Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
San Francisco , California
Cross Country Shakedown Cruise

Hello,

I bought a 1988 345 a couple of months ago. For the last month, I've had the mechanics:
* put on new tires
* install a banks exhaust system to upgrade the rusted out original
* change fluids, new spark plugs, check belts, etc. (now runs great)
* replace front airbags
* check brakes and lines, check fuel pump, filters and lines
* go through rest of major systems to ensure that everything works (generator, plumbing, heater, ACs, etc.)
* replace a cracked tag axle hub

In short, with the exception of the drivetrain AC, everything should be road safe and functional.

Now, the fun part. I'm flying out with my kindergartener and doing a week long road trip to bring it from Northern Alabama to our home in Northern California.

We plan on taking it slow (4-6 hour days) on I40 with anticipated stops around Memphis, OKC, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Sante Fe, Bakersfield and home.

Any advice:
* entertainment for a 6 year old
* max hours per day
* worthy excursions or places to stop (I won't have a tow vehicle)
* mechanical or motorhome considerations
* anything else?

Thanks!

Also, I've been advised to get AAA with premium RV service to cover towing in the event of breaking down.
nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Sounds like a fun trip

You will have cold nights. I would pick up an electric heater, if you plan on camping. Maybe sleeping bags

You could have the 6 year old navigate, maybe learn how to read maps.

Throw some rocks into the Mississippi? Grand Canyon? Bryce Canyon?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
The Family Motor Coach Association is worth looking into as well. We had a party member medivaced from Lake Powell this year. Helicopter to the medical center, then moved to a hospital near home. The vehicle (boat in this case) was cared for, and transportation for the spouse was covered (as I understand) too.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Do you think my functional propane heater will suffice?

Good idea on maps. I'll bring my old school paper road atlas.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Cross Country Shakedown Cruise

I'd drop down to I-10, warmer.
If the furnace works you should be fine.
Ditto on the navigator duties.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto about dropping down to I-10, especially if the weather further north is challenging. Here is a good thread on sights to see if you shift south:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...on-142111.html

My general advice is to be open to change.

Especially about the pace and route.

From Steinbeck's Travels with Charley:

"A journey is a person itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us."

This trip will be one of your child's preeminent memories of youth -- may it be a good one . . . and . . .

HAVE FUN !!!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Spend the first night at the dealer, making sure everything works and you are familiar with functions.

Ditto on I 10 and AAA RV. Perhaps spring for a longer tow allowance for your trip home, just in case.

Assuming you are going to be doing this drive soon, a more northern route could bring you into snow. You want to skip the snow.

A 6 year old cannot sit in the front seat, unless he is a really big 6 year old, so navigating may be difficult.

If you have an IPad, PocketEarth is an excellent app that allows exact pinpointing of your moving location, even offline. He would enjoy watching that and your progress.

An older atlas may have points of interest on the individual state maps, or you can pick up paper maps as you enter each state, which have these. Bring a highlighter to mark those along your route that you want to stop at.

He might find local history museums, old stagecoach routes/stops, wagon trails, etc., interesting, and you can pick up children's books at these that inform of the history of the area, what life was like for children, etc....keep him entertained while driving and educate his little self a bit.

Download one of those emergency info and contacts apps onto your phone, fill it out and be sure your son knows it is there....just in case.

Have a great time!

Maggie
Old 11-13-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Our kids' favorite memory of camping is card games. You may want to invest in a book of card games for kids. I also used to bring a bag of surprises for a long car ride; small games like tic, tax toe, cheap handheld games, coloring books, crackers and peanut butter etc - these were unique to them in their plugged in world��) I used to collect these small things as I went shopping a month or so before the trip. When things started to go downhill in the backseat, I'd hand back something from the bag and it kept us all going. It's going to be the small things that your child remembers i.e. Cooking hot dogs over an open fire, being outside late at night etc., hot chocolate with marshmallows etc., doing things with you. Have a great trip!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #9
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nums View Post
Hello,

I bought a 1988 345 a couple of months ago. For the last month, I've had the mechanics:
* put on new tires
* install a banks exhaust system to upgrade the rusted out original
* change fluids, new spark plugs, check belts, etc. (now runs great)
* replace front airbags
* check brakes and lines, check fuel pump, filters and lines
* go through rest of major systems to ensure that everything works (generator, plumbing, heater, ACs, etc.)
* replace a cracked tag axle hub

In short, with the exception of the drivetrain AC, everything should be road safe and functional.

Now, the fun part. I'm flying out with my kindergartener and doing a week long road trip to bring it from Northern Alabama to our home in Northern California.

We plan on taking it slow (4-6 hour days) on I40 with anticipated stops around Memphis, OKC, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Sante Fe, Bakersfield and home.

Any advice:
* entertainment for a 6 year old
* max hours per day
* worthy excursions or places to stop (I won't have a tow vehicle)
* mechanical or motorhome considerations
* anything else?

Thanks!

Also, I've been advised to get AAA with premium RV service to cover towing in the event of breaking down.
If I am home during your journey and you take the southern route, consider making Austin your pit stop. That may just be a welcomed and much needed stop for all three of you
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nums View Post
Do you think my functional propane heater will suffice?

Good idea on maps. I'll bring my old school paper road atlas.
You should be ok with your furnace. ( NOT A STAND ALONE PROPANE HEATER WHICH CAN BE DANGEROUS ) But I like back up, after a July 4rth night when it got down to 28 degrees in high country, only to find that my furnace was done.
I only mentioned it because you don't quite know the history of the furnace, and the condition of your lines. Although you do have the option of a motel.
Electric heaters are quiet, and can come in handy in a variety of situations.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Some sort of entertainment on an I Pad for those long hours of driving along.
Having him do some navigation will keep him into the trip.
If you go the southern route, a run up to Karlsbad caverns would be mind blowing for most 6 year olds. Or 60 year olds for that matter.

I hope you can find the time to work in some visits to points of interest along the way.

Should be a rememberable trip for both of you.

Congrats on your new coach. Post pics when you can.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Sounds like a blast! I am jealous. We are already getting cabin fever in Colorado and winter isn't even really started yet. We look longingly at our AS sitting across the road looking lonely and sad - ready for a road trip. Have a fun time
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
What a wonderful trip for you and your 6 year old.

Things to do while traveling:
- Navigation is a wonderful suggestion, both with paper atlases and with GPS enabled tools.
- Sight Seeing - which is built into watching road signs and helping to look for fuel stops, etc.
- A tablet, even a cheap 7" (like an Amazon Fire) version, will provide games and reading.
- Books. Actual paper books. No need for power as long as it's light out.

I think your 345 has two furnaces. Mine does anyway. If one fails then the other will be the back-up. Plus your roof AC units may have heat as well. It is not that efficient, but it can work.

A final recommendation - a camera. Both for you to record the trip, and for the 6 year old to use as well.

I know my son would have really enjoyed such a trip at that age. He was always a little mature for his age, so my recommendations may be a stretch. Then again, most 6 year olds are able to learn and do more than you think.

And a request - Please post a blog of the trip so we can all follow along.
Paul and Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Wow that sounds like one fun trip you have ahead of you , I would really like a fun trip like that especially at the pace your traveling .
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Since you are starting in N. Ala, why not check out the Space and Rocket Center in Hsv. They have an adjoining campground you could spend the first night to check out the Airstream and get familiar with everything. Mud Island is a neet park on the river at Memphis and the new Bass Pro in the Pyramid is nice and close by. Have a safe trip.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
minden , Nevada
Towing Insurance

I would highly recommend Good Sam Club for towing and other services. We have a friend who just recently returned from several months in Alaska who had a break down near Weed Calif on the way home approximate 500 mi. left to go (Cat diesel overheated & froze up) AAA wasn't much help (member for some time) wound up paying a tow truck big $$$ to tow his MH to a repair shop near his home in N.Nevada that had done work on MH prior to Alaska trip. Reason: was shop had cleaned and rebuilt radiator on which a small hose had come off due to a clamp not tightened down properly (was very loosely sliding around on hose, never tighten down causing overheating) A new engine was required repair, very costly trip to say the least. The salmon they brought home very pricey per pound!
appliancetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Austin , Texas
If the weather will allow it, take the I-40 route and visit the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest national parks. The latter has some great dinosaur replicas along with the petrified wood and is a much under-appreciated park. I-40 goes right through it. The Grand Canyon NP, south rim, is about 60-70 miles north of I-40, but well worth the effort.

I drove I-10 to LA (from Austin, Tx) and I-40 back home in October. The I-40 route has more things of interest to me. If you go I-10, Joshua Tree NP is on the way not long after you enter California. We drove through it in about 3-4 hours with several stops and found it interesting; scenic in a stark way and probably a good place to visit in winter. A six year-old, however, will prefer Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest.
tomterrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #18

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Pensacola Beach , Florida
Everage

It's so much fun traveling with a child! We are full timing with our (almost) 3 year old. We listen to a lot of audiobooks while we're driving. Consider downloading a series (Narnia for example) - you can play them through the car stereo. If your child has a favorite movie you can also play the audio through your sound system (usb, aux cable or Bluetooth with a tablet) that way you cut down on screen time. Other than that we go through a lot of coloring books/stickers etc.

There are websites and apps that locate the rest areas on your route. Plan ahead! Most stops have restrooms, picnic tables and grassed areas. That way if your child needs a break, you'll know exactly how far you have to travel until the next rest area. They are also great for pulling over to make lunch/snacks.

If you pass through Albuquerque (we were there 3 weeks ago) try to time your visit for the Wild West reenactment in Old Town. It's a lot of fun, Old Town has great food too, lots of Native American history and a rattlesnake museum. We took the cable car up the mountain, walked the trails in the petroglyph national park and visited the pueblo village. There is so much to do there!

I agree about purchasing an electric space heater - propane runs out really quickly if you rely solely on the furnace!

Enjoy!
Everage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
Since you are starting in N. Ala, why not check out the Space and Rocket Center in Hsv. They have an adjoining campground you could spend the first night to check out the Airstream and get familiar with everything. Mud Island is a neet park on the river at Memphis and the new Bass Pro in the Pyramid is nice and close by. Have a safe trip.
Great suggestion! However, I went to high school at Grissom in Huntsville. So, I'm very familiar. My little guy loved the Space and Rocket Center last time we visited Grandpa.

BTW, he's a very chill and thoughtful kindergartener ... the right disposition for a trip like this. However, I think he's going to be super excited as he loves motorhomes (3.5 week trip to Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce & Yosemite last year in a rented trailer) and has no idea what I bought or even that we are going. Full surprise!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Sacramento , California
Wait, this is what I am doing! I posted a similar questions and got great answers. Funny that you are just 90 miles past me. I was going to travel next week but decided to wait until Spring for the longer days and hopefully better weather. Please document your trip here so we can follow your progress.
Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote