Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
New 3 stage converter install

I am installing a new comverter in my 83 310 and am wondering about the "power on indicator circuit" black wire coming out of the original converter. I am assuming that circuit goes to the control panel ac light. Is that correct? For those of you who have installed a new converter, did you abandon that circuit or is there a means of feeding that circuit with a jumper. I dont like to assume ANYTHING when it comes to electricity, been bit too many times. Other than that, the way i see the installation is just getting a few feet of properly sized wire and install where the original hard wired red and white feed the 12volt panel from the new converter + and - terminals....correct? Thanks all.

I did do a search and couldnt find much info. I went to the "forums" and searched under the electrical section. Is that the correct method of searching the site for questions like this?
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It has been covered a lot, but sometimes things like that are hard to find using the search function.

Long and short of it: just leave the wire disconnected and use a little neon indicator night light plugged into an outlet somewhere to indicate "power on". There are ways to make it work if you are really interested in originality, but in general it is an unnecessary light to begin with.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks much idroba, i figured it had been covered a good deal but dog gone if i could find much. I dont think im using the search function correctly or something. I hate asking questions when i am pretty sure the subject has been covered forever.i suppose ill get it eventually. Thanks for your patience and info.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have trouble finding stuff with the search function also, so don't be too concerned. Often a sub topic turns up within another different topic (you know how threads drift) and stuff does get lost. Sometimes I know I have even posted something, and can't find it. One problem is what to search for: Univolt light? Power on light? Replacing Univolt? Sometimes things are in a specific trailer topic like "power problems in a '73 Argosy 20 foot" and you are searching in electrical. Sometimes Google finds topics better than the Fourm search. So, you are not alone.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote