Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Lowest milage classic out there

Hey all,
I m having a beast of a time getting around this site.
I ll try this again.
I think I got the lowest milage classic out here. I bought as an estate sale.
5420 miles on a 1985 325. Tons of work done, a little more to do. We hope to have this unit fully armed and operational this summer.
I had no intention of keeping this thing, but I m starting to really like it. I got a freind who is a really excellent carpenter, he s making me new upper cabinets to replace those plastic ....things... They look factory. I m a steel guy. Wood takes an artist. Lee is an artist.
You name it, I ve worked on it. Anything hoseish,fuelish caulk ish engine stuff exhaust stuff , brakes, I ve replaced it. I m into the airbags presently. I cannot get them, cause I can t get at them. My hands can t get at the top bolts, any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is getting a 90 degree air ratchet with a deep 9/16 socket. That s my next line of attack. I don t think I can go thru the floor. The shower is right above the crossmember I think. So I m kinda stuck.
Let's see if this winds up in the forum. Thanks for any help.
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Welcome to the asylum and all the Classic nuts within.

Great bunch of people here that will help you when help is asked for.

As you have probably found out by now, reading your post, that low miles doesn't mean you don't have to fix anything. These queens of the road were meant to be driven, and even mine takes a few days on the road to settle in again.

Post some pics sometime.

As for the airbags, some suggest cutting the old bags and grinding the heads off the bolts from the bottom. As for putting them back in, well that's a whole different story but at least the bolts are fresh and not rusted. Remember to add airvalve and hoses before installing bag.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ome-66683.html

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Airbags

Hi tony ,
I thought about cutting them off. That may be my next recourse. Thanks .
As for the sickness, yes there is a strange draw to shines things. I think I m part crow. Old and shiny. We'll i ll try that. Getting them back in May be a challenge, but we ll cross that bridge when we need to.
As for low milage, 32 years old whether used or not still has stuff that dry rots, hoses, water brake fuel the three biggies for a fire or breakdown. Water pumps and fan belts are in that category. Tires of course. Gotta go, thanks for the tip. DJ
Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Albuquerque , New Mexico
out of curiosity, how do you know the mileage hasn't flipped over?

My odometer reads 23k, but I had assumed it to be 123k. However, when I changed the Tranny fluid, it had the original filter and gasket... at 123K?
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
OLD n SHINY

Just done my rear 345 airbags.I think yours is a 325? leave penetrating oil around the two top bolts for day or so, then worry them with a good fitting 9/16 BOX type Spanner,plus optional mallet,30 min you'll have them cracked.

Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Airbags

Thanks guys,
The bolts aren t frozen. The lowers are off, I got the inside top bolts off, it's the outside top one I can t get to. I can t get my hand in there to even feel where it is. No room. I m going to try a mirror to see if I can gey my socket on it that way. Plus, I'm not a kid anymore. It is a beast trying to contort my body to get at it.
As for rolling over the odometer, I pretty sure it's original . The original tires were on this thing when I got it. Dry rotted to the point, where you could put your little finger in the opening, you could see the wire in the sidewalks. I took off the intake, and valve covers. Absolutely spotless. And you could tell that engine had never been tampered with. You know how Chevys used cork on the ends of the intakes. And they always leak and get brittle. I don t know why they still did that in the 80s I ve been using silicone on the ends for 30 years now. Never had one leak or blow out. And cork valve cover gaskets? They re junk too. Ultra black silicone with the rubber gasket or no gasket at all. Zero leaks from the top of the engine.
We'll guys , thanks for the info. Gotta hit the rack.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
You don't need to get your hands in that top gap, 9 o'clock and at 3 o'clock across the center line off the bag are the bolts,your nose or spanner will be at 6 o'clock. A goose Neck Box Spanner will reach both bolts easy. NO EYES NO FINGERS NEEDED.I stressed about for months then read documentation put out by Airstream about using good box spanner and they were right 30min job to get both bags out.

Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Camera may be easier to use than mirror. Kind of depends on what you have experience using. Sometimes it is just a mater of fumbling with it enough to get some familiarity with the real estate. Good Luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
I have a 1991 350 LE with just 10,800 miles on it
I was concerned that it may be 108,000 miles considering the age BUT I found the invoice for the tire replacement in 2006 at 7,300 miles
I think this may be the lowest mileage of any surviving 1991 Classic
Old 12-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaValleyGuy View Post
I have a 1991 350 LE with just 10,800 miles on it
I was concerned that it may be 108,000 miles considering the age BUT I found the invoice for the tire replacement in 2006 at 7,300 miles
I think this may be the lowest mileage of any surviving 1991 Classic
If your odometer numbers are pretty even and roll over smoothly, you maybe right. It is pretty easy to undo the odometer cable and roll back thousands of miles using a drill.
However, having a low mileage coach can mean lots of issues due to lack of use too, like gummy and varnish in fuel systems; motors starting dry all the time, which knocks thousands of miles of a motor.
I'd take coach that was used regularly with miles over a coach not run in years with low mileage.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote