Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #1241
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412135189.304135.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	838.1 KB
ID:	223278Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412135210.993680.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	996.2 KB
ID:	223279
I pulled the carb today and took it apart. I found a couple of problems, made the fixes and reinstalled the carb. Runs good as usual just hope it passes smog this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #1242
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Next Trip

We are planning our next trip...to Yosemite!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yosemite.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	224464  
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #1243
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Dean, your MH looks better and better every time you post a pic.... you should be proud!

Did you find the oil leak on the genset?
Is it a Kohler?

Good luck with the Smog... dreading my day in front of the Test man...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #1244
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Beautiful rig Dean! Just one question....Is the exterior original? Mine doesn't have the burgundy pin stripes yours has or the grey paint work around the windows. Were they an option I wonder?

Just curious, as we in Ontario Canada (not Ontario California) had smog testing instituted in the mid 90's. Originally if the car was older than 20 years, it became exempt from e testing. The government has now done away with that exemption, so all cars post 1987 need to be tested for life. If you have a heavy duty diesel it needs to be electronically tested every year, for light duty diesels the e tester just looks at the exhaust for smog.

Does California have an eventual exemption time limit on smog testing?

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #1245
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Dean, your MH looks better and better every time you post a pic.... you should be proud!

Did you find the oil leak on the genset?
Is it a Kohler?

Good luck with the Smog... dreading my day in front of the Test man...

Hi Steve and thanks!

There is not much more I can do on the interior, but wish I could get the exterior in better shape. I would like to strip the roof and paint it with some white reflective paint. With the water shortage up north, I can't use any water to strip and clean the roof.

The genset is an Onan. I believe the oil leak came from a loose oil cap.

I finally passed the emissions test with flying colors. It was running rich (high CO) at 2500 rpm's. I pulled the Q-Jet apart and saw one of the primary metering rods was bent as well as the metering rod hanger. Since I'm the one that rebuilt the carb a year ago, it was me that bent the rod when I put the top back on. It ran good this last year, but of course it was running rich. I straightened out the hanger and the rod and I was very careful this time around in putting it back together. The test mechanic said he has rarely seen a 454 run so clean! That was good news because it also means that it's not burning too much oil!

Even though I like breathing clean air here in calif, getting this thing smogged is a pain! It took three trips into town which is $50 in gas each time! Second trip it passed, but the shop could not get the computer to accept the MH. The computer kept saying that the MH required an enhanced test which would have been correct if I registered it in the Bay Area. But the MH is registered up north at the ranch property and all worked two weeks earlier with the DMV computer. We thought it was some sort of address mixup all of a sudden, which of course wasn't making sense. I concluded that since it failed the smog two weeks earlier, it got flagged in the system as now requiring an enhanced test. So third trip into town was to go to a STAR rated smog station.

The enhanced test requires a dyno test, but large vehicles are exempt from that. Only other difference is a bit more visual inspection of the carb and vacuum hoses and of course an $80 fee instead of a $40 fee...someone is getting rich!

I really wish I could put a different carb on the MH, but no one makes a Q-Jet replacement and no other carb is legal in Calif. I have a pretty good understanding of the Q-Jet and if it is properly setup, it does work just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #1246
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413517688.041176.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	926.8 KB
ID:	224538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Beautiful rig Dean! Just one question....Is the exterior original? Mine doesn't have the burgundy pin stripes yours has or the grey paint work around the windows. Were they an option I wonder?

Just curious, as we in Ontario Canada (not Ontario California) had smog testing instituted in the mid 90's. Originally if the car was older than 20 years, it became exempt from e testing. The government has now done away with that exemption, so all cars post 1987 need to be tested for life. If you have a heavy duty diesel it needs to be electronically tested every year, for light duty diesels the e tester just looks at the exhaust for smog.

Does California have an eventual exemption time limit on smog testing?

Cheers
Tony

Thank you Tony!

The exterior is not the original. My MH is an '82 and it originally had the wood grain stripe. My dad had it redone with the '92-94 paint scheme. He loved telling folks the MH was a '92. I really like the '92 scheme myself. The attached pic was probably taken in the late '80s and that was my mother.

Calif used to have a rolling 20 year program meaning anything older than 20 years (or maybe 25) was exempt. The state did away with that some years back and know all vehicles newer than about '74 require smog checks, except for diesel vehicles older than something like '96(?). So yup, every two years, I have to have the MH smogged. As of a couple years ago, all smog stations in enhanced areas have to have a dyno as well.

So it means I have to keep all the emissions equipment on the MH and in good shape! My MH is the federal model so that really only means the air pump and the Q-Jet carb.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #1247
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Sorry to hear you went thru that silliness Dean.

I think I can answer the smog cutoff issue in detail because I researched it...

Up until model year 1974, there were requirements for emissions, but no Catalytic Converter was required.
In 1975 for passenger vehicles and light trucks they were required to have them, as well as a raft of other emissions equipment .
As a result, the rolling 25 year exemption stopped for vehicles from 1975 onward. It kinda makes sense to me... even tho I don't like it.

It is my understanding, that in CA you could take, say the emissions equipment from a 1990 Suburban, TBI fuel injection system, electronics, fuel evaporation system, and exhaust system as far as the catalytic converter, and bolt it to the MH... it would be inspected and approved by a Smog Referee, and once approved, it will be tested as a 1990 model year.

I think you are correct on the Diesel cutoff year Dean, no smog required. If you put say a 2005 Cummins 24v Diesel in it the smog test would reflect the running gear smog test... if that makes sense..

There is a good reason why I have 5 smog exempt vehicles!
Two from 1973, two from 1974, and a 1984 diesel Mercedes!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #1248
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I'm outfitting the MH for our 20 year anniversary which we will be spending in Yosemite...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413855348.108521.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	678.4 KB
ID:	224800Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413855373.068945.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	224801Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413855400.035757.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	654.1 KB
ID:	224802Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413855419.122929.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	743.0 KB
ID:	224803

Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #1249
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Pretty!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #1250
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Very Nyce.. I have been watching, admiring... well done... well done...

Oh.. and nice work on the AS too!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:48 AM   #1251
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
As Red Green says....."If they don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy".

Very sweet job Dean. Congrats on 20 years. My 20th is next year and I'm hoping for a cross country tour.

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #1252
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Are your design service available for hire? Spectacular! The glass of shiraz makes it.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #1253
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
Pretty!

Thanks Vycan!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #1254
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Very Nyce.. I have been watching, admiring... well done... well done...

Oh.. and nice work on the AS too!

Thanks for watching and admiring cwf!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #1255
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
As Red Green says....."If they don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy".

Very sweet job Dean. Congrats on 20 years. My 20th is next year and I'm hoping for a cross country tour.

Cheers
Tony

I guess I'm lucky...handsome and handy! LOL

Thanks Tony

Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #1256
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Are your design service available for hire? Spectacular! The glass of shiraz makes it.

Thanks. And thanks for not calling out my "cheap" bottle of Shiraz! LOL! The "two buck chuck" brands are all I can afford after owning an Airstream! I'm itching to do another Airstream motorhome project...I want to see if I'm more then just a one hit wonder!

Can't wait to see what you are going to do with your MH!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #1257
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I think I can do some of what you did... and realize there are things I just can't do anymore... Might as well go camping... =)

But, if the 'fever' ever bites, it will take lots of stitches and therapy..
Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #1258
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Well, here is some of my progress today...

MH has a driveshaft vibration at about 65mph. Not to bothersome since I usually drive between 55-60. I dropped the rear driveshaft section this morning to check the U Joints and the center bearing. All the U Joints feel good. Center bearing also feels good. I couldn't actually pull the rear driveshaft however. I can pull the slip joint out only about an inch and it won't come any further. Anyone know what the deal is here?

The only thing is see or feel is about a 16th of an inch movement in the parking brake hub/trans yoke. I'm wondering if that is enough to cause the vibration at 65mph? I will have to remove the parking brake at some point since I have a leak at the rear tranny seal.

When I drove into town a couple weeks back for the smog check, I noticed a slight brake noise under about 5-10 mph, so I took a look at the brake rotors and pads. Both sides of all rotors look good. It is almost impossible to see the pads, but I can see the pads a bit on the front...they look new! Only a few thousand miles since brake job! Crossing this one off the list.

I took the little portable BBQ out of the outside bin, disassembled and cleaned it. Fired it up to test. I know we can know BBQ the ween's and steak dinners!

I built my third gen-turi today. First one was with leftover 4" pipe. After Burning Man last year, I tossed out a lot of crap..just no place to store it all. The 4" gen-turi went to the dump as well. For Burning Man this year, I made a 2" gen-turi, it worked but I really felt a 3" was the way to go. I'll test it tomorrow. I really do need a gen-turi. I can't run the Onan genset for more then 10 minutes without exhaust setting off the CO detectors. Oh, I lined the bottom six inches with a piece of sheet metal I had sitting around. My 2" deformed a bit from the exhaust heat!

I put together one of those cargo carriers for the rear hitch. I know but please don't judge me too harshly! LOL I think it is going to be a bit better to not carry my portable generator and gas inside the MH this trip!

I also put a new carpet on the outside step. It amazes me how quickly I go through those.

I still have a long list of to-do's, but they are mostly small items.

In stead of posting this, I should be watching my home town team kick ass at the World Series...that would be the Giants of course! But, I find watching baseball on TV just isn't my thing and besides its just so much more enjoyable sitting in the captain's chair of the MH with a cocktail in hand and listening to Carole King on the stereo!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #1259
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413948529.152984.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	709.2 KB
ID:	224884Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413948555.692882.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	905.2 KB
ID:	224885Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413948581.276542.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	945.8 KB
ID:	224886

Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #1260
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The top photo.. is that a pillar block.??.. i wonder if that bearing is going..?

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome