Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Fair price?

What is a fair price for a 310 TD in good condition w/ 85,000mi? We have a budget of 20-24K. The owners want 26k. Tires are new and the unit is clean and well maintained. My husband thinks 25k is on the high end. Any ideas??
Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forums. I have no real idea about motor homes and you didn't say the year, but I'm assuming 1980's some time. NADA only goes back to 1991 and doesn't specify diesels that I saw. My guess is that if it were a gasser your husband would be right, maybe. The Classics are more desirable though and the diesel pushes the price up considerably. You might try to see if there is a comp in the classifieds of this forum or on Airstream's corporate site; they have a classified section, too. Good luck.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Good luck and welcome to the club! We have a 1984 310 TD which we love and use regularly. We suggest that the year is important ... older than 1984 isn't good. Newer (up through about 1990) the price goes up per year, depending on condition. Look carefully for signs of water damage inside the shell. The engine is nearly indestructible ... the transmission also. Hvae the suspension elements checked by a competent and trusatworthy shop - these are prone to front end ball joint failure because of the weight of the diesel engine. Contact us if you would like further discussion.
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
The price could be fair depending on the condition of the unit. A 20 year old unit , even with low milage, will have required considerable maintenance. If it has been done and is documented, it is a big plus. Original manuals, Airstream and chassis are a plus.
Test everything and make sure it works and works as designed. Look for wiring alterations - snipped off wires and non- functioning switches. Find out if the dash A/C has been upgraded for the new freon. Check when the brakes were last serviced and if the rotors can take another resurfacing. Look for indications of componet leakage under the unit

Items that need attention should be considered in your offer. A classic diesel in very good condition is worth a premium price. The other side of the coin is that one in poor condition is a money black hole and a lot of unhappiness.

Good luck - Like the ad states, The Classic is the Airstream of Motorhomes
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Interest in the diesel MH's has picked up recently with the high gas prices and the interest in biodiesel. The units were fetching around $30k but that isn't currently the case. They have dropped into the mid to upper 20's. The 310 has always been a popular unit with it's length and rear bedroom and NO TAG AXLE. The rear bedroom options are popular with the rear twins being common and less desired. The rear queen, king, and facing sofas are always hot.

http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/floorplans.html and click on 1984 310

That unit does not have the upgraded awnings (road side and rear like some others). One the positive side, you won't find an owner that isn't impressed with the Isuzu diesel engine. There are many threads here about replacing Chevy 454 engines!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr
What is a fair price for a 310 TD in good condition w/ 85,000mi? We have a budget of 20-24K. The owners want 26k. Tires are new and the unit is clean and well maintained. My husband thinks 25k is on the high end. Any ideas??
We're all waiting with baited breath for your return on this post... Did you take a look at the unit? How did things turn out? What year is it?
Fuel prices are in freefall and that means that some of the buyers market will tighten up.... maybe.
If only AS had made a Funeral Coach with the Isuzu engine option! I'd be in hog heaven. The fuel economy is day and night different with the 454 big block.
Give us an update on what you saw.... an if you bought it how about some photos?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Well, we passed on the diesel. It was located in a remote area across country that would have been too difficult to reach. We also found out that the owner has cut away some of the interior to make it accessible for a wheelchair. The lift could be removed, but the panels were cut up on the inside.

In the meantime, we did check out a gasser. It was 2 days there and 2 days home to see it. I don't understand how people can list a unit as "great" when there are so many issues! It was not cleaned for showing. There were many fixes the owner was "going to get to". The brakes were soft, the engine weak and it rode like a lumber truck. At best, it needed a ring job, at worst there was a cracked cylinder head. There was a leak that wet the rear curtains caused by a dent/crease where the skin was torn and open holes where the top of the awning strut was torn away. I had asked many clear questions of the owner that would have saved us a trip had he been forthcoming about the condition. The price was just too high for a potential engine rebuild/brakes and body work.

Yep, we seem to kissing those toads. On the plus side, we learn about more to watch out for with each discovery. I envy those of you who have found your babies! We still look for ours and have found that the 290 is a very appealing size for us. Stay tuned....
Old 09-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm sorry that you are having such a hard start finding that just right MOHO. Just hang in there. We decided a little over two years ago to get an Airstream. First, for a very short period of time, we thought vintage then we decided new and planned for the rest of the time for the day when we would make that purchase. When we bought, we had, we thought, every accessory we thought we would need.

Patience pays off in the end. We are delighted with our new Airstream and when the right one comes along you will know it and be even more excited and happier for the wait.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-12-2006, 07:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Thanks for the encouragement MM.

This forum is truly remarkable and I know will make all the difference in our ability to choose the right classic moho at a fair price. There seem to be several loooooong ones out there, but I am just too to drive one. I get nervous when my husband "sightsees" while driving. If I share the work, we both get to enjoy the scenery! We looked at the 280 but the shower seemed just that much too small. The 310 is nice, but our parking space is tight. The 290 is jussssst right! (Goldielocks should have had such hard choices!) We'll keep you posted!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Do like we did and use this time to stock up on the things that you will need for your first camping trip. You'd be surprised by the things you will need. We decided on new because I have two left hands and they're all thumbs. I can hardly drive a nail straight much less replace a hotwater heater, furnace, or plumbing and the cost of hiring it out, well new seemed our most cost effective answer.

My wife didn't like any of the interior options but felt she could work with the mid-night sun so she bought all new linens. That wasn't cheap since we're talking queen size bed plus two bunk beds and new pillows for all three, plus throw pillows after all we are talking Airstreaming, not just camping . She bought melameme (?) plates in a coordinating pattern to go with the palm tree and safari linens, I found the flatware with the sea shell pattern, thank you. Then there was shatter proof glasses, a stainless steel grill, stainless steel cook ware, toaster (matches the Airstream you know)...in otherwords it was like furnishing a new home or sending a child off to college. Only, you will need such unglamerous things as sewer hoses and black tank chemicals . The hoses may or may not need to be replaced. Oh and don't forget to get a BIG box of the surgical type gloves for dealing with dumping the tanks (even the new hoses can leak at the connections ). And then there are the things you don't think of until you get it and try it out for the first time so it lessened the blow to spread out the cost of starting out.

We spread all of those purchases out over the two years while we waited for the 30' Safari to be introduced in the SE package. Alas that never came to fruition, so we went ahead and bought the LS package while the 30' was still available. The wait was worth it and we are even more happy because of the anticipation. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long to have your ideal Airstream as we did to get ours.

Good luck and make use of your time in the interim, it will fly by and you will have everything in place when you bring her home.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
I get it (Auretrvr), Golden retriever. My Virginia plate reads 1 AUBULT. There are many retired teachers on this forum, including this one.

I am sure that you will find the coach of your dreams, just make sure it is not of your nightmares. One of the best ways to learn is to hang out around here. I sure wished that I had a clue about this place a few years ago, but I am often accused of being clueless. What ever you buy, be sure to set aside funds for repairs that will only become obvious after you buy. Then there are always the chrome tailpipes that make it go faster.

But good luck to you.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote