Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Argosy Windows 1976 28ft

Hello,
Argosy and Airstream brothers and sisters, I just purchased a 76 Argosy motor home. It was sold to me by a family who didn’t want it to go but are hoping I am able to restore it to its Argosy dream years. The windows and floor will need the full treatment. I am going to purchase my window needs from Inland RV. But would like to know if anyone can send me instructions on how to do the Argosy (Motor Home) windows, since they are all sliders but one in the rear. I need driver and passenger slider instructions also. I have a year’s amount of work to complete in two months. I will also need floor removal instructions and please pictures. I am ready to order marine grade plywood; window gaskets, I have my new rivet gun and ideas up the wazoo. Please help!
I will be taking pictures as I go work on with the project.
My wife is thinking I am going through a midlife crisis but I am 36 and want to make memories for wife and kids.
ardeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeleon View Post
Hello,
Argosy and Airstream brothers and sisters, I just purchased a 76 Argosy motor home. It was sold to me by a family who didn’t want it to go but are hoping I am able to restore it to its Argosy dream years. The windows and floor will need the full treatment. I am going to purchase my window needs from Inland RV. But would like to know if anyone can send me instructions on how to do the Argosy (Motor Home) windows, since they are all sliders but one in the rear. I need driver and passenger slider instructions also. I have a year’s amount of work to complete in two months. I will also need floor removal instructions and please pictures. I am ready to order marine grade plywood; window gaskets, I have my new rivet gun and ideas up the wazoo. Please help!
I will be taking pictures as I go work on with the project.
My wife is thinking I am going through a midlife crisis but I am 36 and want to make memories for wife and kids.
We provide step by step verbal instructions for changing the window gaskets on the motorhomes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Thank you Andy I will call today because my wife gave me the okay to buy and my spending limit (lol). Funny that I need permission but I wouldnt want to get kick out the house and live in the Argosy, unless she with me.
Thank you
Again
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
One thing I have not been able to source for the side slider window repairs is the plastic bottom track. I've searched Inland RVs website and didn't find them.

If anyone knows of a source for these plastic bottom tracks I'd sure like to hear about it.

Good luck with your window seal repairs, I'm going to be doing ours this summer.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Brad,

Give them a call. Remember, the website only has their sale products.

Best to you and Susan!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Thank you for your replies

Hello
I would like to say thank you to those who replied and for those who will thank you. My wife told me to use my credit card for the purchase and it will be a big one for inland.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
1974 24' Argosy 24
Manningtree , essex
Send a message via Skype™ to fozzies
We too are restoring an Argosy moho, a 1974 24 footer. We have just got to floor repair stage, after a complete strip down. You can only change the floor sections once the inner wall panels have been removed, because they are screwed and bolted through the lower wall channel into the chassis frame. The rear section is made in one piece and has to be cut in half to get it out. I found the only way to get them out cleanly was to use a hole cutter that fitted over the rivets (without the centre drill if you use a starret type) and cut through the ply. The rivets are really hard, and can be cut away with a hacksaw when the ply has gone. I was careful to keep as much of the original floor intact so it can still be used as a template. Before I replace it I am going to weld in a new section of 2x1 steel box down the centre line so I can fix the two halves of the rear floor back in. This is because we have removed the generator (not needed here) and are making up that area, the floor was rotten under the water tank and pump due to leaks, so the water tank will now be relocated underneath. It is a mega job to fit new floors, I hope you have good luck with your moho rebuild and I haven't put you off. We will post some photos of our job if we figure out how to do it!
fozzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Hello Fozzies,
Wow it sounds like you are knee deep in Argosy. How long did it take you to get this far and I hope you post pictures. I just bought my Argosy and would like to fix the floor and windows before it maiden voyage. I was hoping to fix only the areas that were in the cockpit (drivers and passenger’s side) and all the way up to the refrigerator. I would skip the area were the kitchen is and the refrigerator but then go to the next compartment and that’s a sliding bed and cabinet’s. After that it’s the bath room and if it looks okay then I wouldn’t touch. I am afraid that once I start one thing I will see more and have to do more. My wife will kill me if it’s like that. I am clearing out my garage so I can remove items from the RV and place them in order in there. Can I ask you a question? How it is over were you are at? It looks beautiful! I would like to visit with my motor home in the future. How did you get your airstream if I may ask? Going back to the floor I will do it in sections that way I won’t be overwhelmed by the complete project. The rivets on the floor I think are called elevator bolts. With the tool I showed you in the link it can be cut off easily. But you will need to replace them. Are you a good welder? Is it hard?

The link I have attached is a tool that I bought to help me and I think might help you with your mission.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=6300-02L
Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
I'm needing to re-seat the side windows in my 1975 Airstream Argosy motorhome. They are no longer able to slide open and there are some gaps along the perimeter. I'm not sure what seals/gaskets/slides I need for this job. The glass is all intact but the seals are shot. Can anyone advise?
Kathleen
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault View Post
I'm needing to re-seat the side windows in my 1975 Airstream Argosy motorhome. They are no longer able to slide open and there are some gaps along the perimeter. I'm not sure what seals/gaskets/slides I need for this job. The glass is all intact but the seals are shot. Can anyone advise?
Kathleen
There are 3 different gaskets that you need, plus some adhesive.

Andy
Old 05-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
There are 3 different gaskets that you need, plus some adhesive.

Andy
Andy, do you carry the plastic bottom track as well? I haven't actually checked our Argosy motorhome to see if it has the plastic but I do know our 1984 310 has plastic guides on the bottom of the windows that has deterorated badly.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Andy, do you carry the plastic bottom track as well? I haven't actually checked our Argosy motorhome to see if it has the plastic but I do know our 1984 310 has plastic guides on the bottom of the windows that has deterorated badly.

Brad
Brad.

Airstrean says:

Quote:
The plastic slides for the motorhome windows, have not been available for over 20 years.

Using the schlegal fuzzy channel replaces the plastc guides.

CAUTION They will not vouch for any schlegal channel working correctly, except the one that they have.
A list of the number of tall and short side windows, should be provided to the dealer. The rear window and driver and passenger window information, is not needed.

Don't forget the access compartments, the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, and especially the entrance door gasket.

Andy
Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Hello,
Thanks every one who has put information in this thread. I hope we can continue to add to this thread with pictures and comments.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Talking

Hello,
Here are some pictures of my Bad Wolf! I started on the passenger side front floor because it felt very weak. I broke two bolts supporting the passenger seat plate and removed another one. I have on e left and that one I have to cut. I so far placed an order for red and amber clearance lights. I was about to call Andy on the gaskets and my wife fainted when I told her what the price might be. After she woke up in the hospital I ask her if I can order them and she said wait a week or two. I said why and she said sand the caps and put up the lights first. She did say I can remove the front wood floor where the driver and passenger site. I think she wants me to buy captain's chairs but I am stressing for the gaskets. My gasket order if I calculated is over 600.00. So I guess I would have to wait for 2 weeks and hope they only take a full weekend to replace all of them.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Bad Wolf

My work in progress. I call her Bad Wolf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 027.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	80148   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 029.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	80149  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 004.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	80150   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 002.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	80151  

Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
The windows are in need of some TLC and so is the floor. I will do windows all at once and the floor in sections. The previous owner who is wonderful was into animals. That is why the animal prints. I would like to replace all exterior lights with LED (ordered) new head lights, porch light, door light (looking into led) and then the interior lights. I am trying to figure out one TV or two with surround sound and game system. Has anyone called Maaco (a quick paint over shop) for an estimate? I sent an email asking if I prep the Bad Wolf will they be able to paint it. Also the 3 skylights and a low ac unit vary low. Besides the TV I would like to have a cd hd radio in the front so I can listen to my Dean Martin and Rat pack music. The floor in front looks bad but as I walk through it seems okay but only a demolishing will say the truth. I need to get her ready for the end of June. I just want the windows and floor done and then the others stuff by next summer.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
waldron , Indiana
hello i got a 28ft argosy and put new window channel which i purchased from inland i can give you step by step on how to install plus how many feet you need if still in wonder let me no as id be glad to help inland is your supply headquators !
rv-n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, window