Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1996 Airstream 36’ Classic

Hi Folks,
My Airstream motor home search has to come to a conclusion. I bought an immaculate 96 gas Airstream Moho from a fellow in Detroit. His name is Joe Girard (check out joegirard.com). The thing is perfect. Kept it indoors really looked after it and a nice guy to boot. Tells me it is the very last aluminum Airstream every made. The last one off the line. Not that it makes much difference to me, but I will have to check that out.
Now the fun starts. I flew to Detroit last Friday and jumped in it and drove it home to Calgary Ab. I arrived home at 7 :30 pm Tuesday night. Never had one issue.
However my wife and I are going to leave on a 6 month trip come October and there are a couple of things I would like to change.
First and foremost are the TV’s. They are both analog and will not pick up a signal. They are both built in. I am wondering if there are any square TV’s left out there that will fit in the holes created by removing the old ones.
Any one have any experience or ideas?
I am sure this is the first of many posts.
Thanks in advance!
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Congrats on your find and acquisition.

Try to post some pictures at first opportunity.

An INTERNET search should give you the available TV shapes and sizes.

I went for a LG 22" for the Clipper, with the speakers on the bottom of unit.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hi Folks,
My Airstream motor home search has to come to a conclusion. I bought an immaculate 96 gas Airstream Moho from a fellow in Detroit. His name is Joe Girard (check out joegirard.com). The thing is perfect. Kept it indoors really looked after it and a nice guy to boot. Tells me it is the very last aluminum Airstream every made. The last one off the line. Not that it makes much difference to me, but I will have to check that out.
Now the fun starts. I flew to Detroit last Friday and jumped in it and drove it home to Calgary Ab. I arrived home at 7 :30 pm Tuesday night. Never had one issue.
However my wife and I are going to leave on a 6 month trip come October and there are a couple of things I would like to change.
First and foremost are the TV’s. They are both analog and will not pick up a signal. They are both built in. I am wondering if there are any square TV’s left out there that will fit in the holes created by removing the old ones.
I am sure this is the first of many posts.
Thanks in advance!
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hi Folks,
... They are both analog and will not pick up a signal. They are both built in. I am wondering if there are any square TV’s left out there that will fit in the holes created by removing the old ones.

Thanks in advance!
If you are going to use the same space, easiest to mount in front of where the old ones are, using same width or wider a couple of inches, build in shelves behind and all the connections will be close at hand.
If high definition and better color not your choice and you want to use the old sets, they will pull in stations with converter box between set and antenna.
Great choice of MH, congrats.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Congratulations on your new coach. I've seen the photos of that unit, and it is a beauty. Many happy miles!

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Here's a link to what I did:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ml#post1141975

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ml#post1147860

I removed the head banger in the bedroom and put a flat screen on the wall. It's on a quick connect mound so I can stick it up front when parked.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
FLAT SCREEN...we use Directv, and carry one of our two boxes with us when we travel...some places just won't have the directional clearance, so we got one with a built-in DVD player, for those nights a mindless, bookless night is called for...we gave the front tv away...never used it, but are now able to use the space where the cabinet used to be.
You can buy a wall-mount for the flat screen, or...well...we used heavy duty velcro, a plywood shelf, and short deck screws...has ridden on top of the street side rear closet(twin rear bunks) for 5 years...ran a cable hole up behind the fresh H2O tank, and the cable(50') is coiled and stored in the electric cable spool storage...same cable can be used for those luxury stays at a full hook-up park...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #7

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Congratulations! The old tv's in my '96 Cutter I bought last year still have a decent picture, so I figured out how to get a few more years out of them. I got 2 Zenith DTT-901 digital to analog converters (new) from eBay. These were the best converters made that I'm aware of. I also got a Winegard Wingman antenna upgrade, new handle & direction controls for the antenna, as well as some new rubber boots and upgraded the coax cable throughout. Now we can watch all the digital tv we want. This all came out to just over US$100. It works just fine for us as we don't watch much tv on our trips. But we like to see the news at night. We just don't watch enough tv to justify buying digital tv's. Enjoy your trip!
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
There are nav sets/rear view monitors built not one unit that you could mount in the top part of that space, leaving room for your shelf in the bottom section.

I think if you mount a small tv in that space it will be hard to see from anywhere but the front part of the living area.

Congrats on finding a very nice sounding unit.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote