Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Questions on the 20' Argosy

I am thinking about getting a 20 foot Argosy, for reasons that excapee me. I have owned a FMC, a 26 foot GMC, and presently own a 23 foot GMC. (also a Winnebago Spectrum). Want to take it on Weekend ski trips and hopefully can make it stay warm enough to do so. Now for the questions, I have searched a fair amount and visited Fred's site, but still need to ask a couple. If there is a link or two that has already answered these, pls feel free to reference it, and I will let me fingers do the walking.

Did the 20 come with both 350 and 454?

What is the LP capacity?

Any difference in water/gray/and black tank capacity by model, i.e. side or rear bath?

Fred's site lists the fuel capacity as 28,5 gals, could you get the 50 as an option or was space a problem?

Again according to Fred's site the 20 was made in 74,76-77, he doesn't list a 75, but someone on this forum says he has one. Is there a year that is more preferable, either from an Airstream perspective or a P30 chassis perspective? Reason for the question, in the GMC line the later 76-78 where preferable to the early 73-75, because of some redesigns and a lot of change orders had been implemented, with perhaps a 76 being the most desirerable. However on 30 year old motorhomes, how they have been cared for trumps the year made in some cases. Just wanted to know if in this year span anything of significance happened, on either the coach or the chassis.

Ride qualty, both GMC and FMCs have outstanding ride and handling qualities, but it doesn't come cheap. Need to keep on top of tires, alignment, shocks, bearings, air bags, etc. On a 20 foot properly aligned, with good shocks, good tires - properly inflated, it goes down the road?

like a bread truck,
decent but nothing to write home about,
smooth as a Lexus 450.

Assuming that it is on the order of a bread truck, I read aboutchassis mods such as air bags, steer safe etc. After those mods, what is the ride and handling like. Want to keep this specific a bit, to the 20 as longer wheelbases and overhangs will affect the above.

Thanks in advance for your help, and there is a ton of knowledge here, shared by civilized folks, not always the case.

chuck in Stillwater Mn
cadonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadonnelly

Again according to Fred's site the 20 was made in 74,76-77, he doesn't list a 75, but someone on this forum says he has one. Is there a year that is more preferable, either from an Airstream perspective or a P30 chassis perspective?
1) The 454 was an option that most took advantage of. The 350 is fairly rare.
Quote:
Again according to Fred's site the 20 was made in 74,76-77, he doesn't list a 75, but someone on this forum says he has one. Is there a year that is more preferable, either from an Airstream perspective or a P30 chassis perspective?
2) I think there are 20's from 1974 to 1979. My grid was made up from the examples I had at the time. I get e-mail notes to update it from time to time. I do have two examples from 1975 so I guess I can tell myself to update the chart. Also, the 1977-79 will have the air-ride suspension on the P-30. They would ride smoother than the 74-76 models. Look for the 4 headlights rather than the 2 healights. The front grill gives it away.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Fred, great site that have put together, lots of good information and the pics are easy to use, when the are put together by model.

Hopefully some of the other 20 owners will chime in, when the crawl from under their motorhome for air.

Thanks again.

Chuck
Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
I am thinking about getting a 20 foot Argosy, for reasons that excapee me. I have owned a FMC, a 26 foot GMC, and presently own a 23 foot GMC. (also a Winnebago Spectrum). Want to take it on Weekend ski trips and hopefully can make it stay warm enough to do so. Now for the questions, I have searched a fair amount and visited Fred's site, but still need to ask a couple. If there is a link or two that has already answered these, pls feel free to reference it, and I will let me fingers do the walking.

What is the LP capacity?

Any difference in water/gray/and black tank capacity by model, i.e. side or rear bath?

Fred's site lists the fuel capacity as 28,5 gals, could you get the 50 as an option or was space a problem?

Again according to Fred's site the 20 was made in 74,76-77, he doesn't list a 75, but someone on this forum says he has one. Is there a year that is more preferable, either from an Airstream perspective or a P30 chassis perspective? Reason for the question, in the GMC line the later 76-78 where preferable to the early 73-75, because of some redesigns and a lot of change orders had been implemented, with perhaps a 76 being the most desirerable. However on 30 year old motorhomes, how they have been cared for trumps the year made in some cases. Just wanted to know if in this year span anything of significance happened, on either the coach or the chassis.

Ride qualty, both GMC and FMCs have outstanding ride and handling qualities, but it doesn't come cheap. Need to keep on top of tires, alignment, shocks, bearings, air bags, etc. On a 20 foot properly aligned, with good shocks, good tires - properly inflated, it goes down the road?

like a bread truck,
decent but nothing to write home about,
smooth as a Lexus 450.

Assuming that it is on the order of a bread truck, I read aboutchassis mods such as air bags, steer safe etc. After those mods, what is the ride and handling like. Want to keep this specific a bit, to the 20 as longer wheelbases and overhangs will affect the above.

Thanks in advance for your help, and there is a ton of knowledge here, shared by civilized folks, not always the case.

chuck in Stillwater Mn
My '77 fuel capacity is 50 gallons

454 V8 P30 Chevy chassis, (1 ton van)

Rebuilt the suspension, New shock, springs and Airbags. Rides like a 1 ton van, real nice!

Check it out
http://www.balrgn.com/Argosy/20/Argosy_20.htm
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, I had visited your site prior to my post and missed the 454. It was looking at your coach that really got me thinking about a weekender built around the 20 ft, no need for a toad.

How much LP is on board, what size (btu) is the furnace, and does it keep the coach warm. shouldn't be very hard to put in an auxillary heater run off engine heat, to keep everything toasty going down the road.

thanks again.

Chuck
Old 09-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Thanks, I had visited your site prior to my post and missed the 454. It was looking at your coach that really got me thinking about a weekender built around the 20 ft, no need for a toad.

How much LP is on board, what size (btu) is the furnace, and does it keep the coach warm. shouldn't be very hard to put in an auxillary heater run off engine heat, to keep everything toasty going down the road.

thanks again.

Chuck
it has a 50 lb propane tank. 22,000 BTU furnace, hears the camper real nice. We have been winter camping in it!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 04-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

There is a 75 Argosy 20 on ebay, and I am sorry but can't figure out how to post a link, not seeing the right icon.

If someone could post the link so others could go to it easily, would appreciate it, or tell me how to post and I will do same.

If anyone is familiar with this coach would like to hear from them, nice looking for a 75, 129,000 miles on a 350.

I also purchased on ebay the sales brochure for the 75 Argosy's 20, 24, and 26, with the specs, list prices etc. If anyone wants a copy, PM me your e- mail and I will scan one to you.

Thanks guys for any info on the 20.

Chuck
Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
There is a 75 Argosy 20 on ebay, and I am sorry but can't figure out how to post a link, not seeing the right icon.

If someone could post the link so others could go to it easily, would appreciate it, or tell me how to post and I will do same.

If anyone is familiar with this coach would like to hear from them, nice looking for a 75, 129,000 miles on a 350.

I also purchased on ebay the sales brochure for the 75 Argosy's 20, 24, and 26, with the specs, list prices etc. If anyone wants a copy, PM me your e- mail and I will scan one to you.

Thanks guys for any info on the 20.

Chuck
Here ya go!

eBay Motors: RARE AIRSTREAM ARGOSY 20 (item 330112895704 end time Apr-30-07 19:02:27 PDT)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Well heck, I got sniped badly on this auction. I know the software programs out there are legal, and probably necessary, but they sure take the fun out of bidding on ebay these days.

Last 10 seconds are what counts it seems like.

Oh well there will be another one.

Chuck

PS, thanks for posting the link