get out and go pay except the lane we are in is lined with those freeway concrete dividers only allowing the MH's exit door to open enough for her to wiggle out then jump off the divider. Not until we paid did the attendent raise the gate arm then I could pull forward and open the door all the way. You know, I'm laughing as I'm writing this but at the time it was anything but funny.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote