Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180130_141944.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	304996the rear bathroom end cap dilemma..
Sdmezurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
We are having the frame and subfloor inspected currently. We are removing all propane lines. We will be leaving the bath in the rear, as much as we would like to relocate it, it will stay. Trying to decide if we want to reuse the original bathroom parts or, reconfigure from the end cap down, Making a new vanity for the sink and toilet and new shower pan. We are also thinking about putting a dinette/ fold down bed up from where the gaucho sofa was. Keeping the kitchen sink on the roadside, using an electric stove top and microwave. Keeping the fridge on the curb side. Removing the twin beds and installing a full size bed with a wall unit across ,that would include storage for clothes and such . We are thinking g we would like a more open area and def lighter in color!
Originally we were considering a composting toilet, but have decided to ditch that and buy a new.light.weight rv toilet. We also would.like to install an on demand elec hot water tank/heater.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Many vintage Airstream enthusiasts post descriptions and photos of their renovation project. I see you have now uploaded some photos. Many of these renovation/restoration threads are located in the Airstream Trailer Knowledge Base section of these Forums just like yours and mine are. These Forums are located almost at the bottom of the Forums page. You could use the link to my thread and look at the "path" to it. It is in the Overlander model Forum, and then by year.

You have big plans for your Overlander. Maybe you have looked at the floor plans in the Airstream Inc, Service then archives. You will see the "double bed" model is actually another gaucho that folds down into a smallish double bed and then jack knifes back up into a couch during the day. This provides easy access to the rear bath and a good place for a nap. There is a true double bed layout too. I like the twin bed models better, although they don't have as much interior storage. Here is a link to the 1970 Overlander archive documents.

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...4febdf7c99.pdf

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Hello David!
Thank you for the help about posting.
We have toyed around with different layouts for the size and what we actually need. Occasionally we will have at least 2 grandkids with us for summer camping . We looked into possibly using a bunk bed over a twin, moving the original front gaucho to the center as a day bed type set up, or a full time full size bed. I like the twin beds, husband would prefer more room and an open feel throughout. After the flooring is replaced, we will decide what to do with the rear bath then move forward from there. Have a good night. Dawn
Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The bunk "berths" like an old passenger train car is one idea. You could "bunk down" the grand kids, close the door, and enjoy a couple of evening hours up front, Then tippy toe to bath/bed after they are zonked out.

My son wanted a "U" shaped dinette in his old Globetrotter 21'. He wanted a BIG bed to crash on, and a place for his daughters to sleep in the back "double" bed. He also likes to entertain camping friends in his trailer in the evening for card games and the like. The U dinette works well enough for him. The key is a good, strong adjustable pedestal for the table. See photo of what we built.

Me, I say heck with the dinette and I'll keep my front couch. It folds down into a reasonable bed. It is much more comfortable for evenings tapping on the laptop than any dinette I've ever experienced.

This is the fun of planning your Airstream. There are a multitude of ways to go with the interior designs. I'd have to say Airstream interior designers are very good at it.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1704 Floor New Dinette (Small).JPG
Views:	282
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	305083  
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 02-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
David,
You are awesome in the idea realm. I too am fine with the gaucho sofa at bedtime and the twins in the center... But without a table, except for the fold down one next to the sofa, it's hard to set dinner if need be inside. I love the Interior of the above photo. I wish we could keep ours original, but different minds ....
Dawn
Old 02-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Yep, dinner time becomes a bit of a hassle with the couch in front and the fold out table. I might add that Airstream has done this since shep was a pup. The former 66 Trade Wind was this way, my 75 Overlander is this way, and the wife's 86 Limited is this way (plus it has a dinette too.)

Airstream's idea was using folding chairs around the fold out table. Here are a couple of photos that show the 66 and the 75 (less chairs and table only half way folded out). The folding table covers two sitting positions on the couch, or three if they are grandkid sized.

Like you said, different minds have different ideas that work for them. Here on Air Forums we often say "your trailer, your rules". We all have different approaches to a problem, and seek ideas from Forum participants, but we don't criticize someone for going a different direction. Positive comments are the most welcome here on Air Forums.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1709 As found owners manual.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	305115   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Table Chairs 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	305116  

Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Like you said, different minds have different ideas that work for them. Here on Air Forums we often say "your trailer, your rules". We all have different approaches to a problem, and seek ideas from Forum participants, but we don't criticize someone for going a different direction. Positive comments are the most welcome here on Air Forums.
I love all the ideas and comments from the forums. What I meant was difference of opinions between what I want vs husband's ideas. Lol .
We have a set of teak folding chairs that would of worked great for the table. Our previous camper also had the stow away half table near the gaucho ...
Old 02-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Oh I see. Your family is the same as ours. Differences of opinion. In my house I get one vote, and the wife gets two votes. I try to know my place in life.

I think studying floor plans in the Airstream archives in the years around your model is a good way to get some ideas for the interior. You might consider visiting a dealer and walking through some different models and see how the new ones are done. I think a good dealer would be more than happy to show you around knowing full well you are not a potential customer.

All Airstreams are now built there in Jackson Center, Ohio. I've been to the factory there and had a great time. I had some body repair work done on our trailer. Jackson Center is about an hour north of Dayton. Just a small town with a big factory in it.

David
Old 02-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
The factory is a future planned trip for us. Fortunately, we do have the original dealer paperwork, appliance papers and the 1970 AS book that came with it. All the different configurations are Interesting. When we first got it, plans were to keep it original. So, I went to the flea market and found glassware, dinnerware and nicknacks and put them aside for future use and decor.. needless to say, the plans have changed. Which I'm sure they will a.few.more times. Talk of a stationary front bed , a small dinette in the side center and a side center bathroom were also diff ideas. I love looking at all the different ways folks have remodeled/ renovated what they have.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
hmmmmm, what is the actual interior wall to wall measurements

Does anyone know where i can find the actual wall to wall, window and door measurements for the 70 land yacht overlander rearbath twin model?? we were told we needed to get something on paper, idea wise fast so we can start replacing interior components... what I would like is something that shows the actual measurements if at all possible so i dont have to drive down and measure it out lol thank you
Old 03-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Boy, I don't know the answer to that one. Airstreams are rounded, not square at all. Fitting a new cabinet is a trial and fit exercise, at least it was for me.

Sorry I can't help.

David
Old 03-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
That's fine. Was going to try and find a floor plan online. Just looking to see window and door width and space between.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Lafayette , Louisiana
I recently purchased a '72 overlander international and have decided to pull everything out of the bathroom. Do you have websites/resources for replacements, i.e...bathtub or shower stall, vanity, etc? Also suggestions for wall treatment/paint would be appreciated. I am on a tight budget, so expense is an issue. thanks. enjoying your thread
clarezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarezy View Post
I recently purchased a '72 overlander international and have decided to pull everything out of the bathroom. Do you have websites/resources for replacements, i.e...bathtub or shower stall, vanity, etc? Also suggestions for wall treatment/paint would be appreciated. I am on a tight budget, so expense is an issue. thanks. enjoying your thread
Hi!! Enjoy your journey and don't let it get you discouraged. We pulled everything out of ours down to the plumbing. Saved everything. We aren't sure how to we want to put it back together yet. We look on these forums, Instagram and Pinterest for ideas and inspiration. As soon as it comes.back from the shop where it had it's floor repaired and few other things done, we will take an Internal measurement. Wall to wall and windows and door sizes. Put a few different layouts on paper and play with a roll off painters tape inside where we might put stuff. Replacing roof fans, a/c unit, copper pipes , toilet and new refrigerator. Removing all propane and lines except for the tanks outside which will be used for propane grill outside, stove/oven, water tank and hot water heater. Replacing heat source with mini might Marine wood stove, new fridge, storable elec cooktop, on demand tankless hot water unit.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdmezurek View Post
Hi!! Enjoy your journey and don't let it get you discouraged. We pulled everything out of ours down to the plumbing. Saved everything. We aren't sure how to we want to put it back together yet. We look on these forums, Instagram and Pinterest for ideas and inspiration. As soon as it comes.back from the shop where it had it's floor repaired and few other things done, we will take an Internal measurement. Wall to wall and windows and door sizes. Put a few different layouts on paper and play with a roll off painters tape inside where we might put stuff. Replacing roof fans, a/c unit, copper pipes , toilet and new refrigerator. Removing all propane and lines except for the tanks outside which will be used for propane grill outside, stove/oven, water tank and hot water heater. Replacing heat source with mini might Marine wood stove, new fridge, storable elec cooktop, on demand tankless hot water unit.
We are planning on painting the interior a shade of white, reusing most of the wood panels, possibly the white closet unit from our rear bath, the shower unit. The vanity will be built and new sink and toilet Installed. We don't have a huge savings for redoing this airstream, so we will use our resources and recycle where needed! Hope this helps
Old 03-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Leak test, passed!! Waiting on new step !
Old 03-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi: What leak test passed? I assume it was of the entire shell, correct? There is also a leak test of the fresh water plumbing and propane piping. Just wondering. Passing any test is good news. I will leak test the body on my Overlander someday. I did so on the Trade Wind and had some 8 leak points to seal up. Vintage Airstreams are leaky son of a guns.

David
Old 03-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Lol, yes the shell!! Sorry about that. Said there were a few places at window seals. But those will be taken care of at a later time..
Old 03-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for the clarification. Well that is good news indeed. David