Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Monterey , California
Dashboard switches '79 Airstream

Can't ID these green switches. (Except map switch, which works! Red step and door lights work fine too)
This is a 1979 Excella 24' with quite a few DC wiring issues. Another is no horn. Pulled the 15 amp fuse which was blown but horn does not work even after replacement.
Any help, much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DashSwitches.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	172044  
huberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by huberto View Post
Can't ID these green switches. (Except map switch, which works! Red step and door lights work fine too)
This is a 1979 Excella 24' with quite a few DC wiring issues. Another is no horn. Pulled the 15 amp fuse which was blown but horn does not work even after replacement.
Any help, much appreciated.
The trunk switch should be the outside storage compartments. The walkway switch should be the small lights that are just above the floor along the center aisle like night lights. The aux. is probably an extra for a custom application.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
They all work from the engine battery (at least those on my 310 did) so if you leave them on by accident, you can flatten the battery and have a no start situation. The green indicator lights help, but it is very easy to leave a switch on and not see the light.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I concur with what has been said.
Maybe the AUX is the Aux heater fan switch... which on later models is under the drivers side couch and uses engine coolant to heat the living area.
Mine looked like this in situ.

Like this out and refurbished.

Your horn issue.
FYI, on the chevy chassis, that horn fuse also supplies power to the 12v cigar lighter recepticles.
If the fuse did not blow when you replaced it, then whatever caused it to blow, is either fixed or maybe intermittent...

At the risk of sounding like a salesman... I suggest you spend a little cash, and buy a Powerprobe 3... and if you can swing it, a Powerprobe ECT2000..
Best electrical diagnostic tools i have ever seen and used, and essential as a wrench for your issues!

With the PP3, you can just walk around the MH(30' cable), and at the push of your thump supply power or ground to a componant or switch, or read if something has power or ground, or is shorted.

The ECT2000 allows you to trace wires, both open circuits and shorts.
As a testimonial, a combination of these two tools allowed me to find the dead short on my Horn circuit which turned out to be this wire on the drivers side 12v recepticle that was punctured with a trim screw!

Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Monterey , California
Thanks. I think I will invest in these tools. (Or else I am up the creek without a paddle.)
huberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I am electrically illiterate... I would never have found that short without them.
I put them on my christmas gift list and santa obliged....
In this case, I think "santa" was fishing for a trip to Yellowstone in 2013/14, and knew things needed to be up and running...
The PP3 and ECT2000 are about $100 each on Ebay, and just over $200 buys you both in a single box kit.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote